Has anyone seen River Dance???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 04:45 AM
Kate

Hi,

I am going to New York in a few days, and we have got tickets for Riverdance. Just wondering what it is like??? Also what good restaurants are in the area ( Gershwin Theatre).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Kate

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 05:35 AM
howard

There are lots of good restaurants in the area. How much do you want to spend and what type of food do you prefer?

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 06:55 AM
kate

Hi Howard

I like most food really apart from sea food. Looking to spend about 30 - 40$ but no more than that!

Thanks for your help,

Kate

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 11:39 AM
howard

Check on Garrick's at 242 West 49th St. (between Broadway of 8 Ave.), a couple blocks from the Gershwin. It's located in the Mayfair, a boutique hotel. We've had some good meals there. And, if it's a cold night, you don't have too far to walk.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 01:39 PM
Liz

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Riverdance in person but I do have the video and have watched it many times. It is wonderful! It is Irish step dancing which is sort of like tap dancing but a whole lot better! I'm not sure how close the video (from 1995) is to the actual Broadway show now, but on the video is a wonderful Irish chorale group and a Spanish Flamenco dancer as well as a gospel choir. I hope it comes to L.A. again, I definitely want to see it in person!!!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Cindy

I've seen Riverdance twice. It's fantastic! We loved it! I can't imagine how to move my feet that fast. The second time I went was with my daughter and I bought her the video for her birthday. There are some differences between the video, which was taped at Radio City Music Hall a few years ago, and the live show now at the Gershwin Theater. If you like music and dancing, I think you'll enjoy the show.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Leone

Suggest you obtain an Access guide which organizes everything in NYC by section of the city. Or access Zagat's and look at the 100 places for the best prices. Also, check out places near the theater with Fixed Prices, lunch and dinner. Good luck, enjoy NYC and ciao.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:24 PM
TJ

Riverdance is meant to be spectacular, I have had friends who saw it in London several times as it was so amazing! They were converted to Riverdance fans!
You'll love it!!!Enjoy!!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:43 PM
Cathy

Kate,
I saw the very first performance of Riverdance. It was a short interval act during the European Song Contest when it was staged in Dublin Ireland and it made the hairs stand on the back of my neck, since then I seen the expanded shows and they are just great, enjoy it.

Do remember that Riverdance is Irish dancing in the 20 century and 21st century style and not the traditional style of dancing (the arms are not moved in the traditional style, and the costumes are more elaborate). There are several troups on tour now performing Riverdance but all are part of the orginial Riverdance cast. Each troup is named after an Irish rive ie Liffey, Lee, Lagan etc.

Have a great time,

Cathy

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 04:52 AM
AC

Hi Kate:
Welcome to NYC!
Riverdance is spectacular! It is expanded from the orginal show to accomodate it for the Broadway stage. Be prepared to have goose bumps and the finale is fabulous!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 11:56 AM
GOL

Also, Gershwin has no bad seats.

I could not tell if I liked the music better than the dancing or visa versa. Spectacular!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 04:28 AM
dory

I saw Riverdance when it first opened in the West End in London. It took my breath away and is probably the best show I have ever seen. Enjoy!

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:47 AM
kate

Hi Folks,

Got back from New York a few days ago. Had a wonderful time. And yes Riverdance was ( as you all said) FANTASTIC!!! It really takes your breath away. Was suprised that there were so many empty seats....I thought it would be more popular.

Anyway thanks for all your comments.

Love Kate