hawaii trip, need oahu help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I have just about got our anniversary trip in May planned. Bought the Big Island and Maui Revealed books. What is a good guide book for Oahu?? Also has anyone taken a dinner cruise in Waikiki/Honolulu? Thought that might be something nice for our anniversary dinner and wondered what everyones experience with them were. Thanks. Counting the days to our trip.

Susan
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Aloha Susan,

A great guide book for O'ahu is Richard Sullivan's, "Driving & Discovering O'ahu"... great pics and info.

I have not heard good reviews about the dinner cruise in Waikiki... consider some of the restaurants... there are so many and possibly the sunset cruise on a catamaran... they sail from the beach near Duke's.

If you do an O'ahu or Waikiki restaurant search, you'll find a wealth of reviews.

Have a great time! Happy Anniversary!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Took the Ali'i Kai Polynesian catamaran dinner cruise. Big mistake! It was completely crammed with wall-to-wall, wildly gyrating, thoroughly drunken Japanese tourists out to party like there was no tomorrow. Food was dried out and overcooked. Seats were hard and uncomfortable. Felt like I was stuck in really bad movie.

For an elegant dinner, consider the Star of Honolulu boat.

Ken
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Agreed -- Star of Honolulu is a beautiful vessel, but...

For some strange reason, large parties will book themselves onto these boats and then party like idiots (which usually ruins the sunset dinner cruise for all other passengers). Sometimes the cruises are delightful, but there are no guarantees.

The sunset catamaran ride from Duke's or the Hilton is fun (no major food involved, however) -- and then have your anniversary dinner on shore at one of the great oceanfront restaurants (Halekulani Hotel, New Otani Kaimana Beach, or...).
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM
lyb

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM

I second the suggestion of Richard Sullivan's, "Driving & Discovering O'ahu. We especially liked this book because the author shows you exactly where you can stand to take the same pictures that appear in the book. The photography in this book is awesome. I also purchased his Maui book in addition to Maui Revealed. Maui Revealed is certainly more detailed, and packed with info. However, we used the "Driving and Discovering Maui" to get an idea of what different areas looked like to decide if we wanted to make the trip (and also the best vantage points for great pictures!) The Maui Revealed authors are working on an Oahu book; however, it probably won't be available for your trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM

DEFINITELY have a drink at the Halekulani at sunset. It is SO romantic and peaceful. La Mer would be a fabulous choice for anniversary dinner if you like french food- some do not. It is OUTSTANDING- but VERY French. Congrats on the anniversary... have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. I think we will just go to a nice restaurant for our anniversary. But which to choose, sounds like there are many great ones!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:54 AM

They may not be for everyone, but last year we really enjoyed our sunset cruise on the Navatek in Oahu. The food didn't stand out one way or another (except that we got full) but we weren't there for that. We wanted to ride a nice boat, with beautiful views and entertainment and we got it. We had a great performer...did a great cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" and to this day everytime we hear it...instantly transplanted back to Hawaii! There were people dressed up, some in "dressy" shorts and all wearing smiles. Not too many children. We used the entertainment card for 2 for 1 buffet meal, great deal, but guess they also had a fancier meal on the upper level. Think our entertainent was better. Even if you don't go for your anniversary, would highly suggest fitting it in.
Next time taking the lil kiddies so we'll just catch the catamaran off the beach.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:30 AM

I think the Star and Navatek are nice for the view etc.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM

Hi, we are going this april and we too were wondering about the dinner cruises. we will be with our 13 and 14 year olds. Any suggestions on the best dinner, entertainment, and of course the nicest boat. We are deciding between the Star of Honolulu and the Navatek. Which one has more room to roam, good view decks and a luxury feel..any help would be nice..thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:33 PM

The Star is bigger and may have more entertainment. The Navatek is newer and seems cleaner to me.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM

Dinner at La Mer is a wonderful experience. We had a table for two by the window that was open to the gardens and ocean beyond. Soft sounds of music floating up, waves hitting on the shore, candle light, awesome food (they didn't have creme brulee on the menu and when I casually mentioned it, our waiter had one made!!). Service was impeccable. Best meal I've ever had on Oahu.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:00 AM

I agree with cmeyer54, La Mer, in the Halekulani Hotel is superb. The food was outstanding, the service amazing. Funny though, the thing I remember most is after the salad course, we were served a scoop of champagne sorbet in a crystal goblet, on a hand crocheted doily on a silver salver, to (and I quote the waiter here) "cleanse your palate for the next course". Simply amazing and VERY expensive.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM

I've been to Alan Wong's, Roy's, Hoku's, John Dominis, Bali by the Sea, Chai's, 3660, D.K. Kodama's, Padovani's, etc. All great!

The most romantic? La Mer. Unadulterated indulgence. If you have the money, go for it!
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Had lunch at Orchids at the Halekulani Hotel today. The setting was wonderful. The food was good. It was around $20 per person.

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:16 AM

I agree with PakePorkChop, those are all excellent choices. I think one of my best romantic meals was at Bali By The Sea. Since you are visiting Hawaii, though, you probably want a fabulous dinner with a view. Try the Hanohano Room in the Sheraton, or Aaron's in the Ala Moana Hotel. If you go to Roy's, make a reservation for 5 or 5:30...that way you can watch the sun set as you are eating. Plus, the crowd comes in around 7, and it gets unbearably noisy then, which will kill your romantic buzz!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I certainly hope you don't have reservations at the Park Shores Hotel on the Waikiki Strip near Diamond Head! It was the worst hotel in the world. Hotels.com would not let us out of our 7 day stay without losing $1600, so we were stuck. Jump ship now if you are staying there and get your money back before it's too late!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your great advice-I think we will need to eat our way through Hawaii!! We are counting down the days-leave May 6 and home May 25. Everyone has been so helpful.

Susan