Haleakala National Park

Jul 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Haleakala National Park

My husband and I (almost 30) will be going to Hawaii in a little over a week =D> . We would love to see a sunrise in Haleakala but we are staying in Waimea.

1) Is it worth the long drive to see the sunrise? We figured we would have to be on the road by about 3 AM . (Note that we are coming from the east coast so we were thinking we might be up around then on our first day!)

2) We would also like to see the sunset at Haleakala. We are into hiking so we could do that for part of the day. Somebody told us there are wineries or something around there that we could kill time. Is this the case? If not, is there anywhere to get food at Haleakala (a hot dog or sandwich would be fine!).

3) Is there anywhere else that you would reccommend seeing the sun rise or set?

Thanks for your help! ANy other advice/words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Jul 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

We did the sunrise at Haleakala, and it was really amazing. We did get up about 3:00, but like you said it's easiest to do it on your first day before your body gets adjusted to the time. One helpful hint: dress warmly. Our guidebook said that no matter how many clothes you have on it won't be enough, and it was really cold - even ice on the ground because of the altitude.

If you can, bring coffee or hot chocolate with you to keep warm. We got great pictures of the sun coming up through the clouds. You're actually above the clouds - we thought it was worth doing.
Jul 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

The coffee and hot chocolate are a great idea! I will remember to pack warm clothes.

Any other ideas?
Jul 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM

No one in my family wanted to get up in the middle of the night, or drive the curvy roads in the dark, so we just went up after breakfast one morning. Haleakala is totally amazing. It was still very cold even later in the morning, pile on all your clothes or grab a blanket from your hotel.

Once you are in the park, but before you are at the top, there are other places of interest to stop and hike in along the way. Definitely do that either going up or coming down, depending your time of day.

You can actually hike or horseback ride down in the crater, if you want to make a day of it. I don't remember seeing any food services within the park (I could be wrong) I think you'd need to pack a picnic.
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM

We went early afternoon and it was amazing. I HIGHLY reocmmend buying the Maui Revealed book. It told us neat places to hike around there and was also a tremendous resource on Road to Hana. The protea farm is worth a stop. It is near Kula. The Kula Marketplace is also a neat place to stop. We had lunch in the cowboy town (I can't remember the name of the town - something like Makawo) at the Stopwatch - good burgers - nice view from the back deck.
There is also the lavendar farm. We did not make it over there, but it is supposed to be neat.
There was not a restaurant ince you enter the park, I recommend packing a lunch. Several place in Pa'ia sell the box lunches and even let you rent a cooler. Have fun!
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Sunrise on Haleakala is definitely worth getting up at 3:00 a.m. (Many who say sunset is just as good have never been at sunrise!) I wouldn't bother to bring warm clothes - most people just take their hotel blanket (hotels don't mind!) because that's the only time you'll need anything warm. You can stop at Kula Lodge on the way down for breakfast ... really good place! No food service in the park area that I know of ...

I have also done sunset, and it is lovely, but not INSTEAD of sunrise.
Jul 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Good point about the warm clothes but I am a baby about being cold... A blanket might work.
I will look into the box lunch ideas.
Jul 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Elsiemoo- Thanks for clarifying the sunset/sunrise. I have seen many sunsets but no sunrises. I have heard that they are similar but it sounds like a sunrise should not be missed!
Jul 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM

How about a down vest you could squish up in a ziplock bag in the bottom of your suitcase? if you want to have something warmer to wear. I would not bother with a jacket as you don't need it any other time.

Search this Thread