Haleakala Crater Tour or Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave for Maui in the few weeks and we are debating whether to drive to the haleakala crater or take a tour trip. The main reason for pondering the tour is because we want to see the sunrise and both of us have terrible night vision and are worried about driving high elevation at 3 am when it is very dark. Has anyone taken the tour and is so how much does it cost? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:20 AM
bonniebroad

deltasig711, if you drive at night here at home (assuming mainland USA), with no problem, I wouldn't worry about driving Haleakala. You will be in a long string of cars going up the mountain, and it's no different than driving on a dark road in the mountains here except you'll have lots of company. The elevation did not bother us at all.......... it isn't THAT high, really, that it bothers most healthy people (at least I haven't talked to anyone that it's bothered.) JMHO.. happy planning!

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bonnie. Is the road well paved? We are staying in Wailea. Is 3 am the best time to leave to avoid too much crowding?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:59 AM
bonniebroad

deltasig711, yes, the road is paved and just fine! We drove from Wailea, and got up at 3 to throw clothes on and go. The concierge in your hotel can advise you of the best time to leave, what the weather forecast is (actually give you a number to call to check before you leave, to make sure you don't drive up and find it all fogged in.) We had plenty of time, leaving Wailea at 3. Have a wonderful time, and take hotel blanket to wrap up in, along with a thermos of something hot!

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Suggestion? Go for sunrise at Haleakala on the first morning after you arrive in Hawaii...take advantage of your jetlag for the early rise at 3:00 am! We left Kaanapali at 3 and were fine for sunrise. Have great time lapse photos of it too...very cool. The roads are very good, as many folks opt to do the gravity assisted biking down the mountain too.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

I am running into a problem. My travel partner is now insisting that we get a tour instead. I want to drive but she is insisting that we take the tour instead. Do y'all know of a good tour company that does the trip to the crater and isn't too expensive. I really appreciate the help.