Search

Hatcher's Pass Road

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatcher's Pass Road

We will be renting an rv for the first two weeks of June, and want to go to Independence Mine, but read that it doesn't open until mid-June. If we drive the paved road from Palmer to the mine, how far can we expect to get? Is it possible to get out and walk around the grounds at all? Is the drive scenic enough to make it a worthwhile destination, even though the mine will be closed? Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:45 AM

You should call. I read that the park is open daily but the visitors center is closed during winter months. Tours don't start until June 20. We visited right after Father's Day in 2004 and did not take a tour. There are some interesting displays in the buildings so check to see if the buildings are open. Otherwise, yes, it's a scenic drive. We had to stop to inspect a rushing stream because it was such a beautiful color. At that time of year, there are many small wildflowers blooming. We walked around and up the walkway to the mine opening which was filled with ice (and Alaska was having a heat wave right then). The view from there is beautiful and helps you remember how remote it is. Ahead of time, we didn't realize there are some nearby hiking trails so we hadn't planned on doing any hiking but that might be something you should look into. It's a good walk, somewhat steep to the mine entrance.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfrost, for your answer. Maybe calling would be a good thing to do--don't know why I never thought of that! I've read about the gate being closed, but didn't know if it's still possible to get out and walk around; don't want to get arrested for trespassing!lol!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM

You need to put this drive at the end of your routing. It's a scenic drive. But the mine is a highlight. If you don't have time, then you could skip it.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen--Thanks for your reply. We have to have our rv returned by 11am on June 12. Maybe we can wait to visit the mine when we are heading back to Anchorage. I doubt if the mine will be open yet, but we'll still do the drive there, anyway.