Hawaii

Old Feb 1st, 2018, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

Will be in Los Angeles in April for a wedding and thinking about going on to Hawaii - looking for advice and recommendations. Should we travel on our own from island or take a cruise? Recommendations on islands, sites and cruise lines if you think that is best way to see these --
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 07:49 AM

How long will you have? The general concensus is one week per island, although I've done two islands in 9 days and it was fine. Are you more interested in pool/beach, nature, or lava/volcanoes? Like crowds or peace and quiet?
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Same question as above How long do you have to be in Hawaii total?

Will you be flying back to LAX? Or going home directly from Hawaii?

Tell us a few more details & we can help you plan. aloha, suze
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 09:35 AM

To add to suze's and sf's questions~how many of you are traveling? Will you have children with you? If you are going home directly from Hawaii, where is home? Flights are plentiful from LAX to Honolulu, but it may add significantly to your cost if you're flying back to the east coast of the US or Europe. Five cruise lines offer cruises in length from 7-17 days. If you've never been to Hawaii, it is a good way to get a feel of each of the islands. One of the advantages to cruising is that your accommodations and meals are paid for.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiset...rtDate=2018-04
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 09:43 AM

If you have at least 4 nights or more from Los Angeles, I would definitely recommend going to an island instead of a cruise. I've cruised many times, but to visit Hawaii, cruising doesn't let you see a lot of any particular island.

We've been to Hawaii several times; we are planning our 6th trip in late spring. It's one of our favorite places in the world. Every island has its own unique qualities, and I'm glad we've been to the 4 major islands. We've never been to two smaller ones, but maybe some day.

Come back and give us more information about how long you have, how many and the ages of the travelers, and some of your general interests, and we can help you a little more. Aloha!
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 10:50 AM

If it's really a short amount of time - less than 9 - 10 days - my thought is single island, if you have never been before stick to Oahu and don't over do it. If you have 10 days to two weeks, two islands. I have not done the cruise, so can't comment. But, we've seen lots of day trippers in Kailua-Kona and Hilo from the boats and they always just seem rushed and lost at the same time. It looks like they run around a lot, but waste time - seemingly at the same time. Go for quality over quantity.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 11:05 AM

Fly to Hawaii. See one island if you have less than a week. See two islands (fly between them) if you have 2 weeks.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 12:20 PM

What date in April? Easter is April 1 so many places may already booked since schools will be out for the most part. Also are you looking for a condo or hotel? If you provide a few more details as far as what you would like to see and do, people can make better suggestions. Otherwise folks will just tell you what their favorite island is.
My parents took the cruise and did not care much for it, said it was too rushed with not enough time on land. You can read reviews on "Cruise Critic" as well.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would fly to the islands and see just one or two depending on the time you have. I generally would think about 5 days per island, but everyone is different. Flying between the islands takes time and wastes a day. Also , a lot will depend on whether you are traveling as a family or couple, what you like to do, whether you are just lay on the beach people, etc.. More information will help everyone guide you to the right place.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your responses - these are very helpful - here are more of our details (a work in progress):
We'll be traveling there around April 22nd and expect to be there for 2 weeks. It is my husband and I (both retired but in good health, no children) and one other couple may be joining.
Based on this collective feedback, we will not be doing a cruise but plan a trip on our own (we've often done this on other trips throughout Europe, etc.).
Would want to visit Oahu to see key sites and drive around that island ( we often rent a car and get around to get a feel for the local attractions and hidden favorite sites).
We'd really would like to visit other islands - we don't mind crowds but really appreciate peace & quiet and beautiful beaches - would love to see the volcanos but are not aggressive hikers.
Finding a condo or Air B&B place, esp. on islands other than Oahu would be great.
Hearing more recommendations and favorite sites, places to stay, restaurants and ways to get between islands would be great
PS we will be returning home (Boston) at the end of the trip
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 06:59 AM

The only way to get between islands is to fly (or swim&#128516. There is one ferry I think, but realistically, tourists fly.

Peace and and quiet and beautiful beaches= Kauai. I think a combination of Oahu and Kauai would be great.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:54 AM

Well sounds like Oahu is a for-sure. That's good. There's a lot to do there. Honestly it would be easy to spend the entire two weeks only there.

For an active volcano that would mean going to Big Island. So you'd need to decide how important that is on your wish list.

For "peace & quiet" I think most would recommend Kauai (I have never been so can't speak first hand).

I think Maui is very beautiful and has so much to see and do. And plenty of lodging options, organized activities. But that's also because the island is more "touristed". Haleakala is spectacular (not active but most definitely a 'volcano').
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Heh...maybe two erupting volcanoes "soon" on the Big Island. This was in the paper this morning...Mauna Loa showing signs of next eruption.
Not if, but when? Inflation of Mauna Loa hints at possible eruption - Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Have tentatively made our plans, with the help of a AAA Travel Agent -- going to arrive in O'ahu, spend 3 nights, go on to Maui for 4 nights and then to Hawaii for another 4 ---friends had suggested Kaua'i but agent said that Maui offered more. Given your experience, which would you suggest?
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would do 2 locations, not 3. Too much moving around. I would do the 3 on Oahu then the rest on Maui or Kauai. I found AAA travel agents more interested in selling than actually helping plan an enjoyable trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:13 AM

We held off on visiting Kauai as the last of the four largest islands for us to see; it's the smallest of the ones most commonly visited by tourists. You can't go wrong with either one (Maui or Kauai). My only observation is that while Maui and Kauai offer more typical Hawaiian beach vacation opportunities, Hawaii Island is more of a sightseeing / road trip place. You may want an additional day there and split your time between windward and leeward sides at a 3-2 split. Otherwise, you end up doing a lot of driving just to get home after going to Hilo, Hamakua Coast, Volcanoes NP and Southern Ka'u district. Even if you stay on windward side for two nights, still due to size, a bit more driving involved than other islands.

We have a condo on the big island and love it there...every island is different.. Kaui is something like 8 million years old and the big island around just 300,000 years. Time and tide effect to each is astounding and fascinating. Each island will appeal to you differently and having adequate time is important in appreciating. Your plan sounds good as far as coverage of lots of space, but you'll be in perpetual motion with the short amount of time in each place. Traveling between islands eats up a lot of time - TSA, arrive 90 minutes before your flight, return your rental car, etc. I understand visiting as much as possible, but remind you to not forget to slow down and enjoy the pleasant pace of life in Hawaii.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Between Kauai and Maui, I'd pick Kauai - it's my favorite of the islands, but Maui is great, too. Kauai is called the "Garden Isle" for a reason - it's lush and gorgeous. Maui also has nice beaches, Haleakala and up-country, but "down low" it's more developed than Kauai.

The Big Island is an altogether different experience. I like the parts north of Waikoloa, but am not as enamored of the more touristy areas (the landscape is more lava than palm trees). But for some people, that's their favorite island.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:27 AM

MichelleY has a good point~you'll lose a half day to travel every time you change islands. I fully understand the desire to see and do as much as possible, but I think you'll be more able to enjoy the islands if you stick to just two. Each island has so much to offer, and they're all different. If you really want to see different things, I'd suggest Oahu and the Big Island. Spend part of your time on the Kona side, and part of it on the Hilo side. They are both vastly different~Kona has the beautiful beaches and is warmer; Hilo is more lush and green. There is also Volcanoes National Park~you can view the active caldera from the visitors' center and take some great hikes in the park. I'm a bit partial to the Big Island, particularly the Hilo side, but I have family there and have been able to "live like a local' while I'm there.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 09:09 AM

For a first trip I think Oahu and Maui is excellent. I'd drop the Big Island, only so you won't be running around so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -