Search

Hana cassette tape

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Amy

Hana cassette tape

Has anyone purchased the Hana cassette tape? What's it like? I've seen ads for a cheaper Hana tape for $7 at Coconuts Activity Center. Is it the same (w/ map) as the one sold at the Shell Service Station in Kahului? Thanks for any help-going to Maui & Kauai in Sept.

Old May 7th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Chuck

Hi Amy, we purchased the coconut tape 6 years ago on our first vist to Hana so my memory is a little fuzzy bu tI think it was fine. Its not like you can get lost or anything but it was good to point out stuff that you could not se like waterfalls to hike to that were hiddedn from view, local lore as well as essentials such as where to stop for the bathroom and great viewing areas. hope this helps.

Old May 17th, 1999, 07:13 AM
Julie

We bought the tape at the Shell Station. It was very informative - you also get 4 bottles of water with your tape. (You'll need these)

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:28 PM
mark

We were just in Maui and did the Hana thing. Didn't have the tape, so can't comment on it. We had the book "Driving and Discovering Maui and Molokai" and it was extremely helpful, not only for the Hana trip, but for the whole island. I got mine through the Border's website for about $16, I think Amazon has it for $20.

Old May 20th, 1999, 12:33 PM
Kevin

My wife and I did the Hana drive last year on our Honeymoon and bought the Snorkel Bob driving tape for about $7. It was quite humorous and very informative about what you were seeing and where the best places were to stop and get out. Snorkel Bob's is a chain of dive and beach equipment stores located throughout Maui.

Also, if you decide to do the "back" road, make sure you have a spare tire. We blew out one of ours along the way and it is a lonely place to be looking for a phone, however, the views were well worth a little anxiety.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 01:16 PM
M & J

We rented the tapes and enjoyed the commentary and music. One of the above posts mentions having a spare tire--very good idea. Or, do what we do-purchase a can of Fix a Flat or a similar product. If you use it to inflate a puncture, make absolutely sure you tell the tire repair person what you used. In Hana, hike into the bamboo forest.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 05:20 AM
Jon

If you drive to Hana (rather than taking a van tour), be SURE to take along the excellent "Hana Cassette Guide." Call 572-0550 the day before you go, to reserve this and to arrange to get it. This is a tape recording, sold or rented to you with a tape player for your car, that tells you what to see along the way, while you drive to Hana. You will see twice as many wonderful sights if you take this guide tape recording along. Another company offering audio cassette tours is Best of Maui (871-1555).

The day before you drive to Hana, call the Maui police at 244-6400 (or the Hana Branch at 248-8311) to find out whether there will be major road construction delays on the road to Hana.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon