Reload this Page >

Halekulani vs. Moana Surfrider

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:18 AM
valuent

i've read about a year and a half of posts to get ready for my first trip to hawaii. i've narrowed my choices to these two hotels. would anyone who's stayed at both give me pros and cons of each so i can decide between the two? thanks.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Celeste

I lived in Hawaii for three years and have visited several times since, and the Halekulani remains the only place I wish I could afford to stay! I have only seen one of their rooms, and eaten in only one of their restaurants, and watched only one of their sunset hula shows in the shadow of Diamond Head, but I guarantee you the Halekulani is the place to go! The Moana Surfrider doesn't even come close!

If I win the lottery tomorrow, I will fly to Hawaii the day after to stay at Halekulani!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:53 PM
aj

I stayed at the Halekulani years ago on a fluke. It is pristine, service is excellent, pool lovely, beach OK. Many Japanese clientele when I was there. Visited the Moana Surfrider, saw rooms, etc. and it has a way more Hawaiian atmosphere, better beach and location, more affordable restaurants--I would stay at the Moana if I had to do it again.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:53 PM
valuent

when you say the halekulani's "beach is ok" - what does that mean? i read in a post that it's narrow where the halekulani is. why is the moana's location "better"? i read in a post that it has a private beach is that true? and if so, does that mean it's less crowded? and one more question - why is it more "hawaiian"? thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:13 PM
aj

Halekulani--yes, narrow beach near the "end" of Waikiki, sort of. Didn't notice a "private beach" anywhere--everyone just walks along. Moana has beautiful Hawaiian bedspreads, big Banyon tree where you can eat outside underneath it, wood lobby I believe--not as "corporate" feeling as Halekulani. If you are looking for service, however, I'm sure the Halekulani beats them hands down. The reception people remember your name--check in is in your room. Beautiful bath/robes/glass shower, etc.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:20 PM
John

Halekulani is the nicer hotel, but also a bit more formal feeling.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:49 PM
JC

I would stay at the Halekulani. If you go for the Moana Surfrider, be sure to opt for an ocean view room in the old building. City side rooms are incredibly noisy. Ruined my stay there.