Hawaii..Which Island or Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan a 2 week vacation in Hawaii for June of 2006. We have never been before so we have many questions. Should we split our time between islands and if so which islands. We prefer staying in Villas so we were thinking either 2 weeks on one island or 1 week on 2 different islands. We love snorkleing and definitly want to spend time at the beaches but would also like to have other activities available to us. We will be a party of 6, my husband, my self, our 2 children (10 and 13) and my parents. We are not interested in nightlife and prefer something less commercialized. Any help yu could provide would be grteatly appreciated.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"less commercialized" would be parts of Kauai or Big Island. Which is funny because for a 1st time trip I'd usually suggest Oahu and Maui as a good introduction.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I agree with Suze. If you're going to do 2 weeks, I'd definitely split it up between 2 islands, maybe even 3.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM

With two weeks, you have time for all 4 major islands. But 2 or 3 would be better. It really depends on what you want to spend for the trip.

I prefer Oahu because it has the most things to do.

List of things to do on Oahu

These are some hints/suggestions for things to do and see on Oahu. Many of the websites listed are good for all islands.

Arizona Memorial: (free) get there early, preferably by 8am. Opens at 7:30am. If you get there after 10am the lines can get long and you may spend 1-2 hours in line. Battleship USS Missouri and Submarine USS Bowfin are in the same area. These are about $15 each so you can go or skip them. Look for coupons in brochures for two for one. You can take pictures of them from Arizona Visitors Center and the Arizona tour ferry. Go on the lawn behind the Visitor's Center for great pictures. You can also walk around the Bowfin Memorial area for free without taking the tour. Its worth the time. The Swap Meet is only a couple blocks from here at Aloha Stadium.

Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC): www.polynesia.com General Admission about $40, but I prefer the buffet package ($55) or the luau buffet package ($75). The evening 'Horizon' show is the best Polynesian show in all of Hawaii. It comes with all ticket price options. The higher priced ticket packages get the better seating for 'Horizons'. Also the earlier you get there, the better the seating is for 'Horizons'. The Ali'i Luau Show that is part of the luau package is also a good Polynesian show. IMAX, Canoe Pageant, Samoa and Tonga villages and Canoe ride are the best other attractions (these are included with any type ticket). Plan on this as an all day event. Get there by 1pm (earlier if possible), leave around 9:30pm. When I take visitors, I try to keep on this schedule: IMAX 1:30, Canoe Pageant 2:30, Samoa 3:00, Tonga 4:00, Canoe Ride around 4:30, regular buffet or Ali'i luau buffet 5pm and 'Horizons' at 7:30. The other villages are nice also, but there is not enough time for all of them. You will have time to do some shopping or looking around between the buffet or luau and 'Horizons'. Closed on Sundays. You can go back for free for two days. Check with PCC employees for instructions before leaving the Center if you want the extra days.

Diamond Head Summit: Drive right into the crater and hike to the top. ($5 per carload or $1 each if you walk into the crater). I prefer to drive in. Awesome 360 degree view from the summit. Best time is around 8am or around 4pm. In between it can get hot walking to the top. Takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours roundtrip.

Punchbowl (National Cemetery of the Pacific): (free) While you are there, drive to the overlook area. Short walk to the summit that overlooks the entire city. If you have time, take the Mt. Tantalus/Round Top drive through a rain forest. Stop at the Puu Ualakaa State Wayside about 2/3 of the way to the top of the mountain. It has an awesome view of the city from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. Punchbowl is near the bottom of Mt. Tantalus.

Hanauma Bay: Snorkel. Its for any age. You can rent snorkeling equipment there or some places in Waikiki or bring your own. Closed on Tuesdays. Try to get there as early as possible. If you drive, the parking lot gets filled up by 9:00 or 10:00. ($1 for parking, $5 for each person). You can reserve snorkel tours with several companies. They provide equipment, transportation, etc. They seem to have better equipment than the park does. You can also take the city bus. But the first city bus doesn't leave Waikiki until 8:30 am. Website: http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/f...ay/welcome.htm

Byodo-In-Temple (Valley of the Temples): $2 each. Just past Kaneohe.

Chinaman's Hat: (free) Kualoa Regional Park is just past Byodo-In-Temple. Nice for pictures, picnic, swimming.

Swap Meet: You can buy almost any souvenirs here much cheaper than anywhere else. All items are new. Vendors wrap around the stadium twice. Located at Aloha Stadium near Arizona Memorial. Open Wed, Sat, Sun.

Hilo Hattie's: Nice place to shop. Higher prices than swap meet, but not too much more on many items. Has good selection of clothing, candies and souvenirs. Check brochures for coupons. Can take free Hilo Hattie's shuttle from Waikiki.

Ala Moana Beach Park: (free) Nice beach. Great sunset location in the winter. Walk all the way out to the end of Magic Island. Great view of Waikiki, Diamond Head, Ala Wai Boat Harbor (shown in opening scene of Gilligan's Island).

Hike to Manoa Falls: (Free) You can drive right up to the trailhead and park for free. Or you can pay a few bucks in a nearby lot to have someone "watch" your car. One mile one way. Short hike through a rain forest also bamboo there. Treetops restaurant there (at the previous Paradise Park site) has a good Chinese buffet.

Hike to Makapuu Point Lighthouse: (free) Great view from here. Easy one mile hike. In winter months (mid-November to mid-April) it's great for whale watching.

Other Hiking on Oahu:
http://www.hawaiitrails.org/ (good for all islands)
http://www.backyardoahu.com/
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/oahuhikingtrails/home.html
http://oahuhiking.com/

North Shore Beaches: Haleiwa, Banzai Pipeline (Ehukai Beach), Waimea Beach, Sunset Beach, Shark's Cove & Chun's Reef. Chun's Reef has sea turtles. Other nice stops for pictures in the area. Can be huge waves in winter. Good snorkeling at Shark's Cove and Chun's Reef in the summer.

Other beaches: There are close to 100 beaches on Oahu. Besides North Shore and Waikiki beaches these are some of the better ones: Makaha Beach (west shore), Waimanalo Beach, Lanikai Beach, Sandy Beach, Hanauma Bay and Kailua Beach (east/Windward side), Ala Moana Beach Park (south shore). All public beaches are free except Haunama Bay.

Dole Pineapple Plantation: On H-2 just past Wahiawa. Can visit on the way to or back from the North Shore. Nice gift shop to browse, but expensive. Go behind the center for pineapple exhibits and carp feeding pond.

Kualoa Ranch: Several movies have been set here: (Jurassic Park, Mighty Joe Young and others), ATV rides, horseback riding, tours. Located across from Kualoa Regional Park.

Waikiki: Beaches, shopping, dining, nightclubs, shows, some museums. Wide range in dining prices. $3-4 breakfasts, $6-10 lunch buffets, $20-$25 fine dining and anywhere in between. Best Waikiki shows: Creation: A Polynesian Journey, John Hirokawa's Magic of Polynesia, Society of Seven, Blue Hawaii (Elvis impersonator), many more to chose from. Many Waikiki shows offer cocktail show along with the dinner show. They seat you after everyone else has eaten. Regular price of shows around $40-$60. Cocktail show about $25-$35. There are several short free hula shows and other demonstrations in Waikiki daily. Check the brochures for location, days and times. Check brochures for coupons for shows/dining/shopping, etc.

Downtown Area: Aloha Tower (take elevator to the top, nice view), Chinatown, Hawaii Maritime Center, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, other museums.

Botanical Gardens: Oahu has many botanical gardens. Most are free, the others charge a few bucks. Haiku Garden in Kaneohe is nice and is a nice stop if you are taking an island driving tour. Located near Byodo-In-Temple (Valley of the Temples). Check brochures or get info on-line. Search: oahu botanical gardens

Other: Sea Life Park, Zoo, Aquarium, dinner cruise, whale watching cruise, submarine tours, parasailing, helicopter tours, horseback riding, Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park, scuba, surfing lessons, other luau shows (Germaine's, Paradise Cove). Many other attractions, things to do. Check the brochures.

Brochures: (free) Can be found in the airport baggage claim area or at hundreds of news stands throughout Waikiki, in hotels, in stores, and at some attractions. These are excellent "things to do and see" guide books (maps, attractions, beaches, dining, night clubs, etc.). There are a lot of coupons in these for dining, shopping, etc. The best brochures are: 'This Week on Oahu', 'Oahu Gold', '101 Things Oahu', 'The BEST of Oahu'. Some of these brochures can also be found for other islands (Maui, Kauai, Big Island) unique to that island. Most of these brochures also have on-line versions.

Websites:
www.thisweek.com 'This Week On Oahu' They will send up-to-date brochures for a few bucks. Also This Week Maui, Kauai, Big Island.
www.spotlighthawaii.com 'Oahu Gold' They will send up-to-date brochures for a few bucks. Also Maui Gold, Big Island Gold, Kauai Gold.
www.gohawaii.com This is the official site for Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau. They will send a free brochure.
www.101thingstodo.com
www.visit-oahu.com Oahu Visitors Bureau, for free brochure 1-877-525-6248 (toll free)
www.hawaii.com Good site for comparing hotel locations, prices, etc.
www.hawaiiweb.com
www.alternative-hawaii.com
www.portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii
www.alohatower.com
www.honolulu.hawaii.edu/tours
www.driveguidemagazines.com
www.hawaii-hotels.com Compare hotels
www.bookit.com Compare hotels
www.alohafriends.com
www.alohafriendshawaii.com
www.honoluluadvertiser.com one of two main Honolulu newspapers, has dining & entertainment guides, TGIF calendar
www.starbulletin.com one of two main Honolulu newspapers, also has dining & entertainment

Automobiles: Oahu is the only island that you can get around by bus. Oahu has a good bus system, but a rental vehicle gets around a lot better. Parking in Waikiki can be a problem at times. If you plan on renting a car, make sure your hotel allows parking at the hotel or in a nearby lot or garage. Get the parking pass at the hotel registration area. Probably $8-$14/day to park at the hotel. You can get city bus passes at any ABC store in Waikiki for $20 for 4 days ($40/month). Or you can pay $2.00 per trip. There are also many shuttles, tour buses and vans and trolleys that go to many places (some are free).

Internet Search Engines: Use Yahoo, Google, Dogpile or any other search engine to find information on any thing else on Oahu (or other island) that may interest you. Type in: hiking hawaii, hiking oahu, bed and breakfast oahu, condominiums oahu, botanical gardens oahu, oahu hotels or any other terms that will get you information.

Hotels: Most hotels (or hotel chains) have their own 800 numbers and/or websites:
www.outrigger.com
www.sheraton.com
www.ohanahotels.com , etc. Or you can use a search engine to find the website or use the search engine's yellow pages for the phone number.

Entertainment Book
Entertainment books for Hawaii and many other locations can be purchased online at www.entertainment.com. They cost around $35-$40 plus shipping or if you wait until mid-March, the price is reduced to about $25 (or less) with free shipping, $15 after mid-May. Expires November 1.

Coupons include half price tickets for John Hirokawa's Magic Show. Hundreds of other coupons for reduce price luaus, shopping, dining, movies, attractions, etc. The Hawaii book also has many mainland coupons for hotels, car rentals, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.

Phone Cards: If you don't have a cell phone, the best phone cards right now can be found at Costco or Sam's Club. Right now they are only $.03/m, 24 hours a day, seven days a week with no monthly charge. Can be used from pay phones ($.25 or eight units surcharge from pay phone), hotels, homes.

Here's another good site for Maui:
www.mauihawaii.com
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Since you're going in June and you want less commercialization/ no nightlife, I would recommend Kauai (specifically the north shore area). The north shore will take your breath away in June.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM

We did 4 islands in 3 weeks last year (June):
Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, Maui.

If I had 2 weeks I would do 2 islands: Kauai (north shore, Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyons are a must !!) and Maui.
In Maui you can drive up to 3050mt high (over 10,000 feet !!!) to the crater of Haleakala and the view inside the crater and around is magnificant !!
Many choose the bike tour. Groups are taken by minibus up to the crater and then they come down by bike on the paved road !!! It is a very popular tour, if all of you can make it !!??

We had a great time !!

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Thanks Dusty for all the detailed information. The Entertainment book is a great idea! We are leaning towards one week in Maui and one in Kauai.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:17 PM

We did a week in Maui and a week in Kauai and it was perfect. I would do Maui first personally and then hit Kauai. Kauai is just so stunning you should save the best for last!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:52 AM

I think the Maui and Kuaui combination sounds ideal and 1 week each island not too rushed.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 02:42 AM

I'll 3rd the notion to do Kauai and Maui
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for yout input. I feel comfident with our decision. The only concern is will we be missing anything by nout going to Honolulu? Also what can we expect to pay to fly between the islands?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Yes, you will be missing Chinatown, among other things, but I am also in agreement with Kauai and Maui....we just did Maui and Oahu a week ago...it was great...but I REALLY wanted to do Kauai as well!

Save Oahu to do with the Big Island next trip, but definitely DO them! Belle.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Sure of course you'll be missing loads of stuff by skipping honolulu, but you can't do it all in two weeks!

Honolulu offers many cultural, architectural and historical tours like Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Doris Duke ShangriLa, USS Arizona Memorial, Plantation Village, Mission Houses Museum, Queen Emma Summer Palace, Chinatown, etc.

It is a vibrant and brilliant city IMO, but since you specifically mentioned less commercialied and not interested in nightlife, it didn't sound like the best match for your trip this time.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:58 AM

kauai is the best....i would bet my money on it that after this trip, you will want to return again, and this time just stay on kauai
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:56 PM

I grew up in Hawaii moving there with family in 1965,I was 10 and lived ther until 1984, still have family living there.Kauai is ok, I also lived north of Lahina in which I went to high school( oldest high school west of the missippi) Lahinaluna. Lahina is now built up quite a bit, but Hana is, no ka oi, means the best. its a long slow drive from kahalui, senic throughout. very laid back town theres a red sand beach in town. and futher down are the seven sacred falls. check out the heavnly hana inn you can rent a house cheap! molokai is another place of inexpensive lodging the west shore reveals some spectaclur sunsets, and is far laid back than any island. I would'nt exclude the big Island though, you can go n see the lava oozing from the cracks, you can get within inches of it, the south tip is great place as well theres a green sand beach there but its also a 2 hour hike. its the most southern tip of the USA, theres alot of tips I could give ya, too many to list if you have msn messenger add me im [email protected] the best time of year is may all the flowers are in bloom that time of year. I'll tell you more keep in contact and I'll answer your ?'s
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:09 AM

oh by the way honolulu has some of the worst traffic and I've lived I LA, detriot, and the Bay area, stay away from the wainae coast, ie makaha it get rather local that side of the Island. I workrd on a catamerand on kaneohe bay we took people out to a sandbar in the middle of the bay, where your surrounded by water theres a sand bar which in low tide becomes dry sand they bbq lunch have fun then go to a coralhead and snorkel many fish there and a few other sealifes, I was a captain on that boat, its called captain bob's pinic sail
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM

I am glad you are choosing 2 weeks for Hawaii. There is so much to see and do on each Island. Every Island has a unique personality and are different in the must "do's". If water sports our your favorites, the Big Island is the best. The water is a few degrees warmer, and crystal clear. Snorkeling and SCUBA are fantastic off the Kailua Kona Coast. You can swim with dolphins along the Kona Coast, a magical experience! The Active Volcano - Volcano National Park is amazing and a living geology lesson. To come to Hawaii, you do not want to mis the volcano.
Kauai is unqiuely beautiful. There is lots of rain on Kauai. The water activites are not so great,because of river run off creates poor visibility and the water is the most rough and cool. But Kauai is great hiking and is very sweet island. The Big Island and Kauai are the islands with the most Aloha and still feel Hawaiian.
Maui has a feel of southern California, is commerical and expensive. Nonetheless, the trip to Hana is a good day adventure and a sunrise to the top of Haleakala is a must do. Remember is is very cold on the mountain top - about 30 degrees. The bicycle ride down the mountain is a rush and spectacular views.
My vote is Kauai and the Kona Coast of the Big Island. ALOHA!!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM

dwoznia

happy to hear that you picked Maui and Kauai, saving Oahu and Big Island for the next trip !!

You also enquiry about airfare between the islands. I cannot help on this issue but just inform you that you can limit the internal flights to ONE flight only, saving therefore some money.
You can fly either from SFO or LAX to Maui directly, then flying just one time Maui-Kauai and back from Kauai to SFO or LAX directly !!, so you do not have to fly necessarely from CA to HNL.
You will stop and change in HNL on the way from Maui to Kauai or vv but your airfare will be just one !

You can also do the other way round:

SFO or LAX to Kauai, then Kauai to Maui and Maui to LAX or SFO

Ask your airline for such routing !!

have fun !!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:38 AM

dwoznia

I have re-checked some flight schedule connections for you:

LAX = Los Angeles
SFO = San Francisco
OGG = Kahului (Maui)
LIH = Lihue (Kauai)

AA = American Airlines
UA = United Airlines
CO = Continental
DL = Delta
AQ = Aloha Airlines
HA = Hawaiian Airlines

so, coming to possible routings for you:

LAX-OGG : by UA AA DL
SFO-OGG : by UA

LAX-LIH : by UA AA
SFO-LIH : by UA

therefore if you fly through or from SFO I would suggest UA to cover all options and UA or AA if via LAX because DL does not fly to/from LIH

between Maui and Kauai:

OGG-LIH : AQ 4 flights a day 1 STOP
HA 1 flight a day NO STOP !

LIH-OGG : AQ 3 flights a day 1 STOP
HA 1 flight a day 1 STOP

you just have to buy 1 flight only between Maui and Kauai or vv !!

have fun !