Green Sand Beach on BI Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read a response from travelguy120 to a question posted Hawaii 411 regarding hiking to the green sand beach on the Big Island. Could you give more information such as how far is the beach from the road and is the hike very strenuous? We attemted to get there the last time we were there, but did not have a 4 wheel drive and decided it was not a good idea. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:53 PM

According to the Blue Book: 2 1/4 mile walk both ways - flat grassy plains - very windy.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM

The length depends on where you start. A common mistake for first timers is to start at the very end of South Point Rd. Doing so adds almost a mile each way to the hike.

Instead, start at the wide dirt trail that heads east off South Point Rd, about 3/8 of a mile before the road ends. From this point, 2 1/4 miles to the green sand beach sounds about right.

The terrain is relatively flat and easy to walk, but be sure to bring water and sunscreen. No facilities (or shade) are available in the area. Also be sure to NOT lock your rental vehicle, as break-ins are common here. Don't leave valuables in the car, glove box or trunk.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Just let me add a note of warning. We were on the BI in February, and hiked out to Green Sand Beach. It's about a 2 1/2 mile hike each way. The hike is nice, the scenery beautiful, and by all means...walk all the way over to the far side and walk down the dune to the beach. Don't try to climb down the rocks (as we saw a tour guide taking some older tourists)

But- please be careful where you park your car. When we got back, our car, and three others had their windows smashed in and all our belongings stolen. Luckily for us the police had a good idea who took the stuff and we got most of it back within 48 hours. (Bless the Ka'u police dept.!) But it was quite a hassle...
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM

We planned on doing the hike (but got obsessed with Kilauea instead and wound up hiking 16 miles there), but these were the two main tips I heard prior:

1) WEAR SUNSCREEN. Flat, open land = fast sunburn.

2) If possible, take everything with you and leave your car doors unlocked. We used this advice the entire trip and had no problems, even in high-risk parking areas.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information and tips! I think we will do it! Linda
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM

All good info here, just to chip in and suggest you start early in the am ... and you might have the beach to yourselves for a time. The green sand felt like velvet under my feet. It was one of the best activities we did in our 10 days on the BI. Suggest you have lunch at Simple Good Food - Na'alehu (look for the turtle on the roof -- wished I took a picture of that!

The hike is not strenuous but it is long and tougher going there because you are heading straight into the prevailing tradewinds. There is blowing sand which can etch camera lenses/glasses. I was not in tip top shape but take a rest when needed .. I made it and take in the view at the top and look down at that beautiful turquoise water and lovely green beach.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM

If I do this again, I'll be renting a 4-wheel drive! Whew!!! But worth it!