Hawaii trip: May '08

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is planning a trip to Hawaii for next May. We plan on staying for 10 nights. We know we want to go to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Pearl Harbor, and we want to spend most of our time on Kauai. We would also like to climb either Koko Head or Diamond Head while we are on Oahu. Where would you recommend staying? We would like to stay at a place near, if not on, the beach in Kauai (a vacation rental house, B and B, etc. We don't want to stay in a large hotel. We are trying to get the more local feel of Hawaii.) We love to surf but we are beginners. Where would you recommend taking a refresher lesson? Where should we rent surfboards at and what are some of the best beginner surf breaks (on Kauai)? Which would you recommend climbing: Koko Head or Diamond Head? We are all very fit and are leaning towards climbing Koko Head. We don't really want to fight those crowds at Diamond Head and would love to talk to the locals. Thank you for all your help!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Three islands with 10 nights would be pushing it.

I have not done Koko Head, but it is supposed to be nice. If it is early May you might see some whales from there as it is one of the places on the island where they count whales.

Makapuu Lighthouse Trail is also only a few miles from there. It also has a nice view & you might see whales from there.

If you don't want to fight crowds on Diamond Head, then go real early.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Ag3046

Chose 2 islands for 10 days. With 3 islands, you are going to spend more than a day at airports, alone.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM

My family is also planning a 10 day trip to Hawaii for next March. We're staying 5 nights on B.I. & 5 on Kauai. I haven't been to either island in 20 years (since I was a teenager) so I can't give you any up-to-date, first hand experience, but we're planning to stay in a 2 bedroom condo at Kiahuna Plantation on the south shore of Kauai. We found it through VRBO.com. I've read lots of positive things about it so I'm hoping for the best. It's right on a nice beach adjacent to the Sherton Hotel and has lovely grounds. I might have opted for the North Shore if I were going in May, which is less rainy from what I've read.

I'm still figuring out where to stay on the big island but it will most likely be a condo at Mauna Lani or Waikoloa resort areas.

I'm afraid I don't know nuthin' about surfing spots. . .

Happy planning. I know I'm enjoying it.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM

Agree with other posters that while possible, seeing 3 islands well and enjoying them in just 10 days would be impractical. You should choose two, and the two you choose depends on the activities your family wants to participate in.

For surf information on Oahu: http://www.concierge.com/destination...tail/?id=12083

If you choose to spend some time on Oahu, you should climb Diamond Head, if only to say that you've been to the landmark. You could also do a couple of hikes and might enjoy kayaking (http://www.twogoodkayaks.com/MainPage.html -- there are other companies, but this website might be a good start).

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM

same here, i'd stick with two islands and everything you want to do can be done on oahu and bi.

if you decide on kauai, wailua beach across old cocopalms is good for novice surfers. there are also lessons for windsurfing. the links provided are kinda pricey, but there's also locals that park at beaches (poipu, wailua and kelia come to mind) and advertises surf lessons, charges approx 35/2hrs

http://www.wailuabay.com/articles/kauaisurf.html

http://www.tombarefoot.com/kauai/kauai_waterski.html
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM

We just spent 10 days in Hawaii in August-5 Big Island and 5 Kauai. I would not try to do 3 islands. There is so much to see on those two alone, and the Big Island is just that-BIG!

I would stay a few days in Kona and maybe 2 nights at VNP on the Big Island but totally depends what you want to see/do while you're there. I highly recommend Kilauea Lodge outside of VNP.

On Kauai, we stayed on the North Shore in Hanalei at Hanalei Colony Resort which is condos. Our unit was literally steps from the water, and the view was spectacular. The resort is a little ways from the nightlife of Princeville (only because the roads are so curvy). We also stayed on the South Shore, but we preferred the sights and activities in the North...with the exception of Waimea Canyon which is a must-see.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM

We just got back from a week on Kauai and wish we didn't have to leave. We rented an amazing condo on the north shore in Princeville. We had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and the best views ever (all oceanfront!) I don't know what your budget is, but the place we stayed was first class all the way. We didn't get any rain during the day but there was rain off and on during the night. It was also rainy in the interior of the island which, according to the locals, keeps the waterfalls going all year. We learned how to surf in Hanalei Bay. It was a gentle, sandy bottom, and it was a blast!! The guy we used has a truck down at the pier and gives lessons all day long, you will definitely get up. There are actually a couple of guys down there and lots of options. Once you take the lessons and feel comfortable you can rent surf boards down in the little town of Hanalei. We also hiked the Kalalau (spelling??) trail all the way to the waterfall. It took most of the day, but it was worth it. The trail ends at the waterfall (ice cold, by the way!But it refreshes you for the return trail). The views up and down the coast were beautiful--we've been around a lot and haven't seen beauty like the Na Pali Coast. The condo we stayed in was right next to the Princeville hotel and you can go to their website and deal with the owners directly to get a better rate than the hotel. We are saving our money to go again! www.kauaidreamer.com
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help! We have changed our plans for mid April, so hopefully there will be a better chance of spotting some whales. Once I read your comments about 10 days not being enough for 3 islands, I talked the rest of my family into going for 12 days at least, maybe 2 weeks. We still want to spend the most time on Kauai. We hope to do a helicopter tour type thing in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We are hoping to see the Na'Pali Coast(sp.??) by a snorkel boat tour. We also want to float down the irrigation ditch in Lihue. Are we missing any must-sees? Again, thank you so much for all your help and advice!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

I have been reading about Queen Emma's Bath. Is it safe to go there in April? (I read about the waves in winter in the fodors book) Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:20 AM

I would not recommend going to Queen's Bath ever, especially in April when the surf will could still be pounding. There was someone swept off the rocks there last spring I believe. It is dangerous getting there, potentially dangerous while there and now that it is very popular it is like being at the community swimming pool on a summer's afternoon. It was one of the most underwhelming things we did on our first trip to Kauai.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Will the waves be calmer on the North Shore or the South Shore in April? We don't want to be in the water somewhere with huge waves! Thanks!