Harbor Beach Marriott Ft Lauderdale Snorkel?

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Beach Marriott Ft Lauderdale Snorkel?

Hi - My DH and I will be heading to the Harbor Beach Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale Sept 5-8. We have an early flight the 5th and a late flight the 8th so we really have the better part of four days. We are prepared for the heat and humidity ... no worries there ... plan to spend lots of time in the pool and in the ocean.

The Marriott website indicates there is snorkeling nearby ... anyone know how close? Is it walking distance ... is it decent snorkeling? We prefer to use our own gear so I'm deciding if its worth packing it.

I know there are lots of posts on this hotel and the area but any other suggestions are welcome! We will be mainly relaxing, swimming, and eating ... maybe a little shopping one day.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 05:30 PM

First I want to say I'm jealous. I was in Ft.Lauderdale last November and we stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach hotel. Beautiful resort. Lovely grounds. We even had a oceanview room. I would stay here again. The only negative is the parking fee. Be prepared to pay $16.00 a day if your renting a car.

Wish I could help ya regarding your snorkling question. Unfortunately, we didn't snorkel. Enjoyed the private beach. Pool area was nice too. Your close to restaurants and shopping. Not in walking distance. I know there is a water taxi that picks up near the hotel. We didn't use it since we rented a car. One other nice thing about the Marriott is you'll be close to the cruise dock. It was nice seeing the cruise ships coming & going.

Have fun!!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janny - we will be jealous of all those folks on the cruise ships as we love to cruise. We don't plan to rent a car as we really just want to relax. I looked into the water taxi and seems like we can easily use it for the little bit of shopping we plan to do and for eating off property a few times.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

ttt - anyone know about the snorkeling?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I'd contact the concierge at the hotel. I was at Marriott Marina last week and the info channel showed snorkeling in the Ft. Laud area. A google search would work too.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Do not bother bringing your gear. There is nothing to see, the waters are generally pretty turbid and there's no coral to speak of in the area. All you will see is fish, and few of those unless you start throwing food. There isn't musc in the way of snorkeling anywhere in Florida until you get way down in the keys. Now the British Virgin islands is another story......