Hawaii for One

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 01:54 PM
Tom

Hawaii for One

I have a business meeting on the Big Island for several days. I'll likely take a few extra to explore the island. Otherwise, I have no clue where else to travel. Lanai sounds too quiet and most posts understandably concern the interests of honeymooners. Any advice on the better detinations for a single guy who windsurfs and scuba dives occasionally? Thanks.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Rich

Tom:

As a single person who has been to Kona a couple of times, I can tell you that, depending on what you are looking for, there are many interesting things to do on the big island. While I do not windsurf, I do snorkel, and the big island has plenty of excellent snorkeling/diving locations. There is one state park in particular that I went to (south of Kona; not too far away; don't remember the name!) that had a deep lagoon that several divers were exploring. If you do not have equipment, there are plenty of vendors in Kona who can supply you w/equipment.

If you are into hiking, I think you can take excursions to Mauna Loa and/or Mauna Kea... North of Hilo, there are many beautiful waterfalls. I also enjoy touring the macadamia nut farms, and learning how they process/ship the nuts to the rest of the world.

If you are into nightlife, however, that may be a different story. There are a few decent clubs in downtown Kona, and some of the hotels in the Waikoloa area have some decent bars, but overall, if you are into nightlife, you should probably stick to Honolulu.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 03:26 PM
Jon

Married or single, Maui is the best. After your meeting and spending a day or two seeing the Big Island, move on to Maui for the rest of your vacation. I think it's much prettier and it certainly has a lot more to do.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:13 PM
Sandy

Maui is super. The neatest day we ever spent was cycling from Hale Akala to the coast - 30 some miles all down hill and fantastic panorama. Also there are snorkling and scuba opportunities.
Stay on the Lahaina side. Lahaina is an old whaler town and still has that flavor.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 11:15 PM
Mike

And Tom, Maui has the No. 1 windsurfing spot in Hawaii, in an area called Paia, I believe (somebody correct me if I've got the wrong spelling)! If you want to be near this windsurfing mecca AND want 5-star luxury, stay at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua which is close by!