Search

RMNP to Ouray

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:13 AM
colleen

RMNP to Ouray

We are planning to hike in Rocky Mountain Natl. Park the first week in Sept. and then
want to drive down to Ouray for more hiking.
What would be the best/most scenic route that wouldn't take more than a couple days. Also
appreciate advice re: hikes in Ouray area--we prefer day hikes, moderate to difficult, about 6-8 hours. Have done some internet searches but having difficulty finding info. on hikes (everything is about guided tours). We have our hikes planned in
RMNP. Thanks

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:33 AM
rqf

For a scenic ride take I-70 west to Exit 171. Take 24 south to 285 to rt. 50. Go west on rt. 50 to Montrose where you pick up rt. 550 to Ouray. About 10 miles east of Montrose is the Black CAnyon of the Gunnison National Park. You might find some interesting day hikes in that park.
I don't know of any specific hiking trails in Ouray but there are trails into the mountains the jeep tours follow. Had a friend who drove over the mountain from Telluride to Ouray in a rented jeep so I imagine it can be hiked.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:08 AM
travellyn

I don't have a map in front of me to give you highway numbers, but here's a slight variation: Grand Lake, to Leadville to Ouray.

The mountains just southwest of Leadville are wonderful for hiking; the Colorado Trail goes through there. It sounds like you might like tackling a couple of fourteeners.

Two books that may be helpful are the Colorado Trail handbook by Randy Jacobs, and Hiking Trails of Southwestern Colorado by Paul Pixler.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:08 AM
colleen

Thanks, rqf. We are interested in seeing the Black Canyon. We are staying in Ouray because Telluride seems a bit pricey. Would there be a more scenic place in the area to stay or an area closer to some good hiking?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
colleen

Actually, we are going to tackle Long's
Peak in RMNP. We don't really want to do anything else of that magnitude but are primarily looking for beauty. Would
it be too much of a push to go from RMNP
to Ouray in a day (of course, there wouldn't be time for hiking on the way)?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
travellyn

RMNP to Ouray is not too much of a push at all. It might be worth taking the faster route in that case. Ouray is remarkably scenic and as close as you'll get to good hiking. Silverton would be a great hiking base, but not as good for getting to the Black Canyon.

Don't judge other fourteeners by what you see at Long's Peak. It's well known for having queues at certain points. In the summer, most people start in the wee hours of the morning to be off the peak before thunderstorms hit. Early September won't be as bad, but it would be worth speaking to a ranger about recommemded times to begin the climb.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:50 PM
rjgarciattbi.com

Most good bookstores will have books on colorado fourteeners. As he earlier posts indicated, plan on doing longs peak on a full moon. Be on he trail well before sunrise to be at the keyhole before the crowds get too long.

You have to go over Red Mountain Pass south out of Ouray. Man! that is one narrow highway.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Connie

I've been all over the U.S. Rocky Mountains and Ouray is one of my favorite areas.

Ouray has a good website
www.ouray.com

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:46 PM
steve

For a wonderful site for Ouray, but also for Rome check out the following site. It was down for a while after Ed's death last year. I wish there were more sites like this:

tewnj.com (travelling with ed n julie)

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Colleen

Thanks for the good advice. I couldn't get ouray.com to work but twenj.com is great. Now I'm torn between staying in Ouray and Telluride but I guess I have plenty of time to decide. Do you think it is necessary to make reservations ahead of time being we are going in Sept?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:27 AM
travellyn

Between Telluride and Ouray, I'd choose Ouray. A B&B there would be probably help you get a better feel for the area than a hotel. I've stayed at a very comfortable B&B there, but can't remember the name. The town has several.

Telluride is beautiful, but a little depressing to me, because I know I could never afford to live there. Ouray seems like a more real place, if that makes sense.

Great month to visit! I would make reservations a month or so in advance, because September is a peak time for driving the roads to look at fall colors.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:44 AM
bly

Colleen:

Having hiked a good number of 14ers, with several books, I've found Gerry Roach's book to be the most helpful (for 14ers). While we didn't do any hiking in Ouray, we did a great trip through Durango. Take the Durango-Silverton train, get off halfway (with the other hikers) hike for a few hours and catch the return train later in the day. Most of those getting off are camping for a few days and hitting the 14ers accessible from Chicago Basin, but there were some day hikers as well.

Red Mountain Pass is spectacular that time of year. The drive from Durango as you enter Ouray is jaw droppingly beautiful.

RE 14ers: Start early, try to summit by noon and be back to treeline by 2pm. Bring lots of water or a purifier, and snacks. Dont bring a dog - saw a guy trying to carry (drag) 2 St. Bernards off of Mt. Harvard last summer.