Search

Hawaii in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii in December

Hi!

We wanted to book tickets for a small family vacation in December to Hawaii. Planning to go from December 13 to December 20th.

Our logistics/preferences:

- Family of three: 2.5 years old daughter, my wife and myself (we're both mid thirties)
- Prefer to rent a 1 bedroom condo so we get a kitchen (can cook for the kid)
- We're vegetarian
- Want a beach with calm waters so my daughter can play in the water - which she simply LOVES.
- We are into culture, so would love to explore some of the history/culture of the island we go to, of course.

Questions:
- Will the weather and water be warm enough for our given dates?
- Which island: Big Island, Oahu or Kauai? We have already been to Maui, albeit in the summer (but do not want to go back to the same island again, at least twice in a row)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Waikiki Beach near the Kapiolani Park end has a stone breakwater area that is great for little ones. Oahu also has Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Chinatown, Academy of Arts, Botanical Gardens, National Cemetery of the Pacific, Polynesian Culture Center, and many other sights. It's fun to rent a car and drive around the island to see the tropical beauty in serene and beautiful settings (and have the best shave ice in the small town of Haleiwa).
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM

I would choose Poipu area of Kauai. Also that is the week before the big holiday rate increase, but also a week that often has low occupancy before the big rush, so you do have room to negotiate.

We once stayed at Cliffs in Princeville that week and talked to the owner that varified our off season rate. The management company tried to quote us the holiday rate but immediately backed down. They were just protecting their client and trying to get top dollar.

Good luck wherever you decide. It's fun to see Hawaii during the holidays and not pay holiday prices and crowds.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, carolyn and Lookin_Glass. Both sound equally interesting (which makes my job, of course, more harder and funner ).

I was curious how the water would be for her? Too cold to play with in or we could go out in shorts and t-shirts to the beach and let her have her fill?

In the meanwhile I'll research both locations...
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Big Island has few easy-access beaches or lodgings on beaches. The Mauna Lani in the Kohala area is one of the few that does. Kids also like the rather 'Disney' Hilton Waikloa -- not a real beach, but a man-made lagoon.

Poipu is the best bet on Kauai, but...you could have rain; would almost certainly have it on the north shore of Kauai.

Waikiki Shores is a nice condo on Waikiki Beach -- Fort De Russy park buffers it on the west. You wouldn't need a car within Honolulu either.

You should find good rates EARLY in December, but may run into the Christmas Holiday rates before Dec. 20. (Some condos only rent for a full two weeks over those nights.)

Except for Big Island, you'll want to be south on all the islands in December. The oceans will be calmer, and you should have more sun.

After you look around at other islands, you may be coming back to look at South Maui! It's been our choice in winter, after staying on all four major islands for two to four weeks for over 30 years.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM

hi rahulm,

both choices mentioned above are excellent. Poipu is dryer and can be a little bit quieter as there isn't a whole lot of cultural actives on Kauai. (Although I do love Kauai for it's beauty.)

I think I would tend to lean a little toward Oahu. There is so much to do culturally for all the reasons and activities carolyn mentioned. I would add hiking up Diamond Head, the North Shore (famous for Pipeline, Sunset Beach etc) and my favorite snorkeling place which is Hanauma Bay.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hanau...w=1389&bih=877

The water on both islands is about 75-83 degrees year round. There isn't a cool season in Hawaii. It is warm pretty much year round. There is a rainier season (but it is still always warm and tropical).
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM

oh should mention Hanauma Bay is perfect for young children. It is a protected bay and reef which is very shallow. YOu have to get their very early and I would recommend having made prior reservations with the park service.

Also I love Waikiki Beach especially for young children. It is very shallow, with small waves, warm water, and the surf is very calm.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM

wter is okay but not ALL that warm. You get used to it once you are in. For history, then Oahu lots of culture ane historic sights...., kauai visit the Kauai Museum in Lihue for story of the whole island. Check out VRBO for condo's. waikiki Banyon is reasonable and nice. they are all 1 bedroom AND have kitchens and a great pool area with a kids acticity area. Waikiki beach is rocky in the water so water shoes are helpful. Kohala Coast on Big Island is perhaps the most beautiful and calm beach I have every been to. Mauna Kea beach and Hapuna Beach - no rocks, no seaweeds, no kelp but finding reasonable condo's in that area is not easy. More condos in the Kona-Kailua area which is abotu a 35 minute drive to the beautiful beaches of Kohala.

KAUAI...Kiahuna Plantation is right on the water in Poipu Beach but the pool is not right within the complex but the ocean is and there is a "baby Beach" aright there as well. very calm and shallow. hope you find something
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Fooey - lost a post getting this page. First of all - any week in Paradise is a good week - and if you have a storm hit while you are there - it just makes everything more beautiful/lush - and you can try to spot the new waterfalls in the mountains.

Suggest you go where you get the best deal but if it's close - try to get over to Kauai (you can almost find good deals to Oahu in the future) - and while we love the North Shore - basing at Poipu for the week at the southern end is probably best the 2nd/3rd week in Dec.

But do drive up to the North Shore - our favorite place in all of the islands - and go all the way to the end of the road - going over 7 one lane bridges (just look ahead and wait if someone is crossing from the other direction ) - and get to our favorite beach - Ke'e - and see the incredible Bali Hai view. Obviously if it's kicking up in the Ocean - don't go in - but just the drive is worth it. And there is usully a lifeguard there so ask about the local conditons. http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/park....cfm?park_id=8

Also head the other way from Poipu one day - and get to the "Grand Canyon" of the Pacific - so dubbed by none other than Mark Twain - that being Waimea Canyon. Just beautiful red rock strata all along the canyon.

Even if you decide on Oahu - would suggest wherever you choose to stay - get a pool if you can in your place - so that your daughter/you can go swimming every day if the ocean is up, whatever.

And our favorite snorkeling beach for the most variety (Ke'e is #1 is you include watching the sunset/green flash and also the great hiking) is Hanauma Bay - http://tinyurl.com/9u7n848,

I normally advise go early to beat the crowds - which shouldn't be a problem in mid-Dec - but going early is usually when the ocean is at it's calmest - with the best visibility.

You might rent snorkel gear for the week if you don't have it (check the adds in the tourist mags you can pick up at the airport - but I would use Snorkel Bob's as a startng point/baseline http://www.snorkelbob.com/cgi-local/....htm?E+scstore ) - and then have your daughter get used to the mask and flippers in the pool at your resort.

And wherever you go - check out the local fruit stands - or ask where you can buy the fresh fruit.

Hey - we even like the Saimin soup at McDonalds for a quick snack http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2010/06...onalds-saimin/ - or the plate lunches which you can find just about anywhere - and we will often buy fresh fish for dinner - or make fish sandwiches for lunch - or my wife may make some sushi.

You can fix your own meals relatively inexpensively- and still have fun doing it. Oh yes, there are several very good/rich ice creams in Hawaii too - with Lapperts being the first as I recall.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Oops. Forgot - you're vegetarian. Well - plenty you can still enjoy with that too.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Uno Mas: Nothing like Banana pancakes in Hawaii - and with my favorite - coconut syrup. Yum Yum.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice so far. My best vacations have been planned on fodors!

So as it stands, the cheapest flights I can get are to Kona on the big island which are a good over $100 cheaper than anywhere else on Hawaii. The extra $300 is significant for me, of course!

I was wondering if you can help me a bit more with the big island and whether it will be a good choice. I think ChiSue alluded that it may not have as many kid-friendly beaches (unless I read it wrong).

The areas of Big Island seem to be: Hamakua Coast, Hilo District, Ka'u District, Kohala Coast, Kona Coast, Puna District

I picked these off VRBO which is my go-to place for vacation rentals. Which one do I pick? What else can we do in Big Island that is fun and will be interesting to the photographer in me (with a kid of course).

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Check other posts in here under Hawaii for a ton of info.

Assuming you rent a car - you can pretty much stay anywhere you please - plus it's good to have to get around the Big Island - our co-favorite with Kauai - although Kauai holds a special place.

There is so much to do on the BI that if you don't have a primo place right on the beach - no problemo - as you can get there quickly.

Do try to get up to the Volcano for at least a day if nothing else, and you might combine that with a drive around the Island - assuming you are staying over on the Kona side - which is probably best in Dec.

All things relatively equal on "deals" - I think north of Kona is the best - even if you to pay a bit more - but if you get a condo - you can cook banana pancakes for breakfast, fish sandwiches for lunch and whatever you decide for dinner, plus take home the leftovers from dinner, etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Dang = forgot again you are Vegans - or do you make an exception for fresh fish?
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

LOL! You crack me up. We're not vegan, but vegetarian. We make exception for dairy and eggs
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Because Big Island is the newest of the chain it has fewer sandy beaches -- and a lot of bare lava that you sometimes have to trek across to get TO a beach.

The Kohala coast has the best lodging and a few lodgings ON beaches. Mauna Lani is one such, but not inexpensive. However...you can find townhomes and condos not too far a drive from Kohala beaches in the Waikoloa Beach Resort area. (Big Island had the RE boom and bust, leaving some cheap choices for rent now.)

Hamakua coast is wet -- and largely agricultural. Hilo will be wet -- not sure it ever dries out!

We have stayed Keauhou, but you'll drive to beaches. Kona Town has inexpensive condos, but the town itself is pictured next to the dictionary definition of 'tacky'. (My opinion.) Beware some areas beyond Volcano that are home to unsafe tidal pools (and unsafe neighbors)! Captain Cook is another place I see a lot of questionable lodgings advertised as 'quaint, rusic'. (You know how to parse real-estate-ese, right?)

I think your family would be happier at Poipu -- or South Maui. Save Big Island for a later time when you would do both Kohala and Volcano. (I wouldn't expose a small child to the vog.)
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM

FYI: The Trip Advisor Island of Hawaii forum is well served by two long-time *residents* of Big Island.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM

I'm with ChiSue. You might save $300+ in airfare with the Big Island, but you wouldn't want to stay on the Hilo side at that time of year, and there are no decent beaches near Kona/Keauhou, and your savings would probably be more than offset by a nice place on the Kohala Coast. So go to Kaua'i.

Don't know that I understand or agree with nanabee's comments either. You don't need activities or events to experience Hawaiian culture. In fact, in the relative quiet and beauty of Kaua'i, I think you experience the culture just by being there. And there are luaus, museums, and gardens as well, if you want.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Love Kauai but also love Big Island. Can't go wrong either place. Just hunt for the best overall deal for yourselves.