Search

Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

My family will be traveling to Hawai in June of 2007. Our 1st week will be on the Big Island staying at a Fairfield timeshare. There will be 19 of us here. Looking for great ideas for what to do with such a big crowd.
Our 2nd week we (my husband and 5 children) will go to Oahu. We are looking for a place to stay that we don't have to spend a fortune ... 2 hotel rooms every night. Most places I have looked at only accomadate 6 guests. Any ideas for a family of 7? Again we would love to hear your ideas about activities.
Kids range in age from 21 - 12 years and we love to hike/swim/bike in moderation.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:27 AM

The big thing on the Big Island is to visit the Volcanic National Park. Tours could be expensive so I would rent a couple of vans. Visiting the top of the Mountain during sunset is another popular activity.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Book a horseback ride through Waipio Valley. It's so much fun and very picturesque.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:31 PM

This thread is mostly for Oahu, but lots of sites are good for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

Also:

www.bigisland.org Free brochure

http://www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour/map.html

Lots of budget ideas all islands:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...aii/index.html

These give snorkeling sites that you can do on your own:

http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html

www.snorkelbobs.com Scroll to the bottom & click on Map'nTips

On Oahu, Resortquest Waikiki Sunset is a condo with 1 & 2 bedrooms. Resortquest Waikiki Banyon is a condo with 1 bedroom.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. Now to make some decisions.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM

I just got back last week from Oahu. I stayed with a friend so I can't give advice on hotels (I know, lucky me) but there's a ton of things to do on Oahu. If you want to hike, go to Diamond Head and hike up to the top. It's not a bad hike and your kids should be able to handle it. THere were plenty of kids there who were younger than yours when I was there. I also went horseback riding, if that appeals to you. The kids might like the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Of course, there's plenty of swimming. I personally am not a good swimmer, so my friend took me to beaches with calmer water. I'd recommend Ko'olina (which is a resort but anyone can go on the beach). Waikiki is nice, but very crowded and touristy. If you have a car, you can drive to the North Shore where the surfers go. I'd also recommend going to a luau at Paradise Cove and going to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

My friend is in the military and will be leaving Hawaii at the end of this year, but I would like to return to Oahu in the near future. I got all of the touristy things out of the way on this trip and would just sit on the beach next time around!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hi Polly!
Glad to hear that you had a good time. Are you going to post a trip report?
-Bill
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM

HI Bill,

I'm still working on my trip report! It's taking forever to write because I'm afraid I'm going to leave out some detail so I'm trying to capture everything before I post it. I hope to have it done later today. Will let you know.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
tmt

6 people vs. 7 - Is it a "big" person?

Do you have to tell them?

when you find some hotels that you might like, take a look at tripadvisor.com, plug in the hotel name and its a quick way to tell if you would like to stay there or not depending on what folks say
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I just posted my trip report. Check it out. I don't know how to link to it, but if you search under Oahu trip report, you should find it. Enjoy!