Hawaii Big Island Travel Times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. In trying to plan the Big Island portion of our anniversary trip for next summer, I'd like to ask for information on how long it takes to get around the island. I've read the Hawaii Revealed book, but don't have a good sense of travel times to the following areas:

- Kohala Coast (actually the Hualalai area) to Waipi'o Valley (we're looking to do the horseback riding excursion)

- Kohala Coast to Volcano National Park (full day trip for this)

- Kohala Coast to Kealakekau Bay (we're looking at doing a kayak tour here) and the Honaunau Place of Refuge

- Kohala Coast to Kona

- Kohala Coast to Hilo

We don't want to spend our whole time driving (since we'll only be there for 5 days), so getting of sense of how things take would be really helpful. Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM

Here is a link to a map with some driving times to and from Volcanoes national park:www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/map.htm

It takes ~2 to 2 1/2hours from Kohala to Reach VNP.

I recall more driving times listed in "Hawaii-The Big Island Revealed" which I highly recommend for visiting the BI(websitewww.wizardpub.com
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM

Longtail: Where are you staying on the Kohala Coast? We stayed 1 night at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and 3 nights at the Waikoloa Marriott. We spent one whole day to do Volcano National Park, and it was a long day, but wonderful! We left around 10:30, stopped at the Place of Refuge and Black Sand Beach, and got to VNP around 2:30-3:00. We stayed until 7:00 or so, and got to Kona around 9:00. Kona is about 25-35 minutes to the Kohala Coast, depending on what resort you are staying at
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hey beachgirl. While we haven't officially made our reservations for next June (have been told the 2005 rates were not yet available), we're hoping to stay in a golf view room at the 4 Seasons in Hualalai (our splurge for 5 nights). According to the maps I've seen, it looks like this is part way between Kona and the Kohala Coast.

The 3 things we really want to do are visit the Volcano National Park, take a horseback ride in the Waipi'o Valeey and snorkel/kayak ay Kealakekau Bay. Just wanted to get a sense of times toi determine if this will be too much driving. We also are hoping to relax on the Hapuna/Mauna Kea beaches.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM

longtail, most things on the Big Island will involve a lot of driving (well, long drives for us locals anyay ), but you can't get away from that really.

And you definitely shouldn't let that stop you from seeing and doing what you really want. That would defeat the purpose of going there.

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Living in CA, driving the BI was a huge part of our fun and pleasure! We couldn't believe touring in our convertable on roads all to our self! Loved every second. And we loved the day long Paniolo horse ride the valley of the kings down to the waterfall, and the kona coffee icecream to cool down at the end of the ride!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM

I called the Four Seasons (Big Island) in May and they were taking reservations for summer 2005 at that time. I would hurry if I were you! Did you call them directly? The cheapest rooms probably go quickly!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Longtail: Wow, the Four Seasons is supposed to be great, I'm jealous

Anyways, I really wanted to do Waipaio Valley and the Kealakekau Bay snorkeling, but we ran out of time. We only had 4 nights -- I'll have to go back for longer next time!

Staying at the Four Seasons puts you closer to Kona and a bit closer to VNP. It's only about 7 miles from the airport.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 02:24 PM

This is the ride we absolutely Loved!
http://www.waipioridgestables.com/horse2.htm

This is where we got The Best Kona Ice Cream!
http://www.waipiovalleyartworks.com/