Has anyone been sick on a cruise?

Jan 27th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Cathy

Has anyone been sick on a cruise?

Thinking about a cruise but I get motion sickness. One web site mentioned the patch but it also cause dizziness, and alot of other symptoms I don't want. As well, my husband smokes. Does anyone know if you can smoke on a cruise and where?

Jan 27th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Dottie

Cathy
Pick a cabin in the center of the boat, it will have less motion. Start with the patch BEFORE your cruise. I think maybe 24hrs before. Ask your doctor. I am not familiar with any side effects caused by the patch. Have a good time!

Jan 27th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Boots

Hi Cathy - the best place to get cruise info is on Fodor's cruise forum. From the Fodor's home page, go to "Travel Talk" and click on "full list" There is a separate forum for cruises with lots of good info on sea sickness.

Jan 27th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Chris

cruisecritic.com can also give you a lot of insight.

Jan 28th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Tricia

Cathy:
I went on a 4 day cruise 2 years ago.
I wore the patch behind my ear, and I had this wrist band for motion sickness. When we left Miami, the captain announced "We will be experiencing some fairly rough seas, but just until about midnight". O.K. I was alright getting ready for dinner, could even feel the rocking motion of the boat. By the time I was seated at dinner, I didn't even get to order!! I needed to leave there fast.
I went back to the room, layed down, but never vomited. My husband came back to room (after having lobster X2) and said he was told that I must eat, or I wouldn't feel better. So, we went to the cafeteria where I had some of a slice of cheese pizza. Mind you, I pretty much needed to hold onto the walls to get there since the boat was really swaying back and forth....
I did feel better in the morning. By then we were docked and believe me, I was the first in line to deboard!!
My husband had an excellent time while on board. (I'm never cruising again). But, it is such an economical way to see the Carribbean that I think it's worth a try for everybody.
Heading home, when I felt pretty bad, I was able to lay in a chaise lounge on the top tier of ship. As long as I could see the horizon, I was o.k. By the way, I upgraded our cabin so we would have a window. Bad idea. If there's a chance you may get sick, don't look out the window! Just a bit of advice...
Have a great time if you choose to go. It's still one of our most memorable times together. We had much fun while in the Bahamas. Tricia
p.s. I understand ginger can also be good for nausea.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:07 AM
bj

Unfortunately, this is one of many things cruise lines are not entirely truthful about. My daughter, mildly motion sensitive, was sick every single night at sea even in mild seas.
She had the patch and bonine but was unable to attend any of the evening meals.
The motion of the ship is always felt no matter where you are despite the cruiseline PR about "stabalizers".
There were LOTS of others on the same cruise with the same problem to varying degrees. You will hear lots of advice from folks who have used patches/bonine/bracelets and I'm glad its worked for them.
To be perfectly honest, I can give you a dozen other reasons why cruising may not be for you, but I'm sure I'll get flamed.
Some of these remedies MAY work for you but do you really want to spend 3 or 4 days (or more) of your vacation trying to chance upon the right combination???
Sorry, just talking from experience.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:17 AM
joan

I kind of agree with BJ. Went on a cruise with four other women, we all wore the patch. I was the only one who kept it on. The others couldn't stand the side effects: blurred vision and drymouth. I was OK with it, have gone on several cruises since. Cathy, I don't know where you live, but how about trying an experiment: take Bonine beforehand and go out on a boat for a couple hours. If this works, then cruising will be a piece of cake!

Also, smoking depends on the cruiseline. On Holland America and Royal Caribbean, smoking was allowed in any room. They call me the "nose" in my family, but I couldn't detect it at all, even on an Alaska cruise with the ship closed up and heated (except in lounges).

P.S. As someone else suggested, for the absolute most complete advice on cruising, go to cruisecritic.com. Much better than Fodor's cruise board.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Carol

Cathy, last year at the Miami boat show I bought an oil that is 100% natural for my expecting daughter in law. She gets sea sick on our boat. Just sitting at the dock makes her sick.

It is called Motion Eaze -
Web site is WWW.motioneaze.com

This stuff works, no side effects at all and its all natural. My daughter in law is now a real boater./ Baby and all

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:26 AM
bj

Good suggestion Joan but my daughter does just fine on the smaller boats, catamarans, whitewater rafting etc, its that slow rolling that got to her.
I didn't really care for the feeling either.
I kind of think she might have been better off without the patch as you found out.

Jan 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Laura

I was worried about this as well, but fortunately the rocking didn't bother me at all. We did have to hold onto the rails sometime's. I actually found the motion made me sleep better!

Jan 29th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Jeff

ANyone try ginger?

Search this Thread