Halekulani or Kahala Mandarin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to go to Oahu in early March (early 30s). We love to stay at the very best luxury hotels and wanted some thoughts on staying at the Halekulani vs. Kahala Mandarin Oriental? We are leaning towards the Halekulani. We will probably spend 4 days in Lanai at the FS prior to Oahu.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM

I have walked through and eaten at both places, but have not stayed there. I would pick the Halekulani for its location - there is so much within walking distance. The KMO is farther away from everything. (If you want quiet, the KMO may be the better choice!)

Whichever you pick, do not miss the House Without a Key beachside lounge at the Halekulani, at the sunset show. They serve exquisite mai tais, have great musicians and a very classy hula show by a former Miss Hawaii, great food, and a wonderful setting. After three years in Hawaii, it remains one of my most perfect memories of the islands.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM

I agree with Postal. I have stayed at the Halekulani, and it is top notch with very attentive service and excellent food. I have not stayed at the Kahala MO, but it is more isolated. If you are going to Manele Bay first (I just returned from there) you will have plenty of quiet there. The Halekulani is my favorite Hawaiian hotel.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not stayed at the Halekulani but strolled through it, had a drink at the bar ( I forget the name) and had dinner at La Mer. I loved it and wished I had stayed there. What a great tranquil oasis in the middle of Waikiki. I have not stayed in or seen the Kahala Mandarin so cannot provide a comparison.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:24 AM

I personally would rather stay at the Halekulani because of the location and its restaurants, but if you're really into nice hotel rooms the Mandarin has better rooms and awesome bathrooms. I know it sounds weird to rave about a bathroom, but I think that thing was bigger than my first apartment.