Hawaii Planning dates

Sep 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Hawaii Planning dates

Hi everyone,

I am planning my holidays for next year to get my leave from work. Could you please help me with holiday dates in the States, as I am from Australia. We are thinking of going to Hawaii out of a really busy time. When is your Spring and Summer break for 2008. Are the any major "events" in around April-June apart from the fact it is Summer?
Sep 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Ag3046

Slowest time in Hawaii is generally October through the first week in December, and the first week in January.

June gets busy, as many schools are out.

Memorial Day Holiday- last weekend in May is a 3-day holiday, and that can be busier, too, but not at all like the July 4th holiday.

Sep 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
dmlove

jetmel, spring and summer breaks are not standardized here, so some schools get out as early as mid-May and go back in mid-August, and others get out mid-June and don't go back until mid-September. You can count on Hawaii being busy June-July-August.

Christmas break here is general from the Friday before Christmas (this year Dec. 21). Some go back right after New Year's (Jan. 2) and some (probably most) will be off until the following Monday (Jan. 7th).

Spring break is all over the place. It depends whether the school also has a mid-February (called Presidents Day, in honor of the birthdays of both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln)holiday. Everyone gets a 3-day weekend, but a lot of schools have what they call "ski week". That is the week of February 19-23. I'm not sure what percentage of schools have that week off.

Spring break is usually around the end of March, most often associated with Easter Sunday. In 2008, Easter Sunday is April 8th, so you can expect most spring breaks to be the first or second week of April. Spring break is usually only one week.

Hope that helps.

Sep 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM

We have gone in March, April, May and October. (In fact we will be there in 2 weeks.) The weather is always nice, but these months seem to be the quietest. April was my favorite but it can be a little busier because of some school spring breaks. Mid to late April would be best. And the days are longer than they are in October. You can go to weather.com and get a 1 year overview of temps and rain. Enjoy!
Sep 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
dmlove

We've been in January, March, July, August and September. Of all of those, September (the very end) was the emptiest. January was the breeziest.

Sep 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM

We've only been in November (not busy) but early to mid May is holiday free... spring breaks are over and it's before Memorial Day and summer vacation.
Sep 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM

For Hawaii public schools, spring break will be March 17-28. since Esaster will be march 23, there will likely be a lot of places in teh US with school breaks that week. i'd avoid Hawaii during the weeks before and fter. School ends on June 5 and starts up again in August.

Memorial day is always busy...both with tourists and with a lot of graduations- so lots of places booked and more cars on the road.

I'd come later in April or early May if I was choosing.
Sep 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Whoa...should have proofed that above!

Sep 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
dmlove

lcuy is right, Easter Sunday 2008 is March 23rd, not April 8th, as I had written. Plan accordingly!

Sep 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Hawaii does not get the big spring break crowds that other areas get.

Around Easter when Hawaii kids are on spring break, some of the beaches are a little more crowded. You do not have to plan your vacation around this time.

In fact, end of March will still be peak whale season so if you want to see whales, end of March & first part of April will be good.

Lots of Oahu info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

Search this Thread