Reload this Page >

Grocery Store Observations, West vs East Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:27 AM
jimmie

A friend told me that I wouldn't like Oscar Meyer Weiners on the west coast because "theyre just different". And boy was he right! They're AWFUL! Why do they taste different on the west coast? If they come from a different factory, don't they use the same recipe?

I think I've got this straight: It's Dreyers on the West Coast, Edy's on the East Coast, and Breyers on both coasts, but Breyers is $3.99 back east and $5.29 out west. Hellmans on the east coast, and Best Foods on the west coast, but it's just the same product with a different name. Or is it Kraft that is Best Foods?

I noticed that WISK detergent is in 80 oz containers on the west coast. On the east coast we get 100 oz for the same price! (side note: why is detergent so damn expensive?)

And potato chips, don't get me started on those! Back east you can still get an 8 ounce bag. In the west, the bags look exactly the same but they only have 6.5 or even 5.5 ounces of chips!

Oh, and it's Krogers in the east, but Ralph's in the west, same chain with a different name, right?

I think I'm starting to catch on.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Cat

Wow! How soon will you be publishing this?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Susan

I was amazed when reading the post about bringing food to NYC -- someone said you can buy a six pack of soda there for $3 or $4.

Here in Chicago I won't buy a 24 pack if it's not $4.99 or better!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Root

I get my rootbeer and diet cokes for $1.25 per six pack on sale at the local supermarket in Los Angeles.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:06 AM
norma

In Las Vegas you can get a case of soda for $8 on sale during holiday periods, $9 to $10 otherwise. All the grocery stores have their own discount cards to use to get the discount except Albertsons and Raley's. Bryer's is an East coast corp which has to be shipped cross country- that's why it costs so much more - and you don't see it that often. However 99 cent stores sell the yogurt 3 for 99. I really miss the tastycake products from east. They aren't carried here as they spoil by the time they arrive = (

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:21 AM
kam

But the price and quality of produce is fantastic on the West coast! It's Hellmans=Best mayo. And, does anyone in the bay area know where to get Heinz yellow mustard? As a former Chicagoan, I don't notice much difference in the Oscar Meyer BEEF hot dogs--maybe you'd be happier with them.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:27 PM
CF

Here in Ohio I get put out if I have to pay more than 99 cents for a six pack of Diet Coke. Two liter bottles can be as low as 69 cents if they are having a promotion.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Tina

Oh but the year round delicious fruit out West. I'm now living in the East and good, inexpensive fresh fruit all year round is what I miss the most.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 02:01 PM
west

West Coast: Just paid $0.79 for an avocado (normally get them for free from friend's yard), 6 ears of sweet corn for $1.00 and can pick oranges from my own tree. We have it made for fruit and veggies!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
kbs

Milk prices in NY (upstate): $1.79 gallon, but go into "farm country" in the midwest, and it's over $3 gallon in the stores!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:14 PM
peabo

To Norma who misses Tastycakes--send me your real name and I'll send you some.OK?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:33 PM
joesorce

Hey norma...they got Tastycakes in Los Angeles recently so they must be baking them out west now. Maybe they'll be in Vegas before too long.
Any idea what happened to "Vegas Chips" potato chips? Used to get them a few years ago whenever we were in town, but they disappeared a year or two ago. They were all the rage for a while, with a factory tour and online ordering.

How about Double Coupons? Still got those in Vegas. In Los Angeles they still double them at Ralphs and at Vons (one coupon limit per item).

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
norma

Thanks so much for the offer Peabo! How kind! I'll be going to visit my folks back in PA at the end of this month - I'm going to stuff myself with lemon pies! Gotta get there before the weather cools down = )
Joe, when I was in San Francisco a few years ago I saw the infamous "lemon pies" and was elated! But when I ate one they were terribly spoiled. The salesclerk told me she sticks them in the microwave - didn't sound too tempting to me. We still get the crumpets & PB cakes but it's not the same = )
Anyhoo, Vons & Smith's stopped doubling coupons about 2 yrs. ago = ( , and there aren't any Ralph's near me but Walgreen's are turning up on just about every corner! I vaguely remember the Vegas chips - have been here about 10 yrs.- now they sell an east coast (maui style) chip.
It scares me how much I know about groceries! hee hee That's what happens when you're an old househag! ; )

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:06 PM
norma

I was referring to myself not any of you nice folks of course! :-0

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
mare

Househag or not, it pays to know your stuff when it comes to groceries. That's why these markets have come up with "membership cards". Used to be that markets had sales every week. For instance, coffee would be marked down from $3.59 to $1.99. But the markets noticed that there are a lot of dummies out there who will just pay any amount for anything without even blinking. So why give them the sale price, right? They would have bought the coffee whether it was $1.99 or $3.59. Or $5.99 for that matter.

So, the markets have these membership cards, where the discounts are only given to people who swipe their cards. This way, the fools that don't care about prices are still paying up-the-ying-yang, while the rest of us get those sale prices that bring us into the store.

You can really get ripped off when traveling if you don't have a swipe card for the local market. Who wants to sign up for a club if you're just at the market once while on vacation. So you grin and bear it.
But yikes, some of those prices are doubled or HIGHER! A twelve pack of coke can be $2.29 with the club card, and $4.99 without! It really adds up if you don't have the card.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
me

Hey, much of NY is also farm land, this state is not one big city. I live in the midst of a zillion farms and over the past few years has ranges from 1.70-2.50.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:14 PM
What about

In the North vs in the South? We live in AR but travel yearly to NY. Better prices in the South...NO. Better quality in the North...NO. Variety everywhere..yes. Milk here varies store to store, but rarely under $2, and usually $3, we don't buy Oscar anything here...way to pricey...Not that we cannot afford it but $3.99 for hotdogs is ridiculous.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:38 PM
auntbea

Can't find Friends Baked Beans around here, do they have them in YOUR neck of the woods? If so I may have to take a trip.
Also can't find the brown bread in a can.

Out here if you know your prices, you can get free stuff. Every time an item "scans" with the incorrect price, it's free. Got a $12.99 bag of dog food for nothing last week! They didn't want to give it to me, but I just pointed to their little "accu-price" sign!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Betsy

I'm not so sure, Mare. Here's a current "deal" at Pak'n Save (Safeway) in the San Francisco Bay Area: Butter has been priced at two pounds for $5.00 for eons. So this week the ad for butter is "buy one, get one free" (with membership card). Great, you say...I can get two pounds of butter for $2.50! But oh no, butter has now been marked up to $3.89 per pound, so you get two pounds for $3.89. Don't let those club cards fool ya!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 08:46 PM
aunt bea

Well, 2 for $3.89 is still better than 2 for $5.00, so the card still helps doesn't it?

Speaking of those dreaded "two-fers", I notice the markets are often pricing things 2 for $5 these days, or 3 for $4.98 etc. In this area, it is illegal for a market to force you to buy two items in order to get the sale price. I see lots of people buying 2 ice creams because they're 2 for $5, but you don't have to buy two. If you buy one, you get it for $2.50. Apparently in some states this is not the case and you have to buy two in order to get the special price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -