Reload this Page >

Grocery stores in Times Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:24 PM
aaaa

This may seem like a silly quesion. Are there any grocery stores in the Times Square area? We are visiting NYC and staying in that area. We hope to purchase bottled water, fruit, snacks etc. and not pay outrageous prices.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:17 PM
thereuare

Welcome to NYC, where "outrageous" is a relative term.

I can't think of any supermarkets in the immediate area, but there are tons of "bodegas" (ie- corner groceries) to buy the items you're looking for. Expect to pay ~1.25 for a snapple or bottled water, .85 for candy, etc.

You'd be surprised, the supermarkets in NYC aren't much cheaper than the bodegas for the items that you're looking for... either way, it'll be MUCH cheaper than buying from your hotel.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Tom Morse

We like the Belly Delli just north on broadway from the crowne plaza. They have a really good selection of buffet items that they package for take out (room). It saves a lot compared to restaurants. For items like drinks (soda, water, etc) we go to a grocery on 9th ave. a few blocks (maybe 4 or 5 blocks) south on the west side of the street. Forgot the name. The prices are very good.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Owen O'Neill

Try the Food Emporium at 452 W. 43rd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues - I think the entrance may actually be on the corner but can't recall which corner. It's a "regular" grocery chain as opposed to the small independent stores and the so-called "gourmet" groceries. Be wary of the buffet food sold by the pound - it'd often cheaper to just eat out at a decent ethnic restaurant. reaturants tend to be a bit overpriced in Times Square but get out to 9th and 10th Avenues and you'll find an abundance of moderately priced selections including Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and falafel joints. In many case you will find good fruit at reasonable prioces from street vendors all over the city but the other items will be cheaper at a grocery chain.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:32 AM
rqf

Nothing I can think of on Broadway from 42nd Street to around 50th Street. There are some located in the 50's on Broadway. Will also find small "grocery" stores on 6th and 8th Avenues from the 40's to the 60's. Things like bottle water, some grocery items and packaged snacks (trail mix, nuts, candy, etc) can be purchased in Duane Reade Drug stores. There is one on 42nd and 8th and another at 50th and Broadway. Their prices would probably be lower than the small convenience stores located in the area.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:06 AM
chloe

I don't know how far this is from where you are staying, but there is a Food Emporium on the corner of 50th St. and 8th Ave.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Philip

Go to Duane Reade at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue. This chanin is one of the cheapest in the city. They are a drugstore that carries a lot of food items like water, soda, candy, power bars, etc.

If you are looking for fruit, you should buy from one of the small corner groceries that have the fruit displayed on the street. For some reason, in my opinion, the chain grocery stores do not have good fruit.