Reload this Page >

half-price theater ticket availability

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Penny

My husband and I are considering a trip to New York in a few weeks. Because it's been hard to find a room, we know Manhattan is a popular destination this time of year.

For us, going to the theater is an essential part of the trip. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting half-price tickets to shows like Kiss Me Kate in September? We'd rather put off our trip to another month and be able to get discounted tickets to to shows than have to pay full price for one show.

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:59 AM
t.r.

Hi Penny:
Here is our experience in August. I went to TKTS booth in Times Square at 1:30 pm and there were already a few people in line (7 or 8). This place is open at 3 pm so I brought a book to read. I wished I had a bottle of water. It wasn't longer than two minutes after opening when I walked away with two tickets to Kiss Me Kate. Seats were great, very enertaining musical. Good luck in getting the tickets of your choice. Avoid Ameritania hotel: dark, excepionally tiny rooms which they call superior rooms, towels which used to be white a long ago. We found inexpensive italian restaurant Noccelo with great food. I hope you will have as much fun as we did when visiting this very special place

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:17 AM
tweedy

Penny the weather is going to get a little bit cooler over the next few weeks and the tourists are leaving the city, our prime tourist season is pretty much over since most children are heading back to school.

TKTS is so great and if you didn't know there is another TKTS booth in the World Trade Center which opens at 11am, it is so much more convenient and less crowded than the booth at Times Square, I rarely have to wait more than a few minutes in line, but do go early say 10am.

You should be able to get whatever tickets you are looking for. Have a great trip.

tweedy

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:21 AM
howard

In September, you may not be as lucky as t.r. with getting tickets for Kiss Me Kate. August is a slower theater month that September. If anything, they probably would only be available for a midweek (i.e., Tuesday-Thursday) performance. Forget get about weekend performances. Good luck; it's a good show!
P.S.: Don't wait for October, as that's usually a busier month for the theater than September!
It doesn't really slow up for a while--a week or two before Christmas and then right after New Year's.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Kristi

Just returned from NYC yesterday. On Friday (Sept. 1st), we got to the TKTS boot at about 4 p.m., waited in line for about 1/2 hour, and got two seats to Kiss Me Kate (at half price, still about $90). But Labor Day is not a huge theater weekend.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 08:12 AM
howard

Adding to my previous comments, Penny, don't get your hopes up too high. The fact that the summer tourists have left New York doesn't mean availability of theater tickets has improved. Despite the big influx of summer tourists, August is one of the slowess months for the theater, which is why so many shows had tickets available at the half-price booth. As fall arrives, you won't be as lucky. I'm not saying you won't get them, but don't think of it as anything close to a sure thing.
And, as Kristi pointed out, her good fortune came about because Labor Day weekend is a very slow time for the theater.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 09:04 AM
lin

What are the chances of half price tickets for Blue Man Group and De La Guarda?

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Donna

The reality is, you just never know. There are all sorts of ins and outs to obtaining seats for shows in NYC. But, if there's something you'd really like to see in good seats, your best bet is to book ahead. We've learned that it's worth the extra. We'd rather go on the day at the time we'd prefer and have terrific seats than dwell on "discounted" tickets. The best seats and times are well worth "full price" to us.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 04:53 AM
xxx

I have never seen Blue Man Group or De La Guarda (off-B'way productions) at the TKTS booth. You should definitely get those ahead of time.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 08:33 AM
howard

xxx is correct about Blue Man Group and De La Guardia. Being off-Broadway shows, however, tickets are cheaper than for Broadway shows.