Hawaii islands help.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Jef

Hawaii islands help.

mid august,just have a few questions about some of the islands.On Maui is
the bike ride
on Haleakala worth the trip?How long of a ride is it? Also the road to Hana
how long of a drive is it from Kaanapali Beach? Any luau suggestions?
On Kauai the ride from Poipu to Princeville is it worth it? On the Big Island
how long of a drive is it from Waikola to Volcano Nat'l park? Has anyone
taken route 200.
In general for any of those islands do you have any recommendations of a
helicopter tour and a fishing trip.
Any other suggestions for must see or do and any restaurant
recommendations.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:37 AM
janet

We go to Kauai every year! The difference in scenery is amazing. Princeville is more mountainous and green. There is plenty to see on the way there. Fodor's book on Kauai has a wonderful itinerary for stops along the way. That is what we did the first time there. You may find rain in Poipu, but a clear day in Princeville. If you tour timeshares, Shearwater in Princeville is a good one to see and then Princeville shopping center is right off the main road. Just north of Princeville there are many one lane bridges-on the way to Hanalei. I think it is worth the trip to do it once.
DUKES's in Lihue is by far my best suggestion for restaurants. There is a similar restaurant in Poipu (same chain-different name) but DUKE's is located right on the beach. A MUST is the Hula Pie - save room! One piece is easily shared by two!!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Tammy

The drive to Princeville Kauai from Poipu is very definitely worth it-the north shore is gorgeous! If you snorkel make sure you visit tunnels beach. A helicopter ride is the greatest on Kauai as so much of the island is not driveable. I think Tidepools restaurant at the Hyatt resort in Poipu is very nice. Another great little place is the Hamananlu tea House just outside of Lihue.
Enjoy!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:03 PM
kal

Jef,
The drive from Poipu to P'ville is "worth" it IMHO. Don't expect to break any land speed records, though.

You'll be driving on Rte 50 once you get up thru the "Tunnel of Trees" from Poipu.

You'll eventually get thru Lihue and wind up on Rte 56. My suggestion would be to turn left after crossing the Wailua river, before the old Coco Palms resort, on Rte 580. This takes you up to Opaekaa Falls and behind the "Sleeping Giant" Mountain. Turn right on Rte 581 (Kamalu Rd?).
Beautiful side trip that will eventually bring you back out on Rte 56 in Kapaa town, missing most of the traffic jam in front of Safeway/Longs, etc.

The drive from Anahola up to P'ville is pretty amazing. If you go all the way up to P'ville, you may as well go down to Hanalei. Or at least stop at the Hanalei Valley Lookout.
Beautiful!!!

As for restaurants on Kauai, just do a Fodor's search. Whole ton of 'em.

The hot ones when we were over in Dec/Jan '01 were Coconuts, Lemongrass and Duke's.
Aloha

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Dawn.Ct

The ride between Volcano National Park and the Kona side took us about 4 hours, but we made quite a few stops on the way. I would not take the Saddle Road. You may void your rental car agreement since many companies consider that road off limits. Also, the road conditions are such, that I don't think you will really save any time. Another issue, from what I hear, is the fog and visability. Without stopping I am sure you can make the ride in less than three hours. We stayed one night in Volcano National Park and then moved to Waikaloa. We loved the park so much that this summer we will spend two nights at the Kilauea Military Camp. Another good suggestion is horseback riding in Waipio Valley...loved it. Also Zodiac Boat and snorkel tour. Lots of fun.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Jef

Thank you all for your help and recommendations.
Anyone else that has suggestions and answers to my above questions it would be appreciated.