COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Gulf Coast Living??

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Gulf Coast Living??

I am a white woman married to a black man with 2 interracial children. Hubby is in the navy and is being transferred to Gulfport MS in May 2006. I know that some areas of the south are still stuck in the past with regards to races mixed. Has anyone been to the gulf coast area before and if so, what did they notice or see when there? Also any good ideas on where to look for a place to live without fearing for our lives because of who we are and who we love? Any advise would be helpful. Oh and we are coming from Virginia Beach and have had no problems here.
I also know with the recent hurricane, that some areas in MS might not be built yet or fixed up yet for our arrival. We were thinking maybe Gulf coast AL or even Pensacola FL area, so any advice on these areas will help as well. Thanks a whole lot!

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Fairhope

From South Alabama--There are idiots wherever you might live so I'll pass on the race issue.
But Katrina has put you in a very difficult position for housing on the coast. Lots of people came up this way from SOUTH Florida and then we had our own hurricanes in P'cola and the Panhandle and now Katrina. I heard today that the local Catholic school will have 300 extra kids tomorrow

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:34 PM
OO

Actually, I didn't know the Navy had a presence in Gulfport. Pascagula, yes, but I thought that had been closed?

I just put the question to my DH, born and raised in southern MS and he thinks those days are gone on the Gulf coast--but he's been gone too for years and years and although his family remains, his knowledge is sort of...suspect, perhaps. (shh...I didn't say that )

I did want to say though, that Pensacola would be out of the question for a daily drive. No can do, way too far, although Navy there is big and attitudes as in Norfolk/Va Bch (where we also lived when he was in the Navy) differ from other areas of the state.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

There is a big Seabee battalion base in Gulfport and he will be working with them for security. I am kind of concerned that we are going to have the hardest time finding a place down that way thanks to Katrina! We are planning on a trip down that way in March or April so maybe we will get a better sense of things when we get there for a mini vacation. I am hoping with the Seabees there, that things will be rebuilt quickly, but you never know!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM

You normally might have had an opportunity for on-base housing at one of the military installations. Now, you will probably have to rent an apartment somewhere inland. Right on the coast and for half a mile or so inland, there is some amount of damage to almost all the housing. I would guess, from having spent quite a few years in the service myself, that you will just have to look around like everyone else. It is not likely that you will be in any danger in the sense that you seemed to express it, but you will find some non-military types who will simply not want to associate with you. That's OK, because people everywhere have their own standards and customs, and they can't be changed quickly. The majority of people you will encounter will not take a second look and will treat you the same as everyone else. I would also speculate that your children will have no problem whatsoever.

I would think your husband would be the one to inquire through his chain of command about the availability of housing, either on-base or off-base. If he hasn't done so, he should. Good luck.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM

lisalaw24 -

I was born and raised in central Mississippi, and I've made frequent trips to the Mississippi gulf coast. I think we've moved beyond that stereotype here. (As an earlier poster noted, though, there are idiots all across the great United States.) If I were you, I wouldn't let the race issue worry me.

Housing - this will probably be a problem. Gulfport is basically demolished. Since so many homes were destroyed, housing is at a premium. Apartments are full, and folks that are able to buy intact homes are often buying them sight unseen, just so they know they will have a place to live.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Anywhere there is a military base, the civilians are used to mixed race families. Of course, if your luck is bad, you might find a place to live right between two die hard bigots. But that could happen anywhere.

Your husband really needs to see if on base family housing is available. So much was destroyed along that area that it is going to be difficult to find something. If it isn't, maybe they can give him help in finding something off base. You may just have to take anything that comes along.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Please give Mississippians some credit--they, too, live in the U.S. and the 21st century. As noted earlier, one will be met with some type of prejudice any where in the world, but just because it's the deep south, to count on prejudice is unfair to a lot of good people.

And since they caught hell from Katrina, with far more damage than N.O. or most places, then I doubt they'll even notice skin color when they've lost their homes and don't even have a job to pay their bills because it, too, was literally washed away.

Maybe you would be wise to contact FEMA to see if they are helping with military housing--that may well be your only hope. Have you discussed this very important issue with the Navy? Surely, they are doing more for military families transferred to the Katrina destruction area than they perhaps have had to do in the past.

God bless!