Search

Has Anyone Seen all 50 States?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Travel

Has Anyone Seen all 50 States?

If so...
How long did it take to do?
What was the frequency of trips/# of states per trip?
Was this a family vacation goal or..?
What are your top picks of those states?

If not...
Any place you haven't been, but always wanted and why?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:17 PM
Jess

Pretty strange question.
I've hit 49 states (can't find any reason to go to North Dakota) over about 15 years of random traveling.

Most overrated:
Texas (on a per square mile basis this state underachieves mightily; couple of cool cities and an OK beach; crappy weather)
Nebraska (OK, I know no one raves about Nebraska in the first place, but this is one really dull state; we're talking visual Valium here)
New Hampshire (Vermont's less polished redheaded stepchild)

Most underrated:
Utah (not just for Mormons any more)
Maine (10,000 bears can't be wrong)
Montana (where men are men and sheep are...oh well, you know that one already)

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:31 PM
Postal

Wow, tough questions! I've been to all but the Dakotas, both North and South. No timetable; it's just the result of military moves all over the country and some planned vacations.

Alaska and Hawaii are both right up at the top of my favorites list, along with Arizona, Florida (strictly for the beaches), and New York, my home state.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:36 PM
cd

All but Idaho, Colorado, and Vermont. But, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we'll get to those three! This has been over 25+ yrs and we've loved them all but my favorites are Hawaii and Alaska.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 05:41 PM
Thomas

Been to all of 'em. Took 4 months, drove the whole thing just to say I done it.

Liked Iowa a lot. Nice people.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:49 PM
Radar

Iowa is a lot better since Roseanne and Tom Arnold moved their freak show out of the state.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:55 PM
70Something

I count on being one half of those old couples with the map on the back of their car (you know, the one with stickers of each state).

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:34 PM
Duane

Thomas:

"Message: Been to all of 'em. Took 4 months, drove the whole thing just to say I done it."

Just how long did it take to drive to Hawaii?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:58 PM
Lexma90

Stuck at 48 (missing Oregon, not really sure why and Alaska), plus most of the Canadian provinces.

Mostly the result of long family car/camping vacations as a kid, with many, many fond memories. My brother and I started keeping track of the states when we realized how many we'd been to (I think he's stuck at 48, with Alaska and Hawaii still to go). It was no concerted goal, although he and I did drive to Rhode Island for the day when I lived in Boston, just so he could add Rhode Island to his list.

Each year, we would take a 3- or 4-week trip by car. One year, we drove from the midwest up through Canada, through Washington, then (as I recall) back through the northwestern states. Another year, through Nebraska to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and back through Texas. Another year, east through Canada, then back down through Maine and those states. We hit northern and southern California on some trip, can't remember which. A (quick!) drive to New Orleans one Easter break, and a couple of drives to Florida at other Easters. That covers most of them...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:41 AM
gail

What counts as visiting a state? If you make a flight connection in a city, actually leave the plane and walk through the airport, can you count that state?

PS - I will loan Jess my North Dakota visit - as a kid we were driving through central Canada and somehow took the wrong dirt road and later found ourselves about 50 miles into North Dakota.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:29 AM
MM

Gail's question brings up a possible added question: how many states have you been in without really being in it?

I have been in DFW airport but otherwise have no knowledge of Texas. And I have been in Decatur, Nebraska, just to say I've been in Nebraska but that's all I've ever seen of it.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:23 AM
Dave

I've only got Arkansas, AK, and HI to go. I don't fly (now) so I may just have to celebrate 48 and call it "good".

When I did fly, I didn't allow any airport stopovers in the count. You could argue either way, but it seems not quite in the spirit of the theme to only breathe stale airport air and not really touch the ground and be able to count that as a whole state.

I once spent a Memorial Day weekend weekend trip going from Michigan to Deleware just to check it off. (Beautiful state BTW if you discount Wilmington...at least the part that I got lost and saw!)

The next theme may be state capitals...I mean the actual state capital buildings. Probably a retirement project, although I've already got quite a few. (favorite building so far, PA, after a wonderful renovation)

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:28 AM
dave

I forgot...favorite state.... California. I know, I know....but you can't argue with a combination like Big Sur (Pt Lobos) Carmel, Yosemite, Redwoods, old Missions all over, San Fran, Venice, Mojave, Napa....and much more

JMHO

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:36 AM
cl9

Airports don't count. At least not how we figure it.
I plan to eventually see all 50 states (and then I'd like to get all the provinces of Canada and then maybe Mexico).
Right now I'm only at 29. But I plan to get four more next summer and if I ever make it to the Northeast I'll be able to get several states in a couple weeks.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:21 AM
ay

I agree strongly that airport visits do not count, unless you actually leave the airport premises.

That being said, I have not been to either of the Dakotas or Oklahoma, and don't see when I can get there. I may have to make special trips to each just to satisfy this urge.

I have been to Canada a bunch of times--don't forget that our big friendly furry neighbor to the north is really the 51st state!

Happy July 4th!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Lou

I've been tracking my progress for years. I do not count airport stop overs, and neither can you. Also, if you just cut the corner of a state while driving without stopping, no good either. I always say you need to visit at least 2 cities, or spend the night for it to count. I'm at 45, needing AK, MS, OR, WA, and ID. I hope to knock the 3 in the upper left corner in one trip soon.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Clemm

I have never been to Ontario but I sure do hope to make it thar soon.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
sara

Not yet but I have my US map and my map pins ready!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
T.A.

On behalf of all Travel Agents everywhere, I'd just like to inform you that there are actually 51 states in the United States. See, how could you get along with the useful services we provide.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:32 PM
Paul Rabe

Here's what I said on March 11, when this question was last asked (it gets asked about twice a year):

When my plane to Anchorage stopped at Ketchikan on 1993 May 24, it was number 50 for me. We were allowed to get off the plane; so I got my picture made at the airport, joking "just in case the plane crashes before Anchorage!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -