Hawaii for Non-Beach People

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii for Non-Beach People

My wife has a conference in Honolulu in late April. We have decided to use this as an opportunity to visit.

We are in the preliminary stages of planning our trip. I plan to fly over the last day of the conference. After the conference ends, we will stay for another 7 days.

As part of our research, I have dug through the old posts and we have read the most recent editions of Fodors’ and other's travel guides. Still overwhelmed and unsure of what we should do.

Any suggestions for a fist timers week-long visit to the islands? The key thing to know is that we are not beach people. Laying out, sipping drinks with parasols and not doing anything is not our idea of a good time. We like to drive around and visit sites, have picnics, do a little walking around, eat at interesting local (not chain) restaurants. Even walks on the beach are good.

Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM

First thing you would want to decide is if you are going to stay on Oahu or try one (or possibly two) of the other islands. The obvious non beach things on Oahu are Pearl Harbor, punchbowl crater, the north shore (if the waves are huge its a sight), the Polynesian Cultural Center, and Shopping in the various areas of Honolulu.

Maui and the Big Island both have a lot to offer, but I think for non Beach types, I would think about the Big Island with Volcano NP, a trip up Mauna Kea Summit, the coffee district, Hilo etc.

Maui has Hana )lots of history on the drive), and Haleakala NP (excellent hiking). Both Islands have opportunities for Snorkling of Scuba.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Hi: I'd suggest (even if you aren't a history buff): Pearl Harbor - take whatever tour is offered. Drive to Diamond Head State Park; Drive around Oahu, there are some cute towns; also a great orchid nursery. Sunset cruise - visit a Volcano. Visit Ernie Pyle's grave at Punch Bowl Cemetary. He was a reporter during WWII - received a Purple Heart. I'm not a beach person either but I would visit the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana hotels -- the original hotels on the island--the Moana is gorgeous - have a glass of wine on their outdoor patio (you can look at the ocean and Diamond Head).
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I am not a beach person, either. (my husband is fair-skinned and suburns easily.) I had a wonderful time on the Big Island, and I'd recommend it to you, too. We spent 10 days there, and I could have easily extended it to 2 weeks! The island has so much diversity in its climates and the natural beauty is amazing! There are lots of scenic drives and neat things to see. We spent 2 full days at the Volcano National Park, and I could have still done more hikes, etc.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Though the Hawaiian Islands are bast known for their beaches, the fact is that there is plenty to do besides playing in the water - and Oahu is no exception. The fact is, the scenery is just spectacular.

Take the highway out to Hanauma Bay and around Koko Head (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/koko_crater.html) at the extreme SE corner of the island. The views from the pullout there (looking north towards Sea Life Park) are just breathtaking and when the waves are up the power of the ocean is truly humbling.

Take the Pali Highway up and observe the views from the Pali Lookout (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_...li_lookout.htm) out over the windward side of the island and lovely Kanaeohe Bay. Incredibly gorgeous the views are. Continue on to beautiful oriental gardens at the Byodo-In temple (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_...-in_temple.htm)

Drive to north shore and visit beautiful Waimea Falls Park (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/waimea...ture_park.html) and see the lush botanical gardens, then explore all the funky little surf towns along this legendary stretch of coast.

Even without getting in the water, Oahu and the other Hawaiian Islands are truly some of the most beautiful places on earth so get out and explore them. Plenty to see and do.

Ken

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM

My hubby and I spent 15 days on Oahu, Big Island and Maui last year and I can say we only laid out on the beach once. We're both pale Wisconsin-ites, so we would've been fried crisp had we spent time laying out. We found plenty to do on those three islands to keep us busy for 15 days. There's lots of sight-seeing, snorkeling, things to see and places to go to keep you busy for months! I would recommend any of those three islands that we went to.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oahu: Honolulu has loads of things to see that are not beach related: Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Honolulu Academy of the Arts, Doris Duke ShangriLa estate, Chinatown walking tour, Mission Houses (off the top of my head). Hanuama Bay for snorkeling and hiking Diamond Head.

Maui: road to Hana, the crater at Haleakala, in Lahaina the self-guided historic walking tour (with lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate afterwards).
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Go for the Big Island--it has gorgeous resorts (even if you aren't "do-nothing" people, they really are nice!)...and basically, all you need to do is rent a car, get a guidebook, and drive, drive, drive! SO much to see and do.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Hello LDLee,

Go to your local bookstore and buy the blue Bible, "Oahu Revealed." I've just finished reading it for an upcoming trip and couldn't believe all the great info. Has great maps for pinpoint locations of all sights. If you like to hike, drive, eat where the locals eat, even what time of day to go to certain areas for the best views, it's all here. I love this book!

Happy travels!
Aloha!
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM

kopp - there's been quite a bit of debate on this site about the "Hawaii Revealed Blue Books". Some of us hate them, and some of us love them, and some of us realize there's both good AND bad information in them. I could only find the posts I contributed to. Let me just say that I own all of them, and while the hotel info is good, the hiking info can be bad; rather suspect. You may have to cut and paste the following:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34609863

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34510246

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34543770

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696725

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Well, I spent two weeks in island and my toes only touched sand for two of those days. There's just so much to do, it's hard to find time to fit it all in.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I spent a week on Oahu and I'm not a "lie on the beach" person either, but I never ran out of things to do and could have stayed much longer.

Ken has some good suggestions above, and I would add that visiting the USS Arizona memorial is a MUST. I also really enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Yeah it can be crowded and touristy but it was one of the most memorable things I did on the trip and I'll never forget it. A sunset cruise was fun, too.

Rent a jeep or a convertible and drive from Waikiki up to the North Shore and stop at a few sights along the way. We couldn't get over how many times we kept saying "man, this is gorgeous," but the beauty of Hawaii is hard to beat, and it's everywhere you look. There are many great hiking spots all over Oahu also if you are the active types.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Whoa, kamahinaohoku - very interesting reading, all those posts! Some people, however, just don't use common sense and can be very inconsiderate. I was a bit shocked by the book's references to ignoring signs, etc. But the easily readable maps seem very good, as well as the descriptions of the hikes and all the beautiful pictures.

Fear not, kind one. I have no intentions of going where I don't belong. I just want to see all the beauty that is Oahu without doing damage to your wonderful state!

Aloha.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Re: guidebooks, I recommend Richard Sullivan's picture/map books. There are stunning photos, and you wonder, "Where is this and how can I get there?" He tells you exactly how to get there via road and hiking maps and descriptions. There is one book for Oahu, one for Maui.
My favorite book for Kauai is by Lenore Horowitz, "Kauai Underground Guide"
I'm not really a "sipping mai tais on the beach" person either, but have never had a dull moment in Hawaii. If you love history, Honolulu alonehas Ioads to keep you busy: Iolani Palace, Maritime Museum, Bishop Museum,, Mission Houses Museum, among Arizona Memorial, "Mighty Mo"
Have a wonderful tri!!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:38 AM

Hawaii is so beautiful. So much to do in seven days. The beaches are beautiful. You can walk along them instead of sitting around all day. Maui is beautiful also. You can bicycle down a mountain,go to pineapple plantation tours,and so much more. Stay away from the time-share desks,they will swarm you.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback so far. I am relieved to know there is plenty to do other than lying on the beach or playing golf. Any more comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

It seems like we will spend the first 2 or 3 days on Oahu. The challenge is to choose between Maui and Hawaii for the last part of the trip. As we get further into planning, I am sure I will be asking more questions.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Last month my husband and I went to Oahu, Maui and Kauai.

No laying in the sun. No golf.

Very busy hiking, walking the beach, exploring, horseback riding, snorkling, ATV-ing, wining and dining.

No worries, you'll love it.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I would recommend a stop on Kauai. My husband and I spent 9 days there for our honeymoon. It's probably the least touristy of the 4 main islands, and there's lots to do...helicopter tour of the cliffs and "Grand Canyon of the Pacific", coffee plantations, shopping, hiking, kayaking on the river, Kilauea lighthouse and wildlife sanctuary, waterfalls, the list goes on. Check out this site: http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/index.html
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Hi LDLee

I recommend you try going through some reviews and one site that comes to my mind is www.inods.com
I bet you will be surprised to find that there are so many things that you could do besides Beaches in Hawaii. Hope you enjoy your tme out. TIP: try typing 'Hawaii' and it should give you a number of reviews which talk about History tours, Hikes, submarine tours, and more

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -