Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown from LaGuardia since the positive bag matching started? Questions???

Search

Has anyone flown from LaGuardia since the positive bag matching started? Questions???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:02 AM
nervous

A friend told me the horror story of his flight from JFK this week since the positive bag matching started. He left at 5:00 a.m. (we are 1 hour from the airport) for a 9:00 a.m. flight and says he just made the flight! He said there were lines everywhere and people were missing flights right and left.

I have a 7:15 am flight from Laguardia coming up, with my kids. Does this mean I have to get them up at 2:00 a.m. to make sure we don't miss our flight? I'm already stressing over this as it will basically nullify the entire first day of our already brief 6 day vacation not to mention the last day of our return flight. We will arrive exhausted and basically ruined for the day. Please tell me his experience wasn't the norm.

He believes this is going to kill the travel industry since it is so much of a hassle to fly that people won't do it - at any cost!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
nervous

bump up!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:40 AM
nervous

Help please, I'm getting an ulcer worrying about this!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:02 PM
nervous

Where is everybody? Are you all still waiting in line???

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:09 PM
x

Your question is somewhat idiotic. Yes, you have to be there at 2. Happy!?!?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:18 PM
nervous

How is asking someone who HAS FLOWN from Laguardia in the last 2 weeks whether they think it is necessary to arrive over 3 hours early an idiotic question? Since you answered me, I assume you have in fact flown from Laguardia very recently and can attest to horrendous waits then, or are you just rude?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Bob

Flew from LaGuardia yesterday. Took 39 minutes at 7am from cab to plane. Was on Delta.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Scott

Perhaps "x" is responding to your last line, Nervous: "He believes this is going to kill the travel industry since it is so much of a hassle to fly that people won't do it - at any cost!" Sounds a LOT like Vance and the anti-Southwest Airlines posts he occasionally pops off with.

I, too, avoid posts with Chicken Little comments like this. I made an exception with yours to tell you why people avoided it.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Emily

Flew from LGA on Continental 1/20/02, no problems at all. Didn't even notice that anything had changed.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
nervous

Well THANK YOU Bob! I was only trying to find out if it was as bad at Laguardia as it was at JFK! Excuse me for trying to get a little travel info off a travel forum.

By the way, my friend is VP of sales for a television network and I'm only telling you all what he told me. He will not travel for pleasure and only for business if absolutely necessary after the experiences he's had recently. Just offering an observation from a former frequent flyer on the off chance that some would find it interesting, but I guess that's a no-no here too for some reason?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:37 PM
nervous

Thanks to you too Emily, I'm relieved to hear that my friends experience was the exception rather than the rule.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:43 PM
nervous

He also said that in first class on Southwest they served him only peanuts! (Again, this is not a chicken little story, just an interesting anecdote), so if your thinking it's worth $$$$ to fly first class, think again!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Susan

I don't think Southwest has first class. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:32 PM
xx

Southwest is all-coach. Nervous, I'd quit now.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:22 PM
nervous

No, they have some flights that are first and coach - no business class! I wouldn't make anything that stupid up!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
David

Honey, trust me. I work for Southwest. All seats are coach class. You're making a fool of yourself arguing this point.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Tom

David is correct. Southwest has one class seating. Call it first, business or coach but there's no differentiation. Fare differences are much lower than most other carriers, too, between 21-day advance fares and "walk up" fares. Even coast to coast, SW full fares are reasonable compared to the other carriers.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Adam

Southwest doesn't fly to JFK or LaGuardia. Maybe you mean Northwest?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:09 PM
nervous

OK, so maybe my friend told me the wrong airline. What's the Big deal? If it makes you happy I'll call him tomorrow to verify exactly which airline. Sheesh! I know he said it was the only way he could fly non-stop from JFK to Las Vegas. After he said he flew first class on Southwest I didn't grill him as to whether he was sure it was the correct airline. Obviously you all know more about which airlines have which classes than I do, which is why I'm here looking for answers, instead of accusing people of making up silly stories! Mea Culpa already!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:32 PM
It's

No, see, really folks, there are huge lines at airports everywhere, but the media and the airlines are conspiring not to tell anyone! Enough of this chicken little crap, already!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -