Hamilton Cove, Catalina - NEED INFO!

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamilton Cove, Catalina - NEED INFO!

My husband, my 2-year-old daughter, and I are planning a trip to Catalina in August, 2004. My husband and I have been to Avalon before, in 2000. I've been captivated by the pictures of Hamilton Cove that I've seen on the net - does anyone have any opinions about it? Stay there, or don't?

Also, I see that most rental places there allow you to rent a golf cart - but how do you get from the Avalon pier when you arrive to Hamilton Cove, does anyone provide transportation there?

One more thing - if you rent a unit there, what are your food options? Are the only restaurants/groceries in Avalon? Would they deliver?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM

I went to Catalina last May and my boyfriend and I were seriously considering Hamilton Cove because (as with you) the pictures looked fabulous. We tried to contact the rental agency handling the booking and never, ever got a response. One, I absolutely hate rudeness, and two, there are just too many other places in and around Avalon to not at least respond to an individual's request.

When I did some investigating (which is difficult by looking strictly at the Hamilton Cove web site), it seems that when you arrive, you must take a water taxi or one of the vans that are at the pier. Also, unless you want to cook most meals, it means having to truck into Avalon to eat - and then cart back groceries.

I think Hamilton Cove might be a nice place to stay (if you can get anyone to respond to you!), but I think you need to evaluate what you want to do. We were looking to poke around Avalon, take an inland tour, and relax at our hotel. Hamilton cove would not have suited our needs for that. I ultimately was very pleased we stayed where we did (Vista Del Mar) and not at Hamilton Cove.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your candid response, though I'm disappointed by what you said. I was hoping to hear it was an island paradise! Oh, well. I had been looking at the hotels - last time we went (2000) we stayed at the Metropole, but they all seem a little pricey. With a 2-year-old, we'll need a separate bedroom and living area (or two bedrooms) and a kitchenette would be infinitely useful. That's why I was hoping to find something like Hamilton Cove. Any further ideas?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I would really, really reconsider Hamilton Cove. We like you have small children and you know how hard it is to have everyone in one small room at a hotel. Yes, the gals at the hamilton cove association didn't seem to give a rat's doo doo about us but the reality is that you'll receive this kind of cool treatment no matter where. Just call the 310, not the 800 number, don't email as I didn't receive a reply either. I long ago stopped becoming insulted by appointment desk individuals. Try to be pleasant, get your dates set up, decide on the condo and the details, the options available are staggering... and then just look at like a wonderful get away. You'll have someone's home that you'll be staying at and I can tell you the Hamilton Cove is a pleasant change from Avalon. With kids you'll enjoy the privacy of a living room, bedroom, real kitchen, sometimes fireplace and balcony. It's a beautiful place and remember you're not vacationing with the ladies at the reservation desk. You'll be with your family, guest, whomever and that's where your focus will be during your stay. You can use all of the facilities there, private beach and yes, take the golf cart and go shopping at the Von's in town. It's all how you look at it. You can blow all your bucks on restaurants or do the smart thing, load up with food one time and make stuff at your condo. Many have bbq's and the experience will be miles above a noisy hotel experience, believe me. I am certain that you'll always have some snooty, hard to reach individual at the best of best places. Work beyond that and don't let it get to you. Also, be pleasant and people will be pleasant back. Amazingly true. Good luck!!!!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM

chele60,

Tell us more about Vista Del Mar...what did you like/dislike.
I'm visiting Avalon in Oct. w/ a friend, and have been considering VDM.