GTNP - Schwabacher's Landing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've searched and searched and believe its no longer there.

I believe I found the road it SHOULD be on, but there is now a gate and no cars are allowed on that gravel road - only foot traffic. I walked as far as I felt comfortable (it was about dusk, and there were dark clouds and some thunder). Also, there is no longer a sign, but you can see where the sign should be.

I'm hoping the structure is still there, I'm just curious why they've blocked the road.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Closed -
JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Budget woes plaguing Grand Teton National Park are already being felt by select visitors this coming season. Numerous prospective brides and grooms have been sent scrambling after being informed all events scheduled for Schwabacher Landing, a popular site for wedding ceremonies, would be scrapped this summer due to sequestration cuts.

CUTLINE: Some brides are being left high-and-dry on their wedding plans in Grand Teton National Park. CREDIT: Katy Gray Photography (www.KatyGray.com)
CUTLINE: Some brides are being left high-and-dry on their wedding plans in Grand Teton National Park.
CREDIT: Katy Gray Photography (www.KatyGray.com)

Mary Gibson Scott on Monday identified several places officials would be scaling back — those savings opportunities included closing some of the more remote or lesser-used areas of the park, such as 20 campsites along Grassy Lake Road and the Schwabacher Landing area. The latter is a picturesque spot with a dead-on view of the Tetons. Park spokesperson Jackie Skaggs said regular trash pickup and bathroom service at Schwabacher was considered too costly to continue this season. The area will be closed all summer.

“This is the reality of it,” Skaggs said of the budget cuts. “It is painful for all of us.”

more at http://planetjh.com/2013/04/02/get-o...acher-landing/
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks Starr's. how/where did you find that?
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Google.
I started typing it in and it was autofilled with "closed". That was the second result in the list.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would not bother going there at dusk. I assume you want to photograph it.
I would go early in the morning before the sun is high and before the smoothness of the stream is gone.

Its a bummer that they closed it off. All you need is the location. No structures.

I drove down the dirt road I think less than a half mile until we were at the snake river level. We parked and walked over to the banks of the stream until we could see the reflection of the mountains in the stream. You dont need any pier, etc.

You can see my photos of it at: www.travelwalks.com
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM

I forgot to mention that mormon row barns is (are) about 5 minutes from there.

Just below (south) and on the east side of the road.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Myers, I was confused and thought Schwabacher's also had a barn. I had already shot Mormon Row and this was still to be done. I'm happy with what pics I do get because I don't do mornings well at all.

I got quite a few good reflection pics at Oxbow Bend
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Oxbow bend is also very nice. Early morning and early evening.

Are your photos posted anywhere.

I will be back home in a week. I'd like to see them.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:42 AM

thanks for the update; we're making our photo/hiking list now for our visit to GT at the end of this week.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Hikrchick - you can most definitely go to Schwabacher's Landing, but you cannot park your car at the gate, and you'll obviously have to hike/walk down. I don't recall a nearby pullout that you could use to park. Remember too that they've taken the sign down, but the structure where the sign hung is still standing.

Good luck and have fun