Great Long Weekend in Sedona

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I did a quick trip to Sedona. Drove in from CA afterwork and was surprised how quickly we got to Phoenix. Continued driving to Camp Verde area and stayed at the Best Western. It was clean and perfect for overnight. They have a surprisingly good free breakfast and the staff was pleasent. Got up and drove up to Jerome, we were there at 9:00 am and not much was happening yet but it was a neat old ghost town/art town. Drove over to Montezuma's Castle and got there before a lot of the busses arrived. It was a neat place and it was kind of moving to see the elaborate cliff dwellings of ancient people. On to Sedona and our Hotel L'Auberge. Great Hotel!!! The service was top notch without being snooty. Loved our little cottage and we just sat on the deck and had a cocktail and unwinded for a bit. We brought our mountain bikes and headed out to get some late lunch, ended up at the Oak Creek Brewery yummy lunch and good local beers. Shopped and explored the Tlaquepaque area. Relaxed at the hotel down by the river and watched the ducks for a while. The hotel hosted a star gazing event with telescopes and an interesting guys talking about starts. Enjoyed that a lot!

Next morning got up walked next door to the Amara hotel and had a nice breakfast outside. Loaded the bikes into the truck and headed up the canyon for some sightseeing. Stopped and looked at the indian artists and onto Slide Rock St Park. It is worth the $10 entrance fee. Again we arrived before most of the people but it filled up fast. The spring time water seemed too cold for me but my hubby had a blast on the natural waterslide. It was fun to people watch there. Headed back to Uptown Sedona and ate lunch at the Cowboy Grill. Another really good meal and loved the Prickly Pear Margaritas! Got the bikes out at Bell Rock and rode the trail there. I am a decent bike rider but have never tried riding off pavement. Learned a good lesson about riding a rocky downhill! "Took a digger" and brought home some extra bruises and a dusty butt but was otherwise ok, it was worth it to see the views. Back to the hotel to clean up and get ready for our Pink Jeep Tour. Saw the great reviews for the Broken Arrow Tour and was not dissappointed! Driver Mike was great and entertaining. The ride had a great mix of white knuckles and photo ops. I would recomend it to anyone. Finally had dinner in town at a mexican restaurant name Ox-something, pretty balcony views with a warm breeze. Being from CA I have had better mexican food, but this was just fine, typical Mexican dinner. I enjoyed my Carne Asada. Got back to my lovely hotel and slept like a rock. The hotel is soooo relaxing, loved waking up to the bird singing. My only complaint about L"Auberge is that their food and drinks are really pricey. We planned on dinner by the river but it looked like you could get out of there without spending $60-$70, and one margarita was $14, so we opted to into town. Totally walkable from the hotel.

Last morning ate breakfast at Taos, they a a very affordable buffet , but I am not a breakfast person really, so I am easily pleased, but it was good. Then we headed home. Can't wait to go back!

My tips are, bring a bike, its a fun way to get around town. Leave the high heals at home and bring sandals and sneekers, town is small but you are going to want to see it. Bring a good sun hat! The sun is more intense at the altitude of Sedona. ENJOY!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed your weekend.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:39 AM

OCdogsmom:
Thank you for your Trip Report. Just out of curiosity do you know if the star gazing @ the hotel you stayed is for guests only or can one pay to go see it, we are staying at The Ridge on Sedona and would love to see this.
Gina
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:53 AM

OCdogsmom:
Thank you for your Trip Report. Just out of curiosity do you know if the star gazing @ the hotel you stayed is for guests only or can one pay to go see it, we are staying at The Ridge on Sedona and would love to see this.
Gina
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Good, down to earth review! We're going to Sedona in June,and I was wondering what shoes to pack! Glad to hear nothing fancy is needed!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

The stargazing was just out in the parking lot of the hotel, there was no sign up or anything so I think all are welcome. Looked like they did it on Friday nights. Check the L'Auberge website calendar. The walk along the river and feeding the ducks is really pretty and fun too.

I am a jeans girl and while I saw some pretty dressed up women, I never felt underdressed being really casual.