Hawaii or the Bahamas?

Jun 16th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Hawaii or the Bahamas?

Getting married in mid July and deciding between Kauai (Marriot on Poipu beach) and Pink Sands Beach, Bahamas (Dunmore Beach Club) and Petit St. Vincent. We are looking for secluded beaches,a hotel that is walking distance from the beach and good food?

Is it a better time of year to be in Hawaii or the Bahamas for pleasant weather? Which place is easier to travel to from the west coast of the U.S.(less travel time and plane changes)? I want to hear the pros and cons of each location first before deciding.

I am open to suggestions of different locations and places to stay. Thank you in advance for any future advice.
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:11 AM

The Marriott is not on Poipu Beach.

I wasn't at that exact spot in the Bahamas, but the differences to me are-
Bahamas has more beautiful green/blue swimming pool looking water. Hawaii is more lush with dramatic foliage.
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:30 AM

She might mean Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, which is on Poipu Beach. It just opened, but parts are still under construction, according to the Marriott Hotels website.
Jun 17th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Not sure if you are looking to get married on the beach but my wife and I were wed on the Beach in Front of the Princeville Hotel in Kauai. This location features a sandy beach, with a backdrop of the gentle surf of Hanalei Bay and the impressive Bali Hai Mountain range. We stayed at the neighboring Hanalei Bay Resort instead of the Princeville Hotel to cut down on expense. I believe the Princeville Hotel will satisfy all your needs. We used a local wedding coordinator which I can refer you to with many wedding site options if you are interested. One thing I would check into is if getting married in the Bahamas is a U.S.-legal marriage. The marriage in Hawaii is U.S.-legal but it takes a couple of months to get the Marriage certificate from the state of Hawaii. Congratulations on your wedding! =D>
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM
iceeu2

Well, I of course would pick Hawaii.
We had some friends who were married in Jamaica - at one of the all inclusive resorts and loved it.
I don't remember if they were married at on of the Sandals or Couples or where, but they were very happy with their choice.

Jun 17th, 2003, 05:28 AM

!
Aloha, and add another for Hawaii!! I guarantee that not only will you never have 2nd thoughts about this choice, but you will want to return again and again, as we do each year, and as we are in 9 days to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Yes, there most certainly is a Marriott on Poipu now, just recently opened, on the site of the former Stouffer Waiohai that had been shut down for years since Hurricane Iniki in '92. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!!
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I would suggest you post the same question on the Caribbean board here for more info. The way Fodors has set things up, Hawaii is on the US board but the Caribbean has a separate board.

As far as flying, United flies direct to Kauai (the airport is Lihue-code LIH) from SF & LA. AA also flies direct from LA.

I think you'll find better weather in HI in July (not as hot) & less chance of rain showers. I do think you should consider the north side of Kauai (Princeville) in July. It is more romantic to me.
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Are you looking for a honeymoon spot or wedding location? It will depend on flight schedules and how much time you have. We live on the west coast and would fly to Ft. Lauderadale, change planes and fly to North Eleuthera. When you arrive there you take a 5 minute taxi ride then a 10 minute boat ride to the islane. My husband and I love Harbour Island, Bahamas and have been there many times. The island is very small, romantic, quaint, with a beautiful 4 mile long pink sand beach and outstanding food. There is nothing to do there but relax!! I don't know about the Dunmore Beach Club - when we were there last it looked a little "tired" and in need of renovation. The location, though was wonderful and so was the food.

On the other hand, Kauai is wonderful too. We honeymooned at the old Waiohai on Poipu Beach and loved it.

Either way you can't go wrong. You will love both places!!
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:23 PM

mid July

next month or next year?
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:47 PM

check out the weather that time of year in the Bahamas might be too hot, they also have a storm season when you would not expect it. I forget when it is, but it surprised me, when I found out about it. Hawaii has a rainy season also but not in Summer.

Sorry I can't imagine not choosing Hawaii in any comparison. It is one of the few places I feel compelled to return too and I am fairly well traveled. Well just look up at Margot55's response. Looks like she has had a bit drink, no? That is how we all get shortly before take off.she has been bitten like the rest of us. Now go get bit yourself!
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:01 PM

The Marriott on Poipu Beach is very nice, great location, pretty pool area, some dining within walking distance, Poipu Beach Park is also an easy walk.