Grang Teton National Park Lodging-

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grang Teton National Park Lodging-

Hi all, I've made my reservations at Yelowstone, and now need to work on GTNP. I figure that I'll stay someplace in Jackson on the first and last nights of our trip because it's close to the airport, and we have a long day of travel from S. Florida, but I think that I'd like to stay somewhere in GTNP for the 3 nights in between. I can't spend lots os cash on lodging so I'm looking for someplace moderatly priced. I looked at Signal Mountain Lodge, Flagg Ranch Resort, Dornans Spur Ranch Cabins, and Colter Bay Cabins. Is there any place else anyone can suggest, and does anyone have any feedback regarding these places? Are any of them situated in better places than others? We will be coming from Yellowstone, and staying @ Yellowstone Lake Lodge, Mammoth Hot Springs, and Old Faithful.I really appriciate all your help.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since the GTNP is probably closer to the airport than the town of Jackson is (and will leave further away from the park), it seems silly to stay in Jackson your first night. Go right to accommodations in the park, and I recommend Signal Mountain.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, obviously, that parenthetical comment should have read, "and will leave YOU further from the park."
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Do you think that we should spend any time lodging in Jackson, or skip it and drive there if we want to shop etc.?How close is GTNP from the airport? How close is Jackson? We are planning to fly in from Fl., and spend one night in the area (only because we will be too beat to drive to Yellowstone at that point) , get up early the next day, drive to Yellowstone, spend 6 days there, return to GTNP, spend 4 days there, then return to Fl.What do you think. We also thought that we'd load up on food and a cooler when we got there to bring to Yellowstone so we don't have to buy everything inside the park.Any thoughts?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What time do you arrive at the Jackson Airport? IF it's not that late, then my advice would be to drive directly to Yellowstone. You're likely to have less traffic and night than you would encounter the following morning.
To answer one of your questions, Jackson is about 10 miles from the airport (in the opposite direction from both GTNP and YMP). I forget the actual distance from the airport to the Teton, but it's not that far and can easily be covered in much less than an hour.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay in Jackson the first night as you planned. Jackson is very nice with lots of services and accomodations and it's only about 10 min from the airport and 15 min from the park entrance. Driving in Yellowstone at night is a white knuckle experience between the curves and all of the animals in the road. Herds of buffalo will literally run out of nowhere right in front of your car! We stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge in GTNP. The views were beautiful, but for what it's worth, it's pretty much an older motel. I'm generally an advocate of staying in the parks to cut down on drive times, but GTNP is relatively small and this is not as much a consideration here as it is in Yellowstone.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to disagree with OnVacation about staying in Jackson the first night. Based on what the OP wrote, he/she would be tired and thus unlikely to spend much time enjoying the pleasures of Jackson before leaving (in the OP's words) after they "get up early" the next morning. Thus, what's point of driving in the opposite direction of their destination, when they can just as easily stay in GTNP which is not much further from the airport and is in the right direction.
However, with a 10-day vacation planning, you can certainly build in a night or two in Jackson, perhaps at the end of your vacation.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stayed in the cottage rooms at Jackson Lake Lodge several times. I believe the rooms are around $180 a night for a Comfort Inn type of room. Overall, I have been happy with the location.

I love spending the evening in the main lodge. There is a large floor to ceiling window with amazing views of the Tetons and the lake. Usually there is a ranger out on the terrace helping visitors spot moose popping in and out of the willows. There are also nightly ranger programs on the main floor of the lodge.

I always bring a full cooler to Yellowstone. It is nice to have everything handy for a picnic and for those times when you are tired of the park dining options.

Jackson is a fun little town and you definitely have time for a night of two. Two of my favorite restaurants in Jackson are The Bunnery, if you want a BIG breakfast and Sweetwater.

With a total of 10 days you may want to add in a trip over the Beartooth Pass and a visit to the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we stayed at Signal Mt Lodge 2 yrs ago (family of 5, three teens) and really enjoyed it. Yes, the rooms are dated/not fancy but we had our own cabin, room to play board game at nite, sit and read. right on the lake, kids could swim, we rented a boat-- also there is Sig Mt cafe, right there, a convenient, nice place to eat. We like to stay IN the parks, not drive for a "nicer" room.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have stayed at Dornan's Spur Ranch Cabins. They are fantastic! We had a one bedroom: new, clean,private,nicely furnished and like having your own place, verses walking down the hallway in a hotel. Plus, we could see the Tetons right out our windows. Great location too, because we snowshoed right out our door! You can walk right down to the Snake River, or over to Dornan's for some food or drinks. They have an outside deck that faces the mountains and river, and often you will see bald eagles flying by. Jackson is one of our favorite towns, and only about 10 minutes away. Be sure to eat at the Gun & Barrel!!
Karn
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Miami and have made this exact trip twice before. The first trip we stayed in Jackson at Spring Creek ranch for two nights before heading off to yellowstone. For the second trip we drove straight to Yellowstone (Old Faithful Snow Lodge) after flying in to Jackson. We were exhausted and cranky after the very, very long travel day.

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely spend one night in Jackson. It's a long travel day from South Florida. You could stock up on supplies at Albertson's while in Jackson and head out well rested the next day.

I would not spend the last night in Jackson. Instead I would stay in Grand Teton National Park to maximize your time in the park. That's what we did twice and the drive is really easy to the airport.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teton Village is a group of condos about a mile from entrance to GTNP. They rent by the night, but have housekeepingonly a few times/week if you are staying longer. We got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen, balcony with great views, and a moose that ate the landscaping during a rainstorm. There is a tram lift to top of ski mountain which reportedly has wonderful views - it was too foggy when we were there to verify.

Price was not much more than a hotel room and had advantage of kitchen so we could store and pack lunches for day trips into Park - we stayed 3 nights, including night of arrival (about 20 minutes from airport).
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we really liked jackson lake lodge....incredible views...a few trails...rafting trips and horse/trail rides. the cabins were (sept 2006) less than $100 per. we didn't have reservations....we were walk-ins. still, i can't imagine spending 3 nights there....it's just a little too isolated.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We loved Signal Mtn. Had a small cabin for the 2 of us w/ gas fireplace. The location is perfect, right on the lake. The dining on site was excellent. It is very accessible to Oxbow Bend where we saw many moose.
We also spent 6 nights in YNP during this trip and enjoyed every second. Moving to different parts of the park is great - be sure to drive out past Fishing Bridge along Lake Yellowstone to look for grizzly. We had great luck seeing wildlife - bring binoculars and a spotting scope, if you can.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We loved Signal Mountain also. We had the cabin with a gas fireplace. It was our own private, romantic chunk of heaven. The views are stunning, and the restaurants on site are excellent. We enjoyed ordering ahead, then taking out and eating on our small patio, too. Be sure to take the drive up to Signal Mtn to see the sunset. If you have a 4 wheel vehicle, try the unpaved drive along the Snake River. We saw several elk herds and moose not visible from the highway.