Search

Hawaii instead of Oaxaca, but where?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii instead of Oaxaca, but where?

Hi all,
I am turning 70 and retiring orat the end of April and currently spending 5 nights at the Ahwahnee in Yosemite to celebrate my birthday itself, followed by a week's break (hotel availability) and then 8 nights in Oaxaca, Mexico. We're now considering postponing Oaxaca for a time of year when it's cooler and we are more in need of stimulation than relaxation and heading for the flowery air of Hawaii instead. The question is where? Our first choice, Kauai, will be occupied by my goddaughter on her honeymoon until May 12 and we want to give her privacy. So we could either go to Kauai later, or shift to another island or another destination altogether. Our last trip to Hawaii was a wonderful 11 days on the Big Island, our one experience in Maui was a disappointment.

All suggestions welcome. We want a hotel not a condo, can splurge in the $500 a night range but not the $700 or $800 a night range. Spending less would also be welcome.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 08:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If it was me, I'd just go back to the Big Island, which I love, and which is plenty big enough to keep you occupied to the extent you want to be. There should be no shortage of hotels in your price range.

Now that said, if an altogether different destination is on the table, maybe think outside the box?

- Maybe somewhere along the Blue Ridge? It's spectacular in the spring. Or Savannah and Charleston?

- Texas Hill Country?

- Or, since you'd be looking at a day's travel in either the Hawaii or Mexico cases anyway, what about capitalizing on dirt-cheap prices of fights to Europe, and have a week's holiday in some flowery English village, or the south of France, or Andalusia?

- Ever been on a cruise? There are some excellent values to be had, and if you're smart in picking a ship/itinerary you might be surprised at how easy and pleasant it can be. Mediterranean? Caribbean?

Just throwing out ideas.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Kauai is a big enough island you could go there and stay in a different part than the honeymooners and never run into each other.

Since you mention "stimulation" how do you feel about Oahu? Plenty to see and do there, cultural, urban, natural beauty...

Nothing wrong with going back to the Big Island either!
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 10:49 AM

I'd either go to Kauai, May is beautiful there, second choice would also be Big Island.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM

If Hawaii, we would vote for Maui! Even though you had mentioned that you had one disappointment? Where did you stay at Maui that time? What time of the month did you go?

We went to Maui about 8 years ago in mid-March for 8 nights & the whole family had a great time. We stayed at Marriott condo at Kaanapali beach. It is a time sharing but you can rent it/ beach front & the property is beautiful. Along that strip, there are Sheraton, Hyatt & Westin & others...

It is a full condo with kitchen so we can cook a simple meal & watching the sunset at the same time.
Maui has so many things to do, from going to the beach to sightseeing (go to Paia, visit Mamma Fish House for lunch) to shopping to driving the Hanae Road....We also did a fun catamaran trip to Lanai Island for sightseeing & whale watching (Trilogy Sail Tour).

Enjoy planning! Congratulations on your next journey of life!
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I meant to say "we are more in need of relaxation than stimulation".

My goddaughter has explicitly said she would be grateful for my non presence on the island...nicely.

Do any of you know the Mauna Loa hotel?
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Another correction: Mauna Lani
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Oh OK so both Maui and Kauai are out. Well that helps narrow down your choices.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Another correction: Mauna Lani

Yes. Spectacular.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really want to relax, spend a few of the nights at the Mahana House Country Inn, a great bargain. Then move into Hilo for the other 3 or 4 nights. Or not.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

Big Island is high possibility and Mahana House Country Inn looks like an amazing bargain which could be combined with 3 nights at the Mauna Kea, which is $$$ but has amazing beach and wonderful museum quality art.

Or the whole time at Mauna Lani. Spectacular sounds well, "spectacular".

Where we stayed in Maui was nice (can't remember name right now), but it was a sad story where we were going to Venice and Prague for our 10th anniversary but had to cancel 2 days before departure because of foot problems. Maui was plan B and never stopped feeling like not-Venice and not-Prague.

A friend also suggested Molokai.

I would love to go to Texas hill country sometime and Blue Ridge and Charleston are truly out of the box for us. I'm getting excited, just wish that DH could retire too (he's younger and needs to work for another 10 years).
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 05:24 AM

Tourism report came out today for October...average hotel rate on Big Island is around $230 / night so lots of choices. I want to throw in my vote for the Big Island, too! It's great.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM

We have visited Hawaii in winter for 30+ years. Big Island is my favorite, but when we bought in 2001, it was a 1BR 2Bath in South Maui. As condo owners, we needed access to tradesmen and goods. We also wanted more man-made choices (groceries, shops, restaurants); we're there a couple of months at a time.

I like 'the ends' of Maui best: Napili/Kapalua in West Maui; South Kihei/Wailea in South Maui. I like low-rise, low-density condos. I don't like tall elevator buildings that could be *anywhere*.

In summer, you could enjoy north shore Oahu. Big Island's shores get too hot for me -- southernmost island, and all that bare lava baking in the sun. (I could get "Waimea" much closer to home, in Wyoming.)
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 02:31 PM

Sue, I'm just curious why you bought on Maui if you like Big Island the best.
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 03:04 PM

sf7307~ she said her reasons at the end of the first paragraph
;-)

aloha, suze
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 08:39 AM

Suze, I know why the OP wants to go where, I was curious about chisue’s reasoning.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM

sf -- We wanted to be able to access more things that 'development' brings. Big Island has more of that today than it did in 2001. It's still sometimes a struggle to get tradesmen and goods on Maui. Back then, there was no Costco on Big Island. Existing groceries had limited quality and variety. *Everything* has grown since then!

Also, we rent our condo on VRBO and through an agency between April and December. There was more market for Maui.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:19 PM

Thanks for that explanation!
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:57 PM

(sf~ i was referring to chisue's post since she had said

"we needed access to tradesmen and goods. We also wanted more man-made choices (groceries, shops, restaurants); we're there a couple of months at a time"

- as far as why they picked Maui.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 10:17 PM

If you are looking to relax, the Mauna Lani is great for that exact purpose. Its a very nice property essentially in Waimea above the Kohala Coast. Probably pricey but you will be well taken care of. there are a number of other nice properties along there like the Waikoloa, The Prince, The Waikoloa Marriott, All will be nice and take good care of you. Some have better beach locations...kind of depends what you want. THey all are situated such that you can entirely stay on property or visit other resorts nearby. You will either need a car or to pay for a limo. You are pretty isolated on the coast there, removed from downtown Kona, Waimea town etc. If that is what you want it is perfect for that. If you want to see more of the island then a car is generally a must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -