Hawaii - Ritz Carlton vs. The Fairmont in Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should just go with my first choice -- but now I am debating between the Ritz Carlton and The Fairmont. Can anyone give an opinion and why they feel that way. My concern with the R-C is the weather in that part of Hawaii -- windy and possibly rainy and then the hotel is supposed to be set back from the ocean. But we keep hearing that the R-C is an outstanding hotel. I am so confused! Any help please.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Loungin

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui for our Honeymoon last May. One word to describe this hotel......OUTSTANDING. It has everything you can possible want in a hotel. Every room is a suite and very spacious. Every room has its own Lanai or balcony. It has a great spa and gymnasium if you're interested in working out while on vacation. The pools are beautiful and we really enjoyed the adult only pool, very relaxing. The beach area is gorgeous with plenty of room, great views of Molokai and Lanai. It has, in my opinion, the best restaurant I've ever experienced in Nick's Fishmarket. Great food with the best service I've ever experienced. All in all the Kea Lani is a gorgeous hotel. You can't go wrong.

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I think the thing you have to ask yourself is whether or not the "extras" that the Ritz will provide are worth the extra money. I will second everything the previous poster said about the Kea Lani. My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon and loved every second of it. And, the weather was perfect for us while we were there. While I haven't stayed at the RC, I stayed at the Four Seasons on Maui a few months after our honeymoon. The 4seasons was BEAUTIFUL, very fancy, great service, but VERY exepensive. Too me, it just wasn't worth the extra money. I'd rather spend a little less, still get a wonderful hotel, and spend the extra $$ on some great meals or activities. But, it's a decision everyone needs to make for themselves. Rest assured, though, the Kea Lani is great.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:01 PM

The Fairmont hands down over the Ritz! The Ritz IMO is way too ostentatious.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:58 PM

In some locations, Ritz Carltons are so formal they seem out of place. I don't know about the one in Maui, but personally I'd rather have a more sunny casual kind of elegance while in Hawaii than the formal heavy furnishings often seen in Ritz Carltons. But again, I haven't seen the property in Maui. I'm sure though, you will have a fabulous time no matter which hotel you pick!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Miranda, the RC on Maui is just like the other RC's you may know in Phoenix, San Francisco, St. Louis, etc etc. The chain obviously feels that it's cheaper to use the same cookie cutter for most every hotel. The sinks, tubs, shower curtains, marble etc in almost every RC I've stayed in have been the same. RC has converted a couple hotels from other ownerships which are less cookie cutter. But the Maui one is "RC generic".