Has anyone used craigslist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find a play to stay for 3 nights in NYC without paying a bundle. Trying for $150 a night the first weekend in Oct. Have seen some apt. rentals on craigslist that I like. Has anyone had experience using this method? Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I just made a booking for mid-October at a place in your price range called staythenight.com that advertises on CL (but I first read about it here). They have good feedback on tripadvisor also.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I can tell you when Patrick was looking for a one month rental in NYC and having a hard time through regular booking agents, I suggested he run his own ad on craigslist. He did and found the perfect place but then both he and the renter had a change of plans. People use the site all the time. There are also a number of websites for short stay apts. where you're dealing with agents rather than directly with owners. vrbo.com is another website for dealing direct with owners.

Staythenight is on 93 st & Madison on the upper east side in the Carnegie Hill section.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yep, mclaurie beat me to it. But there isn't anything as I recall on VRBO for less than a week that will fit your needs.
www.nyhabitat.com has some apartments you can rent by the night. It's an extensive site and has tons of listings to look at.

My problem with Craigslist is that so many of the short term rentals seem to be someone going out of town for a few days or a week and wanting to get some money. Reports have often been that there is no room in the closet or refrigerator and you really feel you're in someone else's space. I remember one comment where the people arrived and found a note that they'd need to wash the sheets first as the owner had an early plane to catch and didn't have time! And another one where the cat was left behind and a note to please feed it (with directions).

I approach Craigslist with caution, unless it's an apartment that is actually set up for regular rental (you can usually tell) and has decent pictures. Otherwise "beautifully furnished" often means a futon with a plush leopard print throw over it and an orange crate for a bookcase.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:17 PM

I have had great success using Craig's List to sell unwanted furniture and theater tickets and for finding guys to do work around my property. It is a great service. However, I don't use Craign's List, or any other service, for the purpose you describe.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Buyer beware. In LA Times on August 20th they had an article about a rogue hotel operation working out of a Park La Brea apartment complex. No permits, etc. They said they were advertising on "various websites" as "YourStay Wilshire Apartments" and other similar names.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM

USED the CA version. Friend sold a house, I bought a sailboat and a lot of concert tickets using Craigslist in CA. They're pretty savvy about the scams and have a splash page devoted to this issue. Recently, the individual listings began including a banner warning message.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM

It's true - Craigslist is the most fabulous thing going....for ALMOST everything - but I would not count on a short stay in someone's apartment unless you have a direct reference from someone who has stayed in that exact place. It is almost always someone who wants to make some money while they are away! and you do feel like you are invading their home - definitely avoid that situation.