Hawaii -where to stay?

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii -where to stay?

We are wanting to plan our first trip to Hawaii.
We're a 30 something couple.
Normally go to Negril, Jamaica or Mexico but we are wanting to explore other places.
I have been searching and searching online for a place to stay that is somewhat like where we stay @ in Negril. Which is a 1-2 acre property w/ a couple of houses on it, in a cove with water access.
What we are looking for:
-Not hotels, resorts or condo's
-privacy, secluded
-surrounded by the local flair and very laid back
-inexpensive
-does Not need to be a luxury 5 star location. We are used to open air, no tv's etc..
-snorkeling, Snorkeling, snorkeling
-great restaurants a +++ especially vegetarian friendly. Not for me I love seafood!
-on the cliffs would be Wonderful w/ water access but the beach is ok
-lush foliage & lots of fruit tree's on the property -yum yum
-and a great view of the ocean and mountains
So am I asking for too much..??..
Any help, advice would be greatly GREATLY appreciated!!
Catherine
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll be watching this thread, holding my breath, because if there IS an *inexpensive*, laid back place with everything you request... I'm sooooo in!!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
character

You'd better define "inexpensive" in terms of dollars. No one could determine if your wish list was unrealistic or not without having an idea of how much your accomodation budget really is.

You are basically describing a www.vrbo.com type of place. There are some places on The Big Island that have been previously mentioned in posts that sounded similar, but they weren't on the water.

How much time do you have? What in Hawaii do you want to see or do other than what you have mentioned?

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Well to us a vacation isn't a vacation unless you have 2-3 weeks. Any less is a waste of time to me 'unless' it is only a few hours away.
Inexpensive to me for Hawaii, hmm, guess a max of around $150/night maybe a little more. Of course thats jumping out of inexpensive a bit.
Snorkeling & great restaurants is our main thing but we also would like an excursion or 2 to see the beauty of Hawaii & the culture. But nothing too adventurous. Laid back & relaxation is key.
Nothing fancy. We're used to staying in places that have a roof, walls, fans, bathroom, small kitchen and not much else. The rest we bring w/us.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Yea Suze,
Think I may be asking for too much.
Know that Hawaii wont be as inexpensive as Jamaica but guess thats the main reason why we always go to Negril.
We get our own house on private secure property w/ water access. Know there has to be 1001 pictures of me sitting back on the patio taken from the people on tour boats. if they only knew what little we paid compared to their stay @ Sandals.
Not to mention our cove is the best snorkeling around right @ our feet and you can buy the catch of the day from the fishermen floating by. then cook it yourself or have the cook make it in the restaurant (only used if asked in advance).
Plus 2 of the best restaurants on each side of us. One expensive & one inexpensive..
Geez listen to me.. guess I'll be going back to Negril this year.. lol
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM
character

You shouldn't miss out on Hawaii. You could easily enjoy 2 or 3 islands with 2 or 3 weeks.

Your budget is a bit on the low-ish side for a beachfront place. You might try looking at northshore Kauai. They have many really nice looking places. I'd suggest Hana area on Maui, Puna or Kalapana areas on The Big Island, also.

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM

No recommendations for Hawaii,but would love to know where you stay in Negril, since we've been going there for 30 years. Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I agree with character. We LOVE Hawaii and own a timeshare on Kauai. I have been to all of the islands and there is pletty to do on each so you may want to visit more than one if you are going to be there for longer than a week.

Hawaii is in no way cheap but there are places like you mentioned but they might not be right on the beach. I'd suggest contacting a realtor on the island that you want to stay on and see what types of rentals they may have available.

There are also places to eat that are cheaper but you have to look for them....it's where the locals go.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Character,
Thanks for the info. I have been checking out places in the Hana area etc.
Know I found a place a couple of years ago that was reasonably priced but of course I cant find it now.. It was pretty sweet though, even had a small waterfall that lead down to the water access. I rembr it was south Maui west of Hana down by the tip.
I'll keep searching though and if I find what I'm looking for I'll post it Suze..
Weadles,
I'm talking about Citronella.
I know some people on certain forums have said bad things about it but I have NEVER ever had a problem of any kind.
& I normally stay in one of the two houses directly behind Sexy Rexy's.
& I'm sure you realize the restaurants I am talking about now.
I cant wait to have one of LTU's banana daiquiri's, pumpkin soup & coconut shrimp!! Yum-o!!
Oh, A patty & coco bread from the bakery & sit back @ the hammock park & get a drink from Dennis.. Mmmm..
10 months to go!!
Oh & do you know what happened to negril.com website if you use it? I went there today or tried to, it has been quite awhile & it was like it disappeared..
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Catherine:
If you are looking for seclusion, Hana is your place. It takes 3 hours on the Road to Hana just to get to Hana! There is a wonderful state park just before you get into Hana called : "Wai‘anapanapa" with a fabulous black sand beach and great caves to go exploring in. My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon and his brother recently got married there so we got a second honeymoon within one year!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
character

The downside of Hana is that the restaurant options are discouraging.

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM

I travel to Mexico myself, when I don't go to Hawaii. You simply can't compare the two places in terms of price (same as Jamaica to Hawaii).

I do have several hotels that are in your price range ($75-125), but they are in Waikiki, which while it has snorkeling and great restaurants, it is in noooo way isolated, private, secluded, lush, etc.

I've not been yet but sounds like the island of Kauai would be your best bet.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Hi Catherine. Suggest you check out Napili Shores or Napili Point... Maui. The price, room views, beach snorkling should be to your liking.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM

I would suggest some time at the North Shore of Oahu. Secluded from the Waikiki tourist madness and a great beach cove next to the hotel. Tons of beautiful beaches for snorkeling (obviously dempends on what time of year you go). I went last May, the weather and water was great. I stayed in a condo at Turtle Bay in Kahuku. Search vrbo.com for places on the North Shore, the condo I was in was $125/nt. There are great restaurants in Haleiwa...about a 30 min drive from Turtle Bay. My husband is vegeterian and didn't have trouble finding anything to eat and if you stay in a condo you can always make some meals out of your kitchen.
We also love Kihei in Maui, beautiful beaches and excellent snorkeling, but not secluded. Best weather on the island and tons of restaurants and condos to choose from.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM

While I love Hana and have stayed there, there is no snorkeling that I know of, so be aware of that.

I can't think of anything that fits your price range that comes close to meeting all of your requirements.

We have similar interests and have found major satisfaction in Hanalei on Kauai. You can find a semi-modest rental there for $150 a night. Walking distance to Hanalei Bay and beach, and to town for drinks and eats. 10-15 minute drive to excellent snorkeling and great beaches at Makua or Ke'e. You might also look into Haena. The are rentals in this more rural area that would fit your price range and is more secluded than Hanalei.

Another area that popped in to my mind is the Puako area on the BI.

Look into the east end of Molokai as well.

Good luck and enjoy the islands.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:59 AM

The term "Old Hawaii" is used to describe exactly what you are looking for (character, nature, local flair).

Based on your criteria, my suggestions are:

MAUI:
Lahaina is a good match and you can get even more inexpensive lodging in Kihei which is a short drive away. Lahaina is touristy (in a laid back way) and has excellent dining.

Paia: on Maui's North Shore is a historic plantation town with Makawao (Hawaiian cowboy town w/ endless vegetarian and holistic options) nearby. My fave restaurant is a short drive away: Haliimale General Store http://www.bevgannonrestaurants.com/
Another VERY popular fresh seafood restaurant is Mama's Fish House
http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/ (which incidentally also rents out beach cottages)

http://www.paiamaui.com/

In my opinion, Hana on Maui is very beautiful but WAY too secluded and very far away from a town where you can get your great dining.

KAUAI:
Hanalei side. You've got a beautiful bay and gorgeous mountains.

BIG ISLAND:
Waimea/Kamuela: upcountry and very lush (not on the beach). Your excellent uncrowded sugar sand beach of Hapuna and Mauna Kea with great snorkeling are about 15 minutes away. I haven't stayed here, but it's bookmarked in my faves: Jacaranda Inn http://www.jacarandainn.com/ a cluster of luxury cottages at reasonable prices.
Merriman's is an excellent dining option in town.

As far as lodging....I'd do a search for "B & B's" once you narrow down the island and then location.

I love VRBO.com for direct vacation rentals from it's owners. This is an excellent resource.

Also, Tripadvisor.com is a wealth of info from travelers like us who make comments, rate, review and share photos on properties/locations.

Good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
character

I have to disagree with adventureseeker:

1. Lahaina is a very touristy town, by far the most touristy on the island of Maui. As an example, you have to get there by about 8:30 am to get a parking place. You will be walking past innumerable T-shirt/souvenier shops to get to your fine dining. It is worth a one-day visit, but it is nothing at all like what you have listed as your want list.

2. Kihei is a cheap version of Lahaina filled with condos. Filled.

3. Paia is becoming a cool place to visit- for everyone. Traffic is unbelieveable. Mama's is a great restaurant, but really very touristy and expensive. My party felt it was overpriced on our last visit. $57 for an entree? The beach cottage adjacent is perfect for someone who wants to spend their time in Hawaii eating at Mama's, (Which has an immense appeal), but the water is far far too rough for snorkeling, and it's hardly private and secluded.

4. Waimea/Kamuela is a half rainy/half windy town. You would be better off on the beach at Puako, although there are only houses or limited condos for rent. The drive from Kamuela to the beaches is not one I would be happy with doing every day.

I think adventureseeker has given you advice centered around dining. None of the restaurants mentioned are inexpensive. I think you should look at north Kauai- Hanalei or Ha'ena.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM

privacy, secluded, lush
inexpensive
great restaurants

I'm afraid, yes, that you are "asking too much". I don't think your list is realistic for anywhere in Hawaii I can think of. You can get many of those things, but not all of them in the same place.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM

What Suze said ...
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM

You could not get a decent room at a Great Western in Fresno for $150, so why set yourself for a disappointment.. Just head back to Negril.

Anna Roz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -