Reload this Page >

Hawaii rental condo suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:41 AM
peg

(I posted this already, but even though I selected "Hawaii" section, I neglected to put "Hawaii" in the header, so it went into "general area," that's why I'm reposting).

Hi --Seeking suggestions for a rental condo for 3-4 weeks next winter on the Big Island, Maui or Kauai (preferences in that order). 2 bed, 2 bath, preferably on the beach or walking distance, closeness to "town" not that important, as we'll have a car. Cost is a factor, of course (otherwise, we'd stay at the Ritz ;-). Sorry this request is so vague, but I'm just starting to research, and have no idea where to start... any help most appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Lori

I always recommend the Mahana on Maui, all their units are oceanfront - no surprises when it comes to the view, huge windows in bedrooms & livingroom looking out to Molakai & Lanai. We've st ayed there 5 times. They have 2 bedroom 2 bath units as well and all have a/c, full kitchens, washer/dryer, etc. We always ask for one newly remodeled because they are nicer! There are two 12 story bldgs. with a pool (it's a smallish pool, not a resort style) in the middle and a barbeque area, shuffleboard, chairs, etc. The beach is not fantastic but just to the left of the Mahana is a fabulous beach area, you can also walk along the beach to a public park if you wish. It's about 7 miles from Lahaina and there are stores nearby (grocery store, etc.). It's just north of Ka'anapoli and we love the area because there is so much around there but you are not in the middle of town either. Parking is in two lots behind each of the buildings. Prices vary depending on the time of year and size of the unit but they have a web site so check it out.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Lori

oops - forgot to say that all the units have lanai's too - great to have breakfast out on in the a.m.!!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:36 AM
peg

Hi Lori -- thanks for the suggestion. You'll think I'm a dingbat, but I stayed at the Kahana about 5 years ago, and totally forgot about it (probably because mom, for whom I am doing this research, wanted the big island...). Agree it is a lovely property with great views. Thanks for the reminder! Peg

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Lori

Hi Peg,
The Kahana (Sands of Kahana maybe) is up the road a bit from The Mahana .. they are two different places (have not s tayed at the Kahana but it looks decent).
As for the Big Island it's been awhile since we stayed there (prefer Maui) but I'd recommend the Kona area simply because you are closer to town, i.e. shops and dining. We've stayed at the Keauhou Beach Hotel and it was very nice, but it's a hotel, not condo. It hangs out over a lagoon so it's quite nice. Good luck with your search. Price wise the Big Island should be less expensive then Maui I would think.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 11:22 AM
kam

Start with vacationspot.com. I tried to do this as well, but if you're going over Christmas vacation, you will find that many of the best places will require a minimum 2 week stay. We couldn't take that much time so decided that a hotel room was the better way to go. Some of the hotels even have minimums at that time of year as well. Don't think you will find lower prices on the big island. Know that near Hilo will be rainy so you want to be on the Kona Coast. Good luck.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 01:00 PM
peg

Lori -- hmmm... mahana? kahana...? hmmm. not sure which I was at, but it was as you described in your first message. I probably have the wrong name. Anyway--appreciate the info from everyone (so far). thanks.