Hawaii -- good tour company?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Kauai for a week and want to do a day trip to the big island to see the volcanoes. Anyone have a recommendation for a tour company that does those kind of trips?
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Why not just do it yourself? There are no direct flights to Hilo (closest to VNP) from Kauai so figure two hours with the shortest layover in HNL, rent a car and drive to Volcano National Park. Last flight out of Hilo is around 8:20 so that would give you around 12 hours on the Big Island. you can get r/t air for around $230 pp and a car rental for a day shouldn't be much.

Take note that there is no red lava to be seen at this time. There is a glow at night at the crater but you'll be on your way back to Kauai by then.

Robert's Hawaii offers a day trip but $360. pp is high in my opinion especially if all you want to see is the park, which is an easy drive both to and in the park.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 06:25 PM

I think, if I recall correctly, my first day trip (from Oahu) to an outer island by tour group was with Polynesian Adventures (?). I've done two of them, about 5-6 years ago. They are a good (altho more expensive) way to see another island.

I have gotten away from tours, and now prefer to do it on my own. I book my flight(s) on Hawaiian, rent my car, and drive around for as long as I can, before having to return to the airport for my flt back to HNL.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be with friends in Kauai but on my own for the side trip and I'm not used to driving, so that's why I'm leaning towards joining a tour. Is it not worth going to VNP if there's no red lava?
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM

For me, if there was a lava event I would jump in a plane. But right now, due to the time, expense and hassle, there is so much to see and explore on Kauai. I'd spend my money, maybe doing heli or tryke flight or a boat ride to see the NaPali coast.

But if Pele decides the lava should flow, by all means go for it.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM

agree with Lookin_Glass. There's a lot to see on the Big Island, 12 hours just to see the park isn't worth it, (I live here) The lava is slowly heading to the ocean but it's still .8 miles away, last week was 1.2 miles (so you can see how slow it's moving) and the last three times it was heading there it stopped and hardened up and wasn't accessible from either the Kalapana side or the park side.

Call 808-961-8093 for a lava update.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM

With only one week on Kauai, I wouldn't spend the time or money to go to any other island. Big Island of Hawaii is worth 7 - 10 nights minimum, and there's so much more to see than just VNP. Unless you were a geology major, you might be disappointed. The only hot, flowing lava you are likely to see is in the movies at the ranger station. Enjoy your time on Kauai! Take a helicopter tour and/or boat tour to see the Pali.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Ok, doesn't sound like it's worth it. I have a feeling I'm not a tour person anyway. Though if I did do one, they'd drive me around to a few spots on the Big Island, not just to the volcanoes. Would it be worth it then, just to get a taste of the island? It's a long trip from Philadelphia, so I'm feeling like I "should" try to see a little more of Hawaii while I'm there...

One more question: plane or helicopter tour on Kauai? A friend can get me a big discount on a plane tour, so it'll be much cheaper. But the helicopter tours look awesome.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 06:52 PM

if you think this will be your only trip to Hawaii, and it's high on your list and you think it's worth the money to come here for 1 day....then do it. You only live once. But if you plan on coming back, save the Big Island for a week or more.

Helicopter definitely to see more and get in tighter spots, hover over falls, cliffs etc.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice -- very helpful to get everyone's opinions. I'll have to stop being indecisive soon, since I'm going in about a week!
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM

That sounds like a really long day when you factor in flights and car if you go solo. It is an amazing site, though. Could you do an overnight in Hilo?
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM

You only have one week. Use it to enjoy Kauai.