Hawaii,Hana help

Feb 20th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Jef

Hawaii,Hana help

On the road to Hana can you keep driving past the seven sacred pools and make the return trip around the other side,if so is it a nice
ride?? Is the hike to the 7 sacred pools a must?
Does anyone have recommondations for bike tour groups down Haleakala that pick up at your hotel?
thank you for any help you can give me!

Feb 20th, 2001, 12:22 PM
jan

You CAN keep driving past the sacred pools into the town of Hana (which is quite small and not a highlight of the trip) and even beyond. The rental car company frowns upon it and will tell you that you aren't insured if something happens. We did it anyway and to be honest it was more scary than anything. Everything is brown. No grass, no green anything, just dead looking with tumbleweeds. It's actually hard to believe that such a beautiful island can have such a dark and gloomy side. Also, there isn't many cars on the road but if you do decide to do try it out, there is a great winery along the way that makes their wine with pinapple juice. I can't remember the name but it starts with a "T". You'll find it on the maps. In fact, the wine was so different that when we go back this summer we are definitely stopping there.
Have fun!

Feb 20th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Rick

Its not that far from where you park down to the pools. only a few mins.
Its worth the walk..and if you like to cliff dive, thats the place. Also like the previous poster said, you can make it all the way around but not too scenic. Lindburgs grave is also a little ways past the pools,a little side road cutting off to the left..Palapala Hoomau Chhurch.

Feb 20th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Beth

We drove all the way around. If the weather is poor I suggest you do not drive past the pools and on but if the weather is nice it isn't that bad of a trip. Some of the road is not paved but it isn't bad. There isn't much to see on the way but it is an interesting drive.

We went with Maui Mountain Riders and has fun. Be prepared for the weather at the top to be cold....most of the tours offer fleece and gortex!

Feb 20th, 2001, 07:41 PM
scigirl

Oheo Gulch (7 sacred pools) is a short drive past Hana. Road conditions for the stretch of road from Oheo Gultch to about the Tedeschi Winery will be posted at Oheo Gulch. I personally really enjoyed that stretch of road - it is desolate, but beautiful - a contrast to the rain forest climate of the drive from Paia to Hana. The road commonly washes out in bad weather - so do not attempt the drive if it is raining. Also, there is no cell phone reception, few people on the roads, and you want to get all the way to the winery before dark. (So just watch you time and allow about 2 - 3 hours from Oheo Gulch to finish the drive.) The scariest part is the first several miles or turns and twists around rocks and such - but not really much scarier than the stretch to Hana.

Here is a link to a picture (that I am particularly proud of) I took in Maui of that area. (You will need to cut and paste the link into the address window to see the picture)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...709&p=41565244