Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HAMPTON INN, Queen Anne neighborhood, SEATTLE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:50 AM
Ruth

Hi Fodorites, Is anyone familiar with this area in Seattle, or this Hampton Inn? Would you recommend it for a week's stay in Seattle area at Thanksgiving, and would it be convenient to things most visitors are interested in? Any other hotels you'd like to recommend? Trying to stay around $150/night or less. How is the weather that time of year? Thank you in advance!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 08:12 AM
John

Hi, Ruth,
The Hampton Inn should be fine for your stay. It's located close to Seattle Center (Space Needle, sports and concert halls, Science Center, monorail to downtown shopping center). A couple of blocks from the hotel is the Lower Queen Anne shopping area with lots of interesting shops, restaurants, etc.

At your price range I'd be surprised if there weren't some good advance deals to be had with other downtown hotels, such as the Inn at the Market or the Monaco, which would be closer to the main visitor attractions. You might check out some web booking services like Expedia or Travelocity to see if you can get something good.

The weather is likely to be rainy and miserable. It can also be wonderful and autumnal (good word, eh?) or wintry. Sorry but them's the facts.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 03:16 PM
Ruth

To John: Thank you so much for your response! So it sounds as though the Hampton Inn would be fine, but being right downtown in another hotel would be ideal, right? Would early October be much, much better weather-wise than late November? I read somewhere that the average high in November was about 42 degrees - is that right? I was thinking of coming later so that I could wrap vacation days around the Thanksgiving holiday, and extend my vacation time that way, saving a couple of days for other things. But maybe not such a great idea .......... Any recommendations for how many days in Seattle and how many outside, in a seven day trip? Thanks so much, John, and whoever else would like to jump in!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:48 PM
arjay

Lat year, we stayed at the Travelodge which I believe is just up the street from the Hampton Inn....It's a tad off the beaten track, but a short walk to the monorail that whisks you downtown and the nearby Queen Anne neighborhood IS a neat place to explore. We found the BEST Italian restaurant there, run by an Oriental couple that had gotten sick of their Chinese eatery. But I'd have some concern about walking around the side streets after dark (not the bustling streets of QAnne, but the quiet adjacent streets and, if the Hampton is where I'm thinking..the area twixt it and the monorail.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:08 PM
sheri doyle

Ruth, that time of year, you should be able to get a good deal in your price range in on of the nicer downtown hotels. For instance, my rate at the new W Hotel will be $145/night in November. Ask the hotel you're interested in for the Supersaver rate. The Hampton Inn is fine, but in November you'll want to be within close walking distance of things (since it'll probably be raining!).

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:18 PM
John

Hi again, Ruth
The weather in early October has a much better chance of being nice than in late November, although this year has been unusually cool and wet, so no promises. The days will be longer, too in Oct., don't forget.
If it were me I'd look for something in the city center rather than on the downtown fringe; any extra cost (which wouldn't be too much if you book well in advance) would be worth it. The Inn at the Market would be ideal, or the Monaco, Alexis, the Sheraton, Vintage Park, Mayflower... lots of choices depending on your tastes.
If you're in the area for a week, I'd recommend 4 days in the city and 3 for day trips to explore the region - a ferry across the sound is a must, maybe Port Townsend or Victoria for a day trip, Mt. Rainier for scenery and fall color. But Seattle itself has so much to offer that I'd tend to stick close to the city and venture out when the weather and opportunity permits.