Reload this Page >

San Francisco/Yosemite

Search

San Francisco/Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Elaine

San Francisco/Yosemite

My husband and I are planning a trip to Yosemite in mid-September. We will probably be flying into San Francisco and then driving to the park.

Welcome any recommendations on where to stay, or what to do in and around the park. This is our first visit out west.

Thanks, Elaine

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Triple-O

For a splurge, try the Ahwanhee Lodge. Otherwise, go with Yosemite Lodge. It's best in Yosemite to stay in the valley.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
sonia

We did just that trip 5 years ago, and loved it (also in mid-September, lovely clear weather).

We spent a few days in SF then rented a car and drove to Yosemite. We splurged on a stay at the Ahwahnee, which is a very notable historic National Park hotel -- you need to plan ahead to get a room. It's nothing like staying at the Four Seasons, but great location and a fascinating building -- massive fireplaces, tall windows overlooking spectacular scenery. Very memorable. And because you're right in the valley, you can use the park shuttle etc. to get to trails you want to hike, or sights to see. There's even a nice pool as I remember. Food was better than some other NatPark hotels we visited. We'd go again in a heartbeat.

If you're on a budget, outside the park is probably cheaper but then you have to schlep to and fro.

I spent a lot of time researching the trip (which I love to do). The Nat. Park service has a lot of helpful info available -- Yosemite is spectacular, so much to see. We were there for 3 days, wished it was longer.

Happy trails!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:27 PM
aj

Elaine,

Flying into San Jose International Airport (SJC) would make much more sense being that it is closer to Yosemite than San Francisco Airport. Flying into SJC will cut out at least 1-1.5 hours of driving time. In addition, San Francisco is known for its many delays. Check out www.yosemitepark.com for information on Yosemite Park. www.sanjose.org or www.sjc.org can give you information on the City or the airport. I agree that the Ahwahnee Hotel is a great property. The Yosemite Lodge is also vary nice and a little more resonable in price. There are several great tours of Yosemite that I would recommend. The Glacier Point bus tour is a must, along with a walk to the base of Yosemite Falls. Make your reservations early, even though you are not going during peak season.
By the way, based on your email address, are you coming from New Orleans? If so, Southwest Airlines usually has great deals to SJC. Southwest ceased all operations at San Francisco Airport due to the delays.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
aj

Elaine,

Flying into San Jose International Airport (SJC) would make much more sense being that it is closer to Yosemite than San Francisco Airport. Flying into SJC will cut out at least 1-1.5 hours of driving time. In addition, San Francisco is known for its many delays. Check out www.yosemitepark.com for information on Yosemite Park. www.sanjose.org or www.sjc.org can give you information on the City or the airport. I agree that the Ahwahnee Hotel is a great property. The Yosemite Lodge is also vary nice and a little more resonable in price. There are several great tours of Yosemite that I would recommend. The Glacier Point bus tour is a must, along with a walk to the base of Yosemite Falls. Make your reservations early, even though you are not going during peak season.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Bob

Ditto on the recomendation to use San Jose Airport if you do not need to get too close to San Francisco. SJC much better.

If you don't mind staying a little out of the park THE REDWOODS cabins in Wawona are nice. You can rent a cabin of any size and they come with kitchen, fireplaces and located in the woods. We have done them twice and enjoy them and we also stay a 5 star hotels on our trips also so we are picky on accomodations. Phone is 209-375-6666.

If you do not stay at the Ahwanhee, at least eat there in the main room. It is very nice. Queen Elizabeth visted the West Coast in 1983 and requested a stay at the Ahwanhee as part of her trip. Nuff said.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Tony

If you are just going to Yosemite, you might want to consider flying into Sacramento. It is closer to the park than either S.F. or San Jose. In addition, the rental car rates are often cheaper in Sacramento than S.F.