Search

Grub in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Sarah

Grub in Houston

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Houston, TX?

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Gee

Hey Sarah,

What kind of food are you interested in?
I lived many years in Houston. The city does have good eating places,and entertainment, other than that, it's really dirty, full of smog and lots of trash!! I now live in WA state where the air is fresh, area is clean and great cool weather. When are you planning to go to Houston? It's also called armpit, because it's hot and humid. E-mail me!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 10:37 AM
Robyn

Ouch! That last reply hurts! Washington is certainly beautiful, but Houston is nice too! Anyway, Houston is my hometown and there are plenty of delicious places to eat. I do not have the telephone numbers but you can call information and ask for.... (The) Daily Review (southwestern), Ruggles (on Westheimer), Cafe Annie's (tres expensive, but wonderful - on Post Oak), James Coney Island (a Houston tradition - serves hot dogs. I hate hot dogs, but these are wonderful!), Irma's for mexican food, and Epicure in River Oaks (good cafe). Please write if you have any more questions. Zagat.com has a Houston listing and has great recommendations. Have fun - Houston is a great city - and we are proud of our horrible weather!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 11:37 AM
Sarah

Robyn,
Thanks for your input. I am coming to Houston to see the exhibition on China at the Houston Fine Art Museum. I am staying near the Galleria area. What restaurants would you recommend that are a bit upscale?

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Robyn

That's a great area to stay in - where I grew up! Anyway, Cafe Annie's and Tony's (Continental/Southwestern)are right on Post Oak blvd - very upscale and expensive, but delicious. Post Oak Grill is on the same street and good but not quite as posh. Ruggles (southwestern)is smart casual and upscale on Westheimer about 10 minutes from the Galleria - one of my favorites. La Griglia has good seafood, is trendy and noisy and about 10 minutes from the Galleria on Waugh (I believe). But if you want to go a 'bit' upscale I would get reservations at The Daily Review or Ruggles - both about 10 minutes away. All of them are great with giving directions.

The museum is going to look great! I am going down there for the opening and I hear it is going to be fantastic. Houston has great entertainment (much better than Dallas, where I live now), friendly folks and it quite pretty (for Texas) if you stick with the Galleria, Memorial, Rice area! Downtown is experiencing great rejuvination with a wonderful bayou walk, restaurants, bars and a ornate movie theatre. Write if you need anything else. R

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Sarah

Robyn,
Wow, thanks for all of the great tips. I am sure I will darken the doorsteps of some of those places. I will let you know upon my return.
Thanks again,
S

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Eileen

Hey everyone, if she's in the Galleria area, how could you forget my favorite...America's on Post Oak!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Gee

Houston is my hometown too and it is true that the air smells, it's dirty and humid!! Yes, there are good places to eat, but how do you know they are clean? Sad to say the Mayor does not care about doing anything to keep the city clean.
How can anyone be proud of a city that is rated high with smog and the streets are full of trash??? Glad to be out of there!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 02:19 PM
DHW

Hi Sarah! Welcome to Houston!
Unfortunately, you did not mention when exactly you were comming. The China exhibit will be going on for a while. If you will be near the museum area, I recommend La Strada (fusion Italian), La Mora (upscale Mexican), La Mexicana (very authentic Mexican) and Ruggles Grill(fusion)- all of which around the corner from the museum. The other restaurants suggested are wonderful as well!
Houston has incredible restaurants, and I've read that we eat out per captia 4 days out of each week.

Incidently, our weather is a fabulous 76-80 degrees during the time you will be visiting, so ignore those horrible things you've read, and come hungry!

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Sarah

DHW,
I will be in Houston the weekend of March 24th. Oh come on Gee, Houston can't be that bad. Are you trying to say the humidity will make for a bad coif day?! At any rate, thanks to all of you for your comments. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know which grub spots I hit.

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Diane

I was just there last month and it was GORGEOUS...and I ate a fabulous meal at America's on Post Oak. The decor is over the top and the food is extraordinary. It is pretty pricey...

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:21 AM
Sarah

Hi Diane,
How pricy? Do you mind me asking?
S

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Sarah

How about "pricey"

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Diane

I was on an expense account dinner with colleagues, and they picked up the check...However, if you know you are going to get a wonderful meal, the price isn't as important to you. It's when you pay $40 per person and feel like you've received mediocre food that you get upset. I'd say $40-50 per person with appetiser, entree, wine, dessert and coffee. For dessert, be sure to order their special "white cream cake(?)" It beat out the fancy chocolate number by a landslide in my group.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Diane

Maybe up that to about $60-65 depending on the bottle(s) of wine!

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 08:07 AM
dolly

having eaten our way thru Houston.. if i could only choose one place, it would always be Cafe Anniesfor Southwestern, magnificent, expensive food, ask to sit in the middle!

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Sarah

I was in Houston over the weekend and had some wonderful food. I had dinner at the Americas and Mark's, both outstanding. I must say, I did not find the city dirty, smoggy, or trashy. Perhaps it's worse in the summer. Houston would not be my choice of places to live, but the visist was very pleasant. Thanks again to all for your grub input!

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Beth

Houston is a fabulous restaurant city. I was glad to see someone recommend Mark's. Masraff's is another excellent, upscale restaurant in the Galerria area. Sierra's on Montrose is one of my favorites as is Vallones on Kirby.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Linda

My recommendations are south of Houston in Seabrook & Galveston--because you should go see NASA (about 20 minutes south on I-45). Take the NASA 1 exit & go the Space Center. Then, continue on NASA 1 until you get to the last light & turn right on Texas Rt. 3. Turn left before crossing the bridge & you will see Pier 8 on the water. It is $9.99 all you can eat & you pick the raw seafood you want (fish, shrimp, scallops, crab, etc) the noodles & vegatables & sauce. While they take your plate & stirfry it, you can eat steamed crab & shrimp, oysters on the half-shell, seafood gumbo & salad.
In Galveston, Guido's is the traditional place & it is good. Also, just as you go across the causeway, take Teichlemann Road behind the Galveston Daily News & go to Clary's for excellent seafood.