Honeymoon on Block Island - Recommendations Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be honeymooning on Block Island this June. Am looking for some place that's romantic but not in an overly-done Victorian way. Beach access would be nice but it's more important to be away from the crowds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Inn? I've heard about the Barrington and Adrianna but has anyone stayed in either of these places?

Thanks,
The Bride
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM

I can tell you about The Barrington but not the Adrianna. It's not terribly Victorian (although many of the Inns and B&Bs have yet to move on from that printed-wallpaper-mauvey decor)and is situated in a perfect location that's away from the noise and crowds that you find in town. Also, The Weather Bureau Inn and the Hygeia are two that I can recommend that are in the same location as the Barrington. The views from this spot on the island are phenomenal, the beach isn't too far for biking or walking distance and you can see New Harbor fairly well.

My husband honeymooned on Block Island as well (11 years ago this Sept) and have been returning every summer to get our fix. If the weather holds up, you should have an amazing time together.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply Kehsutton. Of the three places (Barrington, Weather Bug, Hygeia), is there one that seems more Honeymoon-like?

Old May 17th, 2005, 12:35 PM
mei

The Adrianna is part of the Blue Dory Inn, which has had a long standing reputation as a romantic and lovely B & B. A friend of mine was in there about 2 years ago and said it was a little tired looking, but I think they have redone quite a bit. So if you go there, ask how recently your room was renovated. I do not think the Barrington Inn would be a good honeymoon spot. The Hygeia is really nice, but a lot of families go there and the family that onws it has small children also, so that doesn't really seem honeymoon like to me. The Weather Bureau Inn is nice, but really tiny. You may want to also check with the Manisses and 1661 House....they have many different accomodations and rooms with beautiful views also, but more of a hike to the beach.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Some of the Barrington rooms have their own decks and have a private feel (for all being in the same house). I would not go to the Manisses (tired, run-down, over-priced, desperately needs renovating) but if you have the budget, the 1661 is worth a call. The 1661 Inn still has the same Victorian decor (I can't agree with you more how tiresome that is, but alas, most of these stately oceanside inns and hotels were built during that era). The 1661 has rooms with private decks overlooking the ocean but is more of a hike to either the town beach or Mohegan bluffs. Some rooms even come with a fireplace and (dated)jacuzzi....what I can say, is that the breakfast that comes with the room is very good.

If you're willing to do the research, the women that staff the BI Chamber of Commerce can be immensely helpful, especially if you tell them your dilemma: Romantic Inn, away from town, private rooms, close to the beach. They have a website: www.blockislandchamber.org and I think a toll-free number.

Personally, the Barrington was our fave before we got married. After, we always rent or go to the Atlantic. But I understand what I think you're looking for. It shouldn't be hard to find. The island is remote and has a collection of goofy inns and B&Bs, many that are in great need of renovating. I've always had this dream to open up an inn on Block Island that's tasteful-skip all the Victorian stuff.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
mei

Keep in mind that if you are going to Block Island between June 18-25.... that's Race Week and I would avoid staying in town or near the marinas by the Salt Pond. The Barrington is near there. It can be kind of noisy in those areas that week.

And I should have been more specific about the Manisses....that family owns about 8 properties to stay in on the island...I agree that you probably won't want to stay at "the Manisses", but the 1661 and some of their other places are nice and not that victorian look you are trying to avoid. The Nicholas Ball Cottage is next to the 1661 and that is not dated at all. Some of those rooms are really nice, and some are really small....so ask a lot of questions.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the helpful advice -- as it turns out we WILL be there during RACE WEEK. So are now thinking of renting a cottage in the southwest side of the island -- anyone been to that area? Is it pretty?
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM

(I think I'm beginning to sound like a knowitall...but)We rented a small house in Dories Cove-which is in the Southwest side. It was great for the sunsets, peace and quiet and proximity to Black Rock, which is an excellent trail for mountain biking and private beaching(swimsuits optional). You also have salt farms and Rodman's Hollow nearby. One thing to mention when doing this over the phone is to ask if your rental is near the horse stables (Rustic Rides? or something like that). They're on West Side Road and down wind, they're stinky.

It's still quite a hilly hike to the town beach and Old Harbor, but if you have a car that won't matter. If you have a preference, anything on Corn Neck Rd. is close to the beach. Also, anything near the Southeast Lighthouse is a good location-at least in my opinion. If you don't have a choice being Race Week and all, you can't really go wrong on the Southwest side...sunsets can be very dreamy.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM
mei

Redpen....I think you better go to blockisland.com ASAP and click onto the real estate links. You may have trouble getting a house at this point, but there are always cancellations. We used to rent our house on BI and generally it was fully rented for the summer by March. Sullivan and Ballard Hall have the most houses, but check them all out. Avoid Salt Pond Settlement....it will be in the thick of Race Week. The agents at each will give you info. Corn Neck Rd and the West Side are both nice. So is the area around the Southeast light. Good Luck.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your helpful advice. My fiance found a lovely cottage that is more than a half-mile from the stables.

So if you can entertain a couple of more questions:
1. Where should we go for a nice meal?
2. Which hikes do you recommend?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:43 AM
mei

Glad you found something. I love going to the Atlantic and having drinks outside and for a nice meal you can stay there for dinner. We also love Eli's...but here is no view. Expect to wait for Eli's...very tiny and popular. Once you put you name in you can go around the corner and have drinks on the porch at the National. We also like the Mohegan and Aldo's (great pizza, thin crust).

For hiking, stop at the Chamber office next to the ferry and get the laminated map. It will show you the hiking trails. Clayhead, Black Rock, out to the North Light are all nice. Some trails on BI are not well marked and can be confusing....so the map is helpful. Since you have a place to cook...you should go clamming at Andy's Way. Get a licsense.

I also know people that really like the sunset trimaran (sp?) cruise.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM

I agree with the previous poster that the Atlantic is your best bet for a nice meal. The lawn and porch offer a wonderful view of town and Old Harbor. Another nicer restaurant is Winfields. But I'm not crazy about the National for drinks. Tends to be a day-tripper hangout with lousy hors d'oeuvres and expensive drinks. The Narragansett Inn is a better option for drinks...it's a bit quieter, nice view, not too touristy. It sits on Ocean Ave. Juice and Java is great for coffee and desserts, too but I may have given that info. out before....anyway, have a great time. And a pre-matrimonial congrats to you and yours on your marriage!