Search

Hawaii 1st-timer having 2nd thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
jcn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii 1st-timer having 2nd thoughts

It has been so hard to decide the best place for my family (hubby and 2 kids: ages 12 & 9) to stay on Oahu. This is our first trip to Hawaii and I know everything won't be perfect but a bad hotel can be a real discouragement after spending a small fortune to go. We'll be spending 5 nights in Oahu the first week of July and then moving on to Kauai for 4 more nights. I've settled on the Grand Hyatt on Kauai and we are really looking forward to that. I originally had us booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu in the Rainbow Tower but the room was small with 2 double beds. I have a boy and a girl who are past the stage of wanting to sleep in the same bed. Also, my husband and I will be celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary during the week so a little separation from the kids would be nice. I cancelled our reservation at the Hilton and booked a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo at the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Tower -for double the price, I might add. Now I'm wondering if this will really be worth $565/night. Can somebody please shed some light on this? Is this a good move or will I wish I'd stayed somewhere else? The reviews are so mixed - just when I feel good about it, I'll read a terrible review. I've researched these hotels for 3 months and I'm having such a hard time deciding that it's taking the fun out of it. Please help!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Have you looked into private rentals, like on vrbo.com? That seems awfully expensive to me, even though I lived in Hawaii for three years and have returned several times since.

You won't really be in your room that much. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is an excellent location on a very nice part of the beach. There are activities for kids, and the property is large. There's so much to do outside the room that I just don't think the room should be as important as the great location.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
jcn
Original Poster

Just in the last few minutes, I've read several great reviews about the Hilton and now I'm really wondering if I should switch back. I didn't know I could rent a condo at ResortQuest thru vrbo. I'm planning to check on that right now. It is outrageously expensive booking thru the hotel!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Switch back. HHV is good for kids.

RQ Waikiki Beach Tower is not worth double the price. But it is a condo with a full kitchen, so if you want some room & are willing to make some meals, it may be worth a lot more than an HHV room.

You can get a private condo at many of the properties in Waikiki that have management companies like Resortquest or Outrigger. In most properties, the individual condo owners are not forced to go with the management company. So you can find units on www.vrbo.com in the same property.

If you want to save some $$ look into Resortquest Waikiki Sunset. Its decent, but a block from the beach.

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
leavingsoon

What about the HHV Lagoon Tower? Isn't that all suites?

Can be more helpful if you can state what your reasons were for picking the HHV (and I apologize if you've posted this before). If you are after a resort experience in Waikiki, then you have no choice, that is absolutely the place you must stay and you should switch back pronto.

But if you need a home base for exploration, then nighttime convenience, there are tons of less expensive options that are not creepy....what about adjoining rooms in a less expensive property if the resort amenities are unimportant? There are some business-like hotels in Waikiki with lower rates that should come in around $400 for adjoining rooms...the newly redone Hilton comes to mind...small pool. Just fine as a base for exploring...

What about one of the condo hotels on the far end of the park? It's a short stroll to dinner with lots of people around and then you have easy in and out for touring and more space. I'm thinking of either that New Otani or the condos down there at the W end...

You could certainly find something for less.

If you also want a resort experience on Oahu...then have you disqualified Turtle Bay? Perfect for kids. Waterslides, true Hawaii feel...local options for dinner and you'll just have a long drive.

Hard to help without knowing your needs...

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Switch back to HHV if you are deciding between the two. If you haven't checked out VRBO, then you may find it worthwhile. I got married on Oahu last July and found accommodations for many of my guests on vrbo.com. I've also used the site since for places in the continental US. Good luck!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Take a look at the Embassy Suites. I have read good reviews of them and I think they are less expensive than the HHV.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
jcn
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! Also, "leavingsoon", my main reason for choosing HHV to begin with was for the kids. After we settled on the Grand Hyatt on Kauai, I thought 2 huge resorts might be a little much and we'd settle back and have something a little smaller on Oahu. Having 3 beds is my main objective - even a rollaway would be fine but some of the rooms are too small and won't allow a rollaway. I seriously considered the Outrigger Reef on the Beach for a while because they do have rooms with a sofa bed.

I did check on VRBO for the Lagoon Tower at HHV and they seem to either be rented weekely or they are just as expensive as RQ Tower. There is a room in the Diamond Head Tower at HHV which has a separate bedroom and a living area with a sofa bed. I was just a little leary of it being one of the older buildings.

Let me say that I've printed off tons of stuff that fodorites have said about things to do once we get there. It WILL be a wonderful trip - I'm making this too hard so I'm definitely making up my mind TODAY! We leave in 83 days!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM

I guess I'm trying to figure out why you cancelled the Hawaiian Village and booked an apartment for "double" the price. Why not just get a second room at the HV? I think that would solve all your problems -- I'd be very surprised if the HV couldn't give you adjoining or at least adjacent rooms.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not pay that much for a hotel room. I realize you are 4 people but there is NO normal hotel room that would be worth $565 to me.

As above, why not get 2 adjoining rooms at HHV or another beach hotel (anything under $250 you're still 'saving' money)? Or could you have a cot brought in to the HHV room so the kids don't have to share the bed? if that's the driving issue.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:09 AM
leavingsoon

So, it seems like an easy decision:

You are worried about a "bad hotel" yet have found the HHV. It is a "good hotel"!

I just looked at their site, so yeah, the decor is a little dated in that picture of Diamond Head Suite, but what if they've changed the upholstery since then and it's exactly the same?

Once your stuff if all over the chairs and sofa, then you are left with a lot of space in the resort you want to be in and still at a lower rate than the Resort Quest.

It's about the resort...it's not about the room. Waikiki is an old city. Lower your expectations and enjoy everything outside! You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Then, for your 20th you can go to Tahiti just the two of you....

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM

"I would not pay that much for a hotel room. I realize you are 4 people but there is NO normal hotel room that would be worth $565 to me."

What, suze? I read it that the $565 is for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath full condominium apartment. No?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Opps, so sorry, you're absolutely right. Then I guess that is something only the OP can answer. We can't know if it is worth the extra price to her family to have a nice apartment situation with separate bedrooms and bathrooms, or make do with a normal room.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Hopefully you realize that Waikiki is going to be more busy and possibly less relaxing, anywhere you stay, than most places on Kauai. Honolulu is a big city. I'm wondering why you are spending more time on Oahu with kids that age. When our son was that age, we went directly to Maui or Kauai (the last thing we want to do after getting relaxed the first few days is to pick up and head to the airport for a different island midway through the trip, but that's us). But maybe there are important sites, such as Pearl Harbor, you want to see on Oahu. You'll have a great time regardless.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
dmlove

Honolulu is a big city, but Waikiki is a big beach! Don't let the previous poster discourage you -- Oahu is great, and Waikiki is fantastic with kids (and yes, we've been to all of the islands).

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Honolulu has a million people, a freeway (the H1) and tv traffic reports all day. Forget Waikiki beach. Stay over on the east side of the island; there are plenty of homes/ duplexes in Kanahoe Bay and south that will accommodate your family. You have good access to Honolua Bay for snorkelling, the North Shore and the cross-island road is handy to get to Pearl Harbor.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:45 AM

OK, just checked the map; it's Hanauma not Honolua Bay. So much for my memory.

The area I referenced is between the Marine Air base at Kamehoe south to Lanikai. We stayed in the north end a few years back and liked it. The Marine bugler was a good wakeup call. Kailua Beach county park would be perfect for a family; calm water, good views.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM

As a local, I avoid Waikiki at all costs. Too crowded for my tastes.

HOWEVER.....for tourists, I think it's something you want to experience at least once. Yes, it's very "touristy," but what the heck....you ARE a tourist!

Taken with the right attitude and knowing what Waikiki is really about and what to expect, you could have a blast!

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM

jcn.....

....having read your OP again, I can empathize. I think most of us who like to "plan" vacations can empathize. You go through all the details, research, to try and make the best choice. Trouble is, as soon as you make it, the OTHER OPTION looks better!

Afterall, other options are always going to have something your final choice did not.

My advice....do the research, make your choice and be happy with it. If not, as you say, you're going to lose the "joy" out of the trip.

Hey, you're going to be in Hawaii! How bad can it be?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I know the Waikiki Beach Tower very well. It is one of the best condominiums in Waikiki -- certainly with the largest floorplans. A comparable room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, say in the timeshare if rooms were available to the general public, would certainly be that much, if not more.

Here is what you might consider as you determine whether to keep your reservation at the Waikiki Beach Tower or go back to the HHV:

1. How important is the size of the room? If size is less important than having everything in one place within the resort, then HHV is more your style. The Waikiki Beach Tower units are very large -- huge by hotel standards.
2. Where do you want to be located? The Waikiki Beach Tower is right across from famous Waikiki Beach and in the middle of Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is at one end of Waikiki and getting back to the center will require walking or shuttling -- neither of which is daunting, but still required.
3. How important is a large, full kitchen? If your family likes to snack, eat breakfast "in", eat at intervals, or just do your own cooking, then you might consider that besides a larger unit, you'll have the use of a fully equipped kitchen.
4. What kinds of activities are you planning? Unless you plan to spend all your time at the resort, being in a "stand alone" hotel will not be a disadvantage. Honolulu is a pretty large city with varied activities. In Waikiki there is a trolley system, there are taxis, and a great public bus system (that will take you all over the island).

I have cousins who stayed with their families at the Waikiki Beach Tower over the holidays. They loved the convenience of the location and having their own kitchen. If was the second stay for one family. And they are very discrimating travellers, who could afford to stay anywhere.

If this is a very special trip, the price of the accommodations at the Waikiki Beach Tower is worth it.

By the way, please request a room above the 17th floor for the best ocean views.

Have a wonderful trip to our islands!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -