Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs: Best scenic route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the map, the most direct route from GJ to GS is I-70, and on my map it's dotted as a scenic highway.

However, if we went GJ to Delta, up Hwy. 133 to GS, would that be more desirable (i.e. more scenic)? We've got a whole day to do it (possibly a couple hours in Gunnison Park?).

Trip is planned for late September--I'm assuming roads will be open then?

Thanks for all your help. Trip planning can be exhausting, but this board is very informative.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 05:02 AM

roads should be ok, if there is a freak snow storm it likely wouldn't affect you too much. i have done both routes and enjoyed both. Gunnison is beautiful and different because of the color of the rock, not your typical sw colors. if you have all day take the longer scenic route. it's worth it, very pretty part of colorado.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:48 AM
MaureenB

With all day, I'd take the southern 'scenic' route, too. I don't know if there's much to see between Grand Junction and Rifle on I-70, but I could be wrong.
The towns on the southern route-- Delta, Montrose (the Uncompaghre Plateau near there is pretty), Gunnison (maybe make a quick trip up to Crested Butte or the Black Canyon)-- are less developed and surrounded by gorgeous scenery.
Check Colorado Dept of Transportation regarding construction in Glenwood Canyon, if you leave that way. A huge rock slide made a ton of restorative work there (literally!).

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I think kopp meant through Delta to 92, then 133 through Redstone and Carbondale to Glenwood Springs. I also would like to know if it's more scenic. I guess you could also go up over Grand Mesa on 65.

I enjoy driving 70 - I guess any route in Colorado is outstanding.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes, senior, that is the route I had planned. Just didn't give all the numbers. It looks like a smaller road than I-70, so that was my concern. Sometimes on the big freeways, we whiz by so fast that we miss all the scenery, especially the photo ops.

And thanks, Maureen, about the info on the rock slide. I'll definitely check into that.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I would also recommend seniors suggestion of driving over Grand Mesa on 65 and then heading north on 133 through Paonia and Redstone. If you have the time and the weather is good, I think it is preferable to I-70.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM

As a resident of the GJ area, I would recommend the southern route, traveling on US-50 past Montrose and turn on CO 92 at Blue Mesa Reservoir, about half way to Gunnison. The oakbrush, and aspen trees along that stretch of road will be changing colors and are very pretty. Although the road is a little curvy, it is well worth the trip. At Hotchkiss, turn onto 133 through Redstone. Most of this route is absolutely beautiful scenery, but it will take most of the day, so start fairly early. Also, Glenwood Canyon is on the eastern side of GS and you wouldn't go through it on the route from GJ to GS. I would recommend the drive through the canyon on another day though, if you have a little time and want to see a gorgeous canyon that has been carved by the Colorado River. You might even get to see some mountain sheep feeding along side the road. As has been said before, you really can't go wrong on any of the roads in Colorado, even I-70. Bald eagles are often seen in the trees along the route on I-70 between GJ & GS. Enjoy your time in our wonderful state!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Kopp,

Definately skip the I-70 route. ( I live along it at Palisade) There really isn't much to see along it. My route selection would be Hwy 50 to Delta. Then east on hwy 92 to Hotchkiss. From there I would head towards Crawford and then spend a few hours on the North side (not the Montrose side) of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. That will be your most scenic moment along this route. From there backtrack about 30 minutes back to Hotchkiss and turn on hwy 133 and head towards Glenwood via Mclure Pass. There will be some views there as well. I'd skip the Grand Mesa and spend the extra time in the National Park and other places long hwy 133. Maybe even a side trip to Marble if you have the time and inclination. The rock slide damage on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood ws repaired a couple of months ago.

Don't miss The Black Canyon!!

BeanMan