Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 - boys are are 17 and 14. We are heading out in a few weeks and everything is booked as far as air, car rental, and hotels (cant make any changes to time frames.)

I'm just having a tough time coming up with a daily itinerary - Or at least a general plan.

On the BI
3 nights at Mauna Kea
2 nights at Kilauea Lodge
Then onto Kauai
3 nights at Westin Princeville
4 nights at the Grand Hyatt

There are so many amazing adventures we can book - but we cant do everything ($$$$$$) -
friends have all sent their suggestions and highlights and I know we want to do the

- Na Pali Coast Boat Ride from the North Shore
- Helicopter (not sure which island)
- DH and DS 1 want to dive - they are both certified... not sure which island or what area is best for this.
- Swimming/Snorkeling with Turtles, Mantas, etc.
- Kilauea Lava viewing (if its visible)
- Surfing lessons
- Hiking

So my questions.....how do I go about getting started on all this? I have spent a week online and getting no where.

Also trying to make a plan for the drive across the BI when we switch from Mauna Kea to Volcano area.

Any amazing websites? Tour Operators? etc?? Anyone with an thoughts - would love feedback!
Also looking to make some restaurant reservations.

Thank You!
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Big Island: Snorkel at Mauna Kea and nearby beaches. (If you want SCUBA, pretty good outfit at the nearby Kawaihae Harbor (Kohala Divers), much easier than driving to Kona. Take your chances on turtles and mantas while snorkeling, or pay big $$ to do the Manta Ray snorkel tour. (Leave the turtles alone )
Drive to the west side is easy, whether you go through Waimea (19)or over scenic Saddle Road (200). If you take the north route (19), you can stop at Akaka Falls or other stops (Lapahoehoe Point) on the way to Hilo, then up to the volcano.
But if you like caves, I love the one at the end of Saddle Road, Kaumana Caves Park (lava tube with old carving, very cool).
You can see the glow from the crater at the top at night, sometimes splashing lava. If you want a flow, it's a bit problematic right now: the (arduous) hike over the basalt to see new lava (from another part of the island, not the park) is questioned by the NPS, because new fissures could indicate another bench collapse is imminent.
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 10:11 AM

Big Island is supposed to have the best diving in the state and I think the manta ray snorkel is also unique to that island.
I've done both Na Pali coast boat ride (but from the west shore) and a helicopter ride, both were great if you can afford both. I liked the boat tour much better, have done 7 vs 2 helis. There is also a fixed wing plane, "Wings Over Kauai", for about half the price of a heli, gets good reviews as well.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Hi -
We are on our 6th trip with sons who are around your boys ages (now 16 & 19). Here is my 2 cents - . we are in Kauai now!
Get the Hawaii Revealed books. They have one for each island. They have excellent sections for activities.

I would definitly do the helicopter ride on Kauai. Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast are teriffic.

When you are up in Princeville here are a couple of things to do.

Go to Ke'e' beach past Hanalei. You can hike part of the Kulalau trail. The beginning has awesome views of the cliffs and sea.

In Hanalei you can rent kayaks at Kayak Haneli and kayak to Hanalei Bay. My boys and husband had fun jumping off the pier.

Kauai has great hiking. Waimea Canyon is a must. Do this when you are at the Hyatt. There are a variety of hiking trails and that book I mentioned suggests a few. Make sure you drive all the way up to the Kokee outlooks.

There is a nice, easy shoreline hike right by the Hyatt - the Maha'ulepu Heritage trail.

Definitly do the Na Pali boat ride from the North shore. My sons are not certified, but they did the dive from the Na Pali boat ride and they didn't see much.

For snorkeling, you can rent gear at Boss Frog (or Snorkel Bobs). Those books I mentioned or a variety of other websites can tell you where to go. You can snorkel right off the beach so I would not pay for a snorkel trip.

For restaurants - there are many good casual places and you wont need advance reservations. You can do it when you arrive. We are in Poipu now (neat the Hyatt) and here are a couple of casual places we like nearby -
Bankock Happy Bowl (Thai)
Kalapaki Joes (sports bar)
Da Crak (burritos) - this is literally a crack in the wall takeout. the boys will like it.

On the BI, we have not been there for a few years, but we stayed at the Marriott on A'Bay which we loved. That beach is Anaeho'omalu Beach. You can snorkel off that beach.

If you have other questions, I will check again later.

Aloha and Mahalo!
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 01:05 PM

From what I've read and experienced, the Big Island has the best snorkeling and diving of the four major islands. But you can find much better snorkeling beaches than Anaeho'omalu - e.g. Makaiwa and Honokaope Bays, just a few miles north in the Mauna Lani Resort property. So the only snorkeling excursion I'd recommend on the Big Island is the manta ray night snorkel, which we found to be amazing. I'd also consider a heli tour over VNP, depending on lava flows at the time, and my wife and I both loved paddling an outrigger with Uncle Gary of Mauna Lani Sea Adventures.

Our two favorite excursions on Kauai have been a heli tour and a Napali Coast with Captain Sundown out of Hanalei. He's a crusty old tar, but actually spends a fair amount of time under sail, which IMO provides the best experience. Surfing lessons are probably best in Hanalei Bay too.

Regarding the transition from Mauna Kea to Kilauea Lodge, add Waipio Valley and Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens to Sylvia's suggestions of possible stops.
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!

I'm filing up my itinerary! I ordered the books from the library. And I've contacted some of the operators to book!!

Yippee!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 05:16 PM

Hello, we did not do any of your islands. We did 8-day in Maui with our family a few years ago.

We booked a timeshare condo on the beach so we can make simple meals & the kids enjoy time at the beach/ pool vs. waiting to orderfood in the restaurant. We have about 2 nice dinners in places that have a great view. A few simple lunches like to go sandwiches/ tacos.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Leaving Hanalei and Princeville now and heading to Poipu any other Recs for hikes and things to do ?? Loved the north shore aooo much!!! Had an amazing time!
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 09:29 AM

http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/kauai/th...vities/hiking/

Isn't the North Shore beautiful! So lush and green. The Poipu area will be just as nice but dryer - great for hiking.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Walk the trail that starts at the Grand Hyatt beach to Mahaulepu. It's a completely different experience from anywhere else on the island and one of my favorites

When you go to Waimea Canyon and Koke'e Park I recommend hiking "The Canyon Trail." As someone else mentioned, be sure to drive to the Kalalau Lookout (past the Koke'e Lodge) and to the lookout just past there. If it is cloudy or rainy give it 20 or 30 minutes and there's a great chance it will clear up. Those views are SPECTACULAR.

Enjoy!

PS. If the timing works out eat at the Shrimp Station (near the bottom of Waimea Canyon) for amazing coconut shrimp. I think they close at 5 pm.