Hawaii Honeymoon Advice

Search

Hawaii Honeymoon Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Honeymoon Advice

Hello. Honeymooning planned for 12 days in October. Arriving into Oahu from the east coast on Oct. 8. Flight already locked. We are looking to relax and for some adventure---not traffic. Need some advice:

1) Should we stay on Oahu--driving somewhere more secluded than Honolulu the day we arrive or grab another flight to Kauai or Maui and leave the busyness of Oahu for a couple days on our way out?

2) Should Kauai be on our list in early October. Have been reading other messages indicating less than desired sun in late fall--true for early October?

3) With 12 days, should we just focus on Oahu and Kauai or Maui, or all three minimizing Oahu? (BI is for next trip.)

Thanks for your comments.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM

You don't say if you have been to Hawaii before. There is another "honeymoon" thread going so check that out. I personally would not want to do more than two islands in that amount of time. I wouldn't want all the packing up, the airport, etc and loosing the time. If you haven't been to Hawaii then for sure Oahu, but what you do after that is really your call. Just depends on what you are looking for. If you don't like to kick back and just want to go, go..then do your three islands.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I've been to BI before, but not the other three. Soon to be wife has never been to any. I'll take heed on your advice to stick to two to relax. Question is which one in addition to Oahu. Any advice on the weather in Kauai in early October? Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM
bonniebroad

MSchoenfisch, "summer months" in Hawaii are May through October. One year, I was in Maui in early October, and it was really hot, humid, almost no tradewinds (a freaky thing with the trades that season, the locals told us.) The weather on Kauai should be beautiful around that time (although the weather is never guaranteed, of course... ) If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do Oahu and Kauai... that was the schedule on my first visit to the islands, and I thought it was perfect! I love both islands, including staying in Waikiki (and taking day trips out to other parts of the island.) Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old May 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM

I'm glad you're doing Oahu. It's great for a first timer and who doesn't want to walk on Waikiki?!!!!! As far as Kuai, I can't help you there. I was there in late March and to be frank with you, Kauai is not my "cup of tea" but don't let that stop you. There are a zillion people on this and other boards that absolutely love it and go back again and again. So as far as the other islands go, you just have to weigh the comments and pick one. You really can't go wrong. I'm sure you will get other responses soon and also enter Kauai and you should get a ton of previous posts and trip reports to help you out...the same for Maui. Congratulations and I hope your honeymoon is fabulous.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
iceeu2

Honestly, I think alot of it depends on your age. We went to Maui on our honeymoon 18 years ago and loved every single second of it.

For my 50th birthday we went to Kauai and loved every single second there also.

Now we are going to do Oahu and Kauai in 5 more days and will love that also.

Order the travel guides, decide what your cup of tea is, read posts here on fodors.com and other places....

You won't go wrong no matter what you decide.

Old May 9th, 2005, 03:43 PM

We had 13 nights last summer, and split it up into 3 islands. We spent 2 nights on Oahu to see Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. Then it was on to Big Island for 4 nights and Maui for 7. This was perfect for us...it gave us a taste of different islands and was enough time to have some adventure (Volcano National Park, Road to Hana, lots of snorkeling, etc...) and plenty of relaxing and laying on the beach/by the pool. This summer we are headed to Oahu for 6 nights and Kauai for 7. Have a wonderful trip !