Search

Hawaii Buffet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 02:12 AM
James

Hawaii Buffet

My family and I will be passing through Hawaii in July after 18 months in Asia. We plan to spend about five days on the Big Island and five days on Maui. We like five star hotels that cater to kids (ours are 8 and 3), have large rooms, are relatively new, and have a good-to-fantastic breakfast buffet. Hopefully this buffet would include Belgian Waffles, fresh local fruit, an omelet maker, and Starbuck's quality coffee. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 03:26 AM
annemarie

Hi, there! For the Big Island, I would certainly recommend the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Now there are other properties on this island that are supposed to be quite classy, i.e., the Mani Lani, The Orchid(Ithink), etc. I still prefer the Hilton and so do my children. My son who has had the fortune at staying at many beautiful properties including the Ritz, the Kea Lani, the Hyatt and the Princeville(all superior properties on the islands) Has the Hilton as his favourite. Now we got the bounceback rate which included a buffet breakfast. It was really a complete buffet with tons of fresh fruit, etc. I think they had Belgian waffles, you would have to ask. The place looks so unpretentious when you drive up, the doors are closed, no glass, the valet guys open the doors and truly a whole village awaits you. There are small boats driving you to one of 3 buildings(very walkable through an air conditioned art galleried walkway) and there are cute little AC quiet monorails that connect the property. Your children can do Dolphinquest here(register early) where they actually get into water with the dolphins. If not interested, you can see the dolphins any time of day. There is a man made lagoon type of beach with paddleboats, etc to rent and snorkelling to do. They have some green sea turtles here and my husband said it wasn't bad at all, actually pretty good. There are about 3-4 pools, a fitness centre, arcade, different restaurants. Now, as busy as it sounds, we did not find it hectic and stayed 5 days. A spectacular property! Now, on Maui, sounds like you like classy places, so I would look into the Four Seasons in Wailea for a high class hotel than will give everyone in your party preferential treatment. Lots of things are included in the rate-be sure to ask. If you want more room book next door at the Kea Lani, a suite style property all done in white. Now, I know that the FS has a great buffet, but I am not sure about the Kea Lani. Both properties welcome children. I am probable rambling-feel free to email me for further info. Annemarie

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 03:27 AM
annemarie

Hi, there! For the Big Island, I would certainly recommend the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Now there are other properties on this island that are supposed to be quite classy, i.e., the Mani Lani, The Orchid(Ithink), etc. I still prefer the Hilton and so do my children. My son who has had the fortune at staying at many beautiful properties including the Ritz, the Kea Lani, the Hyatt and the Princeville(all superior properties on the islands) Has the Hilton as his favourite. Now we got the bounceback rate which included a buffet breakfast. It was really a complete buffet with tons of fresh fruit, etc. I think they had Belgian waffles, you would have to ask. The place looks so unpretentious when you drive up, the doors are closed, no glass, the valet guys open the doors and truly a whole village awaits you. There are small boats driving you to one of 3 buildings(very walkable through an air conditioned art galleried walkway) and there are cute little AC quiet monorails that connect the property. Your children can do Dolphinquest here(register early) where they actually get into water with the dolphins. If not interested, you can see the dolphins any time of day. There is a man made lagoon type of beach with paddleboats, etc to rent and snorkelling to do. They have some green sea turtles here and my husband said it wasn't bad at all, actually pretty good. There are about 3-4 pools, a fitness centre, arcade, different restaurants. Now, as busy as it sounds, we did not find it hectic and stayed 5 days. A spectacular property! Now, on Maui, sounds like you like classy places, so I would look into the Four Seasons in Wailea for a high class hotel than will give everyone in your party preferential treatment. Lots of things are included in the rate-be sure to ask. If you want more room book next door at the Kea Lani, a suite style property all done in white. Now, I know that the FS has a great buffet, but I am not sure about the Kea Lani. Both properties welcome children. I am probable rambling-feel free to email me for further info. Annemarie

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 02:57 AM
Linda

Hi James..welcome home! I visited the Hualalai Four Season on the Big Island soon after it was opened, it is just what you are asking about. The rooms are spacious & the kid's program is the best I've seen offered at any hotel..
I agree the Hilton is terrific for kids & a visit there (about 10 min away from 4 Seasons) is a must...but the rooms there are not that large & it is hectic, very large hotel.
I'm sorry I do not know about the breakfast, but I suspect all the hotels have something like you want. However, you will get Kona coffee in Hawaii, as a rule. And it ain't bad!
Hope this helps..we moved from Kona 2 years ago...aloha, Linda

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 03:57 AM
Jon

On Maui, the most spectacular hotel for kids (and adults) is the Grand Wailea. It has unbelievalble pools and water slides. Another great choice is the Hyatt Regency Maui, and that Hyatt is one of the only places on Maui that has a great breakfast buffet every day, not only on Sundays. I think the Four Seasons is too formal and too quiet for kids.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon