Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to South Fork Ranch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Dallas

I will be in the Ft. Worth area and being a fan of Dallas have always wanted to visit the South Fork Ranch. Has anyone been and do you think it was worth?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:25 PM
x

It's pretty much in the middle of no where. Far smaller and less impressive that what I remember seeing every week on Dallas.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:29 PM
kkj

Went many years ago. The entrance and approach to the ranch was just like the show. However, touring the inside made me feel like I was going through a model house. Personally unless you've been watching reruns of the show recently, you will probably be disappointed. Other than the approach it won't mean much.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:04 PM
sister

I've been there also..it is in the middle of no where. Used to be flea markets there on the weekend..and isn't there a mobile home park behind the place now? Regardless..if you are a big fan of the TV show, stand out by the road by the white fence and have somebody take your picture. I think the town is called Murphy "Southfork" is located in...Way north and Way est of Dallas.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
JJ

It's a ranch. Do you people really think that it would be in downtown Dallas as opposed to the "middle of nowhere?" (Nowhere is one word, by the way!)

It's smaller than it looks on TV and not very impressive IMHO but if you're a fan of the show, go to it. It's not all that far from Dallas' northern suburbs.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:17 PM
xxx

The only favorable memory I have is that I bought my favorite cookbook in the giftshop at the clearance table.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:14 PM
DS

Dallas:

I also am a huge fan of Dallas, and went to Southfork several years ago when I was in town getting computer training. As most of the other posters have said, the house is much smaller than it appeared on television. As I recall, it's about 40 mins. from downtown Dallas. The grounds, however, are pretty impressive. The surrounding area looks pretty run-down. I have to imagine that the Ewings would have chased all of these neighbors, given the chance . . . !

But what I remember most is the fact that my stupid class did not get out until late (I think it was around 3:30), and by the time I fought the traffic there, there were no more tours for the day. But the grounds were open, and so I went up to the house anyway. I didn't get to go inside the house, but I nevertheless think it was totally worth it! I got to sit at the table out on the patio where the characters used to gather for breakfast. It looked to me like the actual table and chairs that they used on the show!

So if you are a true die-hard fan, I say go! Otherwise, I frankly don't think I'd bother!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Mac

Don't waste your time!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
oh no!

Do folks still go to South Fork? Gosh, what an anacronysm! As the previous posters said, it's much smaller than what you were led to believe it is on TV. Once upon a time (like 20 yrs ago) it was in the middle of nowhere, but time marches on and as the metroplex has grown, the lil ole ranch in Allen (up 75, due north of Dallas) ain't so far out anymore. It's still quite a trek to get there from downtown Dallas.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
Southfort

As a previous poster said, it's in Murphy, TX, on Murphy Rd. and north of the Southfork Mobile Home Park, where all the streets are named after the characters on the show.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:16 PM
Southfork

Correction to the above, it's located in Parker, TX, which is north of Murphy and Murphy Rd that far north turns into Hogge Rd.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Christie

If you want the best Southfork experience, go to the gift shop and buy a T-shirt, then walk down and have someone take your picture in front of the gate. DO NOT pay $15 for the tour! It is a RIP OFF! None of the interior of the house was ever used for filming, and the house isn't very impressive at all inside. The whole ranch is mostly used for company picnics and meetings these days.

To get there, you would take 75 north to Parker Road, and head east. Parker Road will turn into Murphy Road, and you'll see the ranch on the right about 10 miles off the highway.